A guide to playing with Shen.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Cello Pony

02-15-2011

Hi. I'm a regular Shen player. I am by no means a great Shen, or even a good Shen. But when I play as him, I see my team members make common mistakes. This is understandable; we are humans and are therefore imperfect. We are prone to making mistakes. But it is also our duty as an evolving species to learn from the mistakes of ourselves and others, and finding ways to correct those flaws.

When you play as a tank, you see your peers mess up occasionally (or sometimes alot). I hope this can help you be Shen's bestest friend. :3

WHEN PLAYING WITH A SHEN

Shen's shield does not make you invincible. Now, it's common knowledge Shen is good at saving his allies. He is really, really, really good at saving his allies. His main strength in this aspect is his ultimate, with which he can rescue a near-dead colleague from virtually anywhere in the map.
This is where you run like hell. The purpose of the shield is so that you can escape from the situation without worrying about the loose cleaver or fireball, not so that you can go rambo on the enemy team. When you see that barrier, it means Shen's got you covered while you escape. If you have ghost available, this is a good time to use it. It's not uncommon for a Shen to die in order for his target ally to survive, so don't let his death be in vain. Shen does not want you to come running back and try saving him in an action-romance film twist, he wants you to live. A Shen of reasonable skill should be able to get them off your tail and still survive, though.

When Shen sets a mark on the enemy, he's essentially saying "Focus this person!". There's a reason that when Shen uses his Q on someone, a huge blade appears over there heads instead of a little, insignificant icon. It's like a ping, but that heals you and is way less annoying. Of course, the rule doesn't apply in the laning phase when he's using his Q to harrass. A Vlad may seem like a bit of a threat, but if everyone wails on him at once while Shen has him and his team taunted...

When Shen initiates, you proceed to hand the enemy team their asses on a silver platter with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy. Far to many times has it come to be... that I have everyone in the bush, ready and waiting. The enemy team passes by and starts pushing...
"DASH, TAUNT! FEINT! MARK CARRY! KI STRIKE! KI STRIKE! KI STRI-- Huh? Guys? Where are you?"
When a Shen, or any tank for that matter, gives you and the other 3 a chance like that to destroy the enemy team, you take it. Then you say "Thank you sir, may I please have another". The moment you see the mark over someone's head is the moment you charge out there with your abilities blazing. He doesn't appreciate it if you stay in the bush and wait to see if he can win a 1v5. He can't, but he just made it very possible to win a 5v5.

When Shen starts tanking a tower, you help him take it out. Yes, I know that lone Nidalee who's trying to defend the tower alone can really hurt when she spears you in the face. But if she's daft enough to hang around when the tower is destroyed, you and Shen can score yourselves an easy kill off of her. Don't attack her unless she's really low on health... destroying the tower takes priority over kills, and Shen can't take those blasts forever, especially if there're no minions around for him to trade places with.

Shen can't save everyone. As mentioned before, Shen is good at saving his allies. But he's not a miracle worker. If you run into a 1v3 with half health and offer no explanation beforehand, there isn't much a Shen can do to help you except realise he may be in over his head, save you and run the risk of both of you dying or going about his business and not even considering trying to save you because his ult isn't ready yet (You can check if he does with the TAB menu). And no, it's not okay to die in an outmatched battle you knew you wouldn't win and then blame Shen for not trying to save you. That was your fault, not Shen's. In short; don't always rely on your tank. Be sure to communicate with your Shen so that he can help you out as much as he can.

Thank your tank for a job well done. Tanking isn't a popular role. It's alot to bear on your shoulders, especially as Shen. You have a potential 4 people who could each feel they deserve to be saved more then the last guy, and it's a tradition to blame the tank for something that goes wrong, even if there was nothing he could do. Throughout all my games as Shen, I have only ever been thanked once for saving a team member. Once. I saved a 50HP Vlad from an Akali. She dash attacked him the moment my shield activated on him, and he survived. He said "omg Shen that was perfect". I felt great for pretty much the rest of the game.
My last game, however, our 2 squishies were being chased by a Malz, a Cho' and a Nidalee. I came up from behind as they just passed the river, taunted them, took their shots for a few seconds so that their attention was drawn to me, taunted them again and baited all three of them into the forest. They were then eradicated by our Kat and Olaf as they chased me through the jungle. Our squishies survived and our carries got 3 easy kills. Was I thanked? No. I don't expect to be thanked every time, but I felt like I did a really good job there. :'(
So, just be sure to show some appreciation for your tank if he's done a good job. Even that little confidence boost can help change a game.

As I said, I'm by no means a good Shen, so I probably got a thing or two wrong. Feel free to correct me. I hope this helps you out.

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2011

Need to add: never spam Q if using Q will cause you to not have enough energy for E.
That E is much better than Q because you can most likely ki-strike twice due to the E(late game the base damage for Ki strike is 100, and hp% should be about another 100), that means 400dmg ki strike not counting normal attack vs. 230magic dmg vorpal blade.

The Cello Pony

02-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeHX View Post
Need to add: never spam Q if using Q will cause you to not have enough energy for E.
That E is much better than Q because you can most likely ki-strike twice due to the E(late game the base damage for Ki strike is 100, and hp% should be about another 100), that means 400dmg ki strike not counting normal attack vs. 230magic dmg vorpal blade.
This guide is more for fighting with Shen instead of as him. But that info is indeed very useful. Thankees.

FaerellG

02-15-2011

I love you man. I keep getting into games where people are complaining "Shen why don't you use your ult?"

"Um...I did, you were getting focused in a 1v5. The shield went away and you died before I could finish the ult so it canceled."

Moebiuz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-16-2011

It's a great guide man. I just want to add that you can tell if someone has his ult up by looking at the green dot in theri character's icon on the left of the screen, if its ready, or black dot if it isn't.

Rikuzen

03-09-2011

yea...the only time I ever got a thanks was when I saved a TF player from being killed in a 2v1 and we actually managed to kill both of them. (he went rambo unlike what you say in your thread but I guess its good we won) The "Shen <3" that followed made me feel really good, but then ended up losing my next three games so D:

Polythemus

03-10-2011

i agreed with alot you said, tanking isn't popular but sometimes u take one for the team especially when everyone wants to be the week's free carry. thanks are appreciated. Well done sir.