[Mini-Guide] Body by Judah: an Alistar Combo guide.

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Judah the Lion

02-07-2010

(Current as of patch: June 2010)
Most of the content within this guide has not changed much from patch to patch, but I'll be sure to try and keep it updated in case of things like animation change and stun duration, if it has a significant enough impact on game play; the following sub-section will give you an idea of how useful the guide currently is.

• Surprisingly enough, most of Ali's combo's listed in this guide have been reverted. This is a quick update, and I'll be delving more deeply into what's going on with Ali this patch, but, again, most everything, from a couple plays this patch, have shown most things in this guide to be useful once more! n_n

Welcome to my comprehensive, mini-guide to Alistar's combos. In this guide, I'll be explaining how to up your 'Ali game by teaching you a few ways to correctly utilize what he has to offer in the ways of combo mechanics, allowing you to make the absolute most out of his damage potential, and maximizing efficiency in combat.

Some of these techniques aren't exactly super easy to pull off under stressful situations if you haven't practiced, so don't get discouraged if you fail, but hopefully, after you've attempted to understand how and when you should try these moves, you'll be able to consistently pull them off when you need to.

Before I start, I had a little thread (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=46500) that'll give you some insight on learning about a certain technique that makes Ali so good, because I'm not going to cover its innards much in this guide, only its execution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**********************ALISTAR COMBOS BY JUDAH********************
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here, I'll be explaining the tools Ali has available to him, from the easiest to the most difficult, but before I start, I must explain what makes all of these combos both worthwhile and possible: the item Sheen. Simply put, Sheen allows Ali a surprisingly high damage prowess with the use of proper timing and ability use. Also, this item is typically used in Alistar's best, and most prolific builds already for its synergy with his passive, thus a win-win for those looking to properly learn how to play Ali.

Video demonstrations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tERzzYUWy6w

With the video, I'm the Ali and rewt is the guy recording (I lack recording stuff). Here, I'm demonstrating the actions that happen when the combos are taking place. However, when on the receiving end, I didn't quite see all the swings in between abilities due to me not actually being the one recording, for whatever reason, but maybe that will give you guys some incentive to try them out for yourselves! Enjoy!

In order, the video demonstrates the Head-Butt Proc., Mini-force, BnB proc., the missed Head-butt M.F.P. Sheen proc. (even though I sound like it was it, I later realized it was whiffed, but it'll help you differentiate the two), and the successful M.F.P. just to give you an idea of how they pan out-notice the "shake" Ali does before the mini-force, which is indication of a landed, Sheen powered auto-attack.

Head-butt Proc.: To execute this, you simply connect with a Head-butt, then as you connect and begin to knock them away, tag them with a right click/swing for the Sheen proc. This is the simplest combo to pull off, but is useful for harassment and reliably tagging last hits on fleeing opponents.

“Bread and Butter” combo: The “BnB” of Ali players is his Flash/Ghost in combo. I fibbed a bit about only needing Sheen to make all of these possible, but this is just overly apparent as a positioning tool.

To pull this off, all you need to do is make sure your Flash or Ghost spell will set you in a place adjacent to your target, use Pulverize, then while they are stunned with the now 2.2 second stun, walk in front of them and use Head-butt to lob them back into your team/minions/tower for a probable kill, or at the very least a chunk of them left behind.

“BnB-Proc.": This is very similar to the combo above, but instead it's intended to actually start taking advantage of the item Sheen, and making it work for you when articulating the BnB.

Here, you'll Flash or Ghost in as normal and use Pulverize, but instead of just letting them land and walking in front of them, you'll be aiming to slap them while airborne for a nice Sheen proc. Then, as they land, use Triumphant Roar to proc. yet another Sheen activation, hitting them yet again for the damage. Finally, after you've hit them in the head for the second time, if you've properly landed everything quickly and smoothly, you'll be able to be in front of them in time for a Head-butt back into your team/minions/tower (if you have enough attack speed/Lichbane, you can also land a final blow as you use Head-butt at the end, but it's highly unreliable.)

“Mini-Force” combo: Here, Alistar will be emulating Malphite's ultimate Unstoppable Force by using Head-butt and Pulverize in conjunction with one another, but in a slightly “smaller” (smaller range and stun duration) package.

This technique alone is one of the reasons why Ali is so useful and devastating in higher tiers of play, by allowing him the ability to close in on your opponent(s) and landing area-of-effect stuns frequently, virtually giving skilled players Maplh's ultimate every 15 seconds or so.

To execute this, you'll be using Head-butt, and as soon as the animation ends, wait a few frames (it's about 4) and use Pulverize. As they fall, you can interject elements from the BnB to rack up the Sheen damage--to maximize your efficiency, you should--and completely devastating the poor guy/Yi/Twitch that didn't quite get the memo that you were there to rock.

"Sheen Flash" combo: With this sequence, Alistar will be utilizing the "Head-butt proc." combo, but the moment you complete your Sheen connect, you use Flash to take advantage of your opponent's new found position, and hitting Pulverize the instant you appear for a great forced move and AOE stun. Be sure to take a swing as your enemy is falling for the Sheen damage, a Triumphant Roar for a Sheen proc. and finally a last hit for some great damage.

This tool can be used to great effect for ambushing around towers and brush traps, but be weary of using this now due to the huge cool down of Flash. Typically, it'll be a better idea to just walk up to the enemy and Pulverize after the Head-butt proc., but the Flash usage will lend you a ton of pressure in a short time span if you need it.

“M.F.P.” or “Mini-Force-Proc.” combo: So, you thought the basic "Mini-Force" technique above was difficult? Well, if you haven't completely learned to land it at least %90 of the time, do not attempt the following.

This next bit is an extension on the above combo, but it becomes more difficult because it elaborates on the most difficult portion of the combo: the Head-butt connect.

Pulling off the M.F.P. Requires you to go in as normal with Head-butt, but instead of just using Pulverize, you'll be right-clicking your target at the very instant you connect, proc.'ing a Sheen hit. Instantaneously after landing this hit (you won't have time to think, and will require both practice and a non-bad computer), you'll have just enough frame time to land Pulverize, allowing you to follow up with a hit, a Triumphant Roar, another proc., and if you want to beast on someone, your ultimate and yet another proc. This combo results in some BIG damage, but it's a very difficult move to use frequently.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the read, and hopefully this mini-guide helps you become a better Alistar player! I'm trying to promote this as much as possible because I created this thread to help people better understand Ali's potential. It makes me sad seeing aimless players not knowing the span of his capabilities, yet seriously trying to "main" him.

*Many thanks to rewt and ShowMeYourMoves for helping me with some of the guide, and uploading the demonstration video! Rewt and 'Show are world renowned as a famous MOBA players in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, China and across Asia, and have won many arena tournaments. I greatly appreciate the help, guys!

("*": shout-outs.)

Thanks for the read and enjoy.

Judah the Lion

02-07-2010

reserved

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-07-2010

Since Sheen has 3 sec CD, I highly doubt anyone would let you pull of BnBproc combo (Not with TR in the rotation). If they do, they probably aren't worth using all those combos on to begin with.

Judah the Lion

02-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocolatl View Post
Since Sheen has 3 sec CD, I highly doubt anyone would let you pull of BnBproc combo (Not with TR in the rotation). If they do, they probably aren't worth using all those combos on to begin with.
Works every time--call it a bug, but if any of this lands, and you know when to do it, you net kills.

I've had some inconsistencies with the Sheen CD, but you can pop it off more often than you'd think, but that does remind me to make a note of it.

Moreover, yes, there is oft a delay in timing involved to span out that Sheen CD with the BnBproc., but since this is a guide for everyone, new and vet., I didn't want to overcomplicated things too much.

Thanks for your contribution.

Stoneglacier

02-07-2010

I don't understand the mini-force combo.

Headbutt will knock them away, how can you hit them with pulverize right after?

devotionx

02-07-2010

amazing mini guide, show off how to do monsterdamage with just a sheen or a triforce..very nice and thanks a lot for the "headbutt+sheen" combo. Didnt know this could work

dovvntempo

02-07-2010

just tried this in a bot game. That is some surprising damage.

rewt

02-08-2010

great guide, +1 also for making it readable

Judah the Lion

02-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneglacier View Post
I don't understand the mini-force combo.

Headbutt will knock them away, how can you hit them with pulverize right after?
Hey, Stone, and thanks for the post.

To pull it off, you'll be hitting Pulverize about a half second or so after you connect with Head-butt. Watch for the new animation to start and hit "Q". Try it in a practice game against some bots and it'll become easier to understand and pull off.

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking about getting some vids. going for you guys. I think it'd help the newer players get a grasp on when to do what sooner.

Ćhang

Recruiter

02-08-2010

zzz too long, too much use of big words ... grrr english not so good .... j/k good guide

12345 ... 8