Shaco guide by a 1700+ player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HHH Tegn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-07-2011

I've never tried shaco much, but I've always wanted to test him. Especially his jungling(I love to jungle) So thanks for the guide.

WdBlazer

04-07-2011

I have main shaco for a month now ever since I read this guide lolz! Using Shaco require a high skill ceiling, I screwed quite alot of time jungling at the start and basically lose the game, and also the knowledge whom and when to gank.

Recently I started to try counter jungle the other team and he is amazing if you can use him well. Got to say thanks to this guide man lolz!

I noticed theres a problem if I try to jungle in purple (the top). After my Jitb popped, the golem and lizard turn and walk back to their spot, healing back to full health. I uses the exact distance and spot as I did in the blue spot, anyone got the same problem as me?

HHH Tegn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WdBlazer View Post
I have main shaco for a month now ever since I read this guide lolz! Using Shaco require a high skill ceiling, I screwed quite alot of time jungling at the start and basically lose the game, and also the knowledge whom and when to gank.

Recently I started to try counter jungle the other team and he is amazing if you can use him well. Got to say thanks to this guide man lolz!

I noticed theres a problem if I try to jungle in purple (the top). After my Jitb popped, the golem and lizard turn and walk back to their spot, healing back to full health. I uses the exact distance and spot as I did in the blue spot, anyone got the same problem as me?
i did it sucked cuz that was my first game as him in a normal game

WdBlazer

04-07-2011

You tried jungle with him in your first game? I went to custom game a few times to get the timing right for his jitb and stuff, still crash and burn in my first few normal games with him lolz. For him, rune is very important in jungling.

ViSiOnInG

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skafferen View Post
Thx for the fast reply. I think im getting the point, I have just been too scared to just farm early waiting for proper ganks because Shaco just own so hefty in early ganks. Will try it out and focus more on counterjungle-countergank if my lanes are too pushed.
Some other considerations:
1. About ward placement. do you prefer placing wards in bushes? cus thats what i mostly do for maximizing vision.
2. Wards in their jungle i usually put on red+blue through the wall so i can see the buff and smite steal it without having to take the risk, "facechecking" the buffs. Is that how you do it too?
3. is it valid to "almost never gank"(assuming the team just dont know how to bait/let enemy push) and just steal their jungle? can games actually be won this way? Or do i have to get kills/make them retreat ganking.
4. How do you react when pps start flaming you for pushing instead of defending when 4 teammates hold a tower vs 5 enemies?
I hope this isnt too much for you but i have a feeling your not bothered by all the Qs?
Yeah sometimes you really don't have an opportunity to gank early on, just focus on farming/counter jungling. haha its alright, I don't mind answering questions, I'm glad to be helping players out!

1. I think the most important wards are wards in the river. baron and dragon wards are very good because they not only give vision of these important objectives but can also give vision of route's that people will most likely go through when trying to gank.

Most bushes are good spots for wards. Any bush coming/going from or on the river is a good spot. the bush beside wraiths is a good spot, bushes by the buffs are good spots. Another good spot is the area outside of enemy wraith camp(closer to river), theres like a little ramp there lol.

2. Shaco doesn't have to be afraid of facechecking/exploring enemy jungle that much because deceive is really good in the jungle, because you can just jump over walls. I would prefer to put the ward in the bush beside the buffs.

3. No, It is not a good idea to never gank. Right after you finish red+blue(assuming you're using my route) you might not be able to get a kill, but it is worth it to attempt ganks (on solo lanes) just to blow summoner spells/do damage. this will give advantage to your solo's and is always a good thing. Because the enemies had to use their escape summoner spells, your teammates can easily get a kill in a couple minutes, or you can even attempt another gank in 1-2 minutes. It's just really annoying to play against shaco when you are gank a lot.

You can also force fights to happen early game, when your team is stronger/more prepared. box up dragon, tell your team to get ready. get rid of their wards and you can either take dragon or get some kills. Just know when is a good time. Shaco also very good at getting dragon because if he is ever in danger you can just deceive away.

4. Well I'm not sure what elo you are in, but at 1600+ most people know Shaco's role on the team. Just tell your team that to defend while you push. Shaco really just takes a lot of experience and awareness. If the enemy are all 5 mid you can't push by yourself, unless one of the lanes is already pushing hard, and you can threaten towers(which will usually force the enemy to come get you).

If you ganked effectively enough, your team should do well 4v5 defending a tower. If not, then you need to get to your team, its good for shaco to come enter a team fight a little late. Shaco still has a role in team fights. He's just bad at trying to get towers 5v5. because he is melee and squishy as ****.

ViSiOnInG

04-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WdBlazer View Post

Yes shaco just takes a lot of practice, but he is really fun and worth taking the time to get good at. And yes, counter-jungling is really good, if you can kill the enemy jungler early on you can almost gaurantee a win, as long as your team isn't feeding hardcore. Because with the enemy jungler under-leveled/ without buffs he cannot help his lanes. While you can continue ganking, take advantage early game.

And yes each jungler is a little bit different. Just don't place the box to far away, as long at it won't activate until you pull the big lizard/golem to it, thats a good distance.

ViSiOnInG

04-07-2011

volleyball.... bump!

Skafferen

04-08-2011

Ok thanks! this really helps, just been called AWESOME and OP two games in a row:=) your strategy really helps my play im almost at 1400 ELO now (EU).
1. Have you ever used Wits end? I find it kinda useful instead of bloodrazors or both if fed in case they have manarelying team, mumu/blitz/olaf/rammus etc.
2. Is it ever viable to countergank their blue at lvl 1 5v5 fight? I always say no cuz it **** my early flow, but whats your opinion?

ViSiOnInG

04-08-2011

No I have never used witts end, I haven't really used it much, but I believe it is an underrated item and situationally can be good when you need some more MR or have low mana base champs like sion etc.

I would never try to gank their blue at lvl 1. When Shaco doesn't have his boxes messed with he is the fastest jungler. So you just want to protect him and do your own jungle route without problems.

iHarlequin

04-08-2011

Interesting guide, though there are some things I disagree about:

1) Smite. I'm against taking a summoner spell that will help you for up to level 6. I've used it several times on my Shaco, and whilst it's great for jungling, it is useless mid-to-late game. Getting another summoner spell can be better, even early-game, allowing you to get easy kills or avoiding deaths.

2) Wriggle's Lantern. If you're struggling with your health, get a Vampiric Scepter -- it doesn't become as useless as Wriggle's late-game, since you can transform it into a Bloodthirster -- whereas the Lantern just becomes inventory-fodder later on. Even its ward, which does help, isn't that useful when you think that you can just place a JitB, that lasts 1:30 minutes.

3) Ignite. It's very useful, even late-game: a true damage, 410 nuke is nothing to joke about. Early-game, it's even better, and will get you those kills while your Shiv is on the cooldown.

4) Ghostblade vs. Infinity Edge. This boils down to the type of Shaco I build, which basically exploits the +20% backstab damage, added to the 120% damage from coming out of Deceive (and its auto-crit), with Trinity's Force 150% increase in damage and the critical damage runes, which when surmounted with the Infinity's Edge increment of base crit. damage to 250%, can you lead you to something bordering 400+~% with a critical.

Other than that, the guide is very solid, and your reasons may be better than my own. I just say this because the way I play Shaco is different. The tips are great, good job.