Katarina tips & tricks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ionic Breeze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2011

Hi all,
Here are some tips and tricks that I have used when playing Katarina, feel free to include more! Note that this is my own personal point of view, please have constructive criticisms ONLY. Thanks!

1) Always start off with a Doran's item, the extra boost in HP helps! Personally I prefer Doran's Shield, with the 120 HP and 10 armor it helps.

2) Always start with Bouncing blade, never start with Shunpo or worse, killer instincts.. This helps farm minions. If the opponent is hiding behind a minion, always aim for the last minion and hope that it bounces off to their champion

3) Personally, I always go for Hextech Gunblade plus an extra Hextech revolver for the spellvamp. This has saved me countless times, plus works very effectively when there are 3 champions. This heals you quite a lot! Never underestimate spell vamps! I've had triple kills with this. Remember, Hextech Gunblade can be activated to slow down champs up to 50%

4) Never, ever Shunpo into a group of 4 or more champions.. I always end up dying.. No matter how much spell vamp you have.. lol

5) If you get stunned / silenced or any other debuff a lot, consider getting Quicksilver Sash. The debuff removal HELPS!

6) Personally I go for 10 points in offense (getting the Magic Penetration + improved ignite) and the other points are invested into Defense. The increased movement speed on a successful dodge helps a lot

7) Before you shunpo into a group of champions and use your ultimate, consider your options and see how you can shunpo out of it if/when necessary.

8) Rylai's Scepter can slow people down up to 30%

9) Skill progression, I usually go for Ultimate > Bouncing Blade > Killer Instincts > Shunpo. Killer instincts cannot be underestimated, as it increases damage of your ult PER dagger thrown (correct me if I'm wrong on this)

10) For summoner spells, just a matter of preference but I usually use Ghost / Ignite. Ghost is better than Flash IMO, in case you need to run out of the base after buying items.

Any comments? =)

Ionic Breeze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-09-2011

Oh, one question, does Madred's Bloodrazor do the 4% damage when using Bouncing blade or Katarina's Ultimate? Or is it on auto-attacks only?

TL Frolo

03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionic Breeze View Post
Oh, one question, does Madred's Bloodrazor do the 4% damage when using Bouncing blade or Katarina's Ultimate? Or is it on auto-attacks only?
no
also gunblade>revolver is bad

and R>Q>E>W
AP kat's damage comes from voracity and shunpo after your ult goes off

flash ignite is also stronger most of the time then ghost/ignite because you can escape from more situations then ghost

also 9/21/0 masteries

ZXPrototype

03-09-2011

lvl1 shunpo if you are ganking jungle.

Bumbah

03-09-2011

9/21/0 is best
ignite/exhaust
R>Q>E>W grabbing your first W at level 3
I like boots + 3hp pots to start. Then rush hextech,rylais,rabadon, with sorc boots some where in there

TL Frolo

03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbah View Post
9/21/0 is best
ignite/exhaust
R>Q>E>W grabbing your first W at level 3
I like boots + 3hp pots to start. Then rush hextech,rylais,rabadon, with sorc boots some where in there
get w at 4 and don't build hextech if you are building rylais and deathcap
deathcap implies that you are stacking AP, gunblade gives **** for AP

OptimisticC

03-09-2011

I did a lot of mathcraft (taking from several sources and doing calculations) and found that a balance of AD and AP (hybrid) yields overall best damage. Hybrid has close to the damage of an AD BB and is better than an AP BB. Hybrid also comes very close to AP Shunpo damage and is also greater than AD Shunpo. The best part is with a hybrid build, you effectively do the most Death Lotus damage than either AD or AP. I used these items in my calculations;

Sorc Boots
Rylai's
Gunblade
Deathcap
Gunblade OR Banshee
Gunblade

Banshee's viel is really for CC heavy teams. Unless you know when to hop in to do an ulti, it's good to get a viel everytime.

Bumbah

03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimisticC View Post
The best part is with a hybrid build, you effectively do the most Death Lotus damage than either AD or AP.
Exactly. I grab Hextech gunblade first since BB scales *slightly* better with AD, but do build mostly AP by end-game.

TL Frolo

03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimisticC View Post
I did a lot of mathcraft (taking from several sources and doing calculations) and found that a balance of AD and AP (hybrid) yields overall best damage. Hybrid has close to the damage of an AD BB and is better than an AP BB. Hybrid also comes very close to AP Shunpo damage and is also greater than AD Shunpo. The best part is with a hybrid build, you effectively do the most Death Lotus damage than either AD or AP. I used these items in my calculations;

Sorc Boots
Rylai's
Gunblade
Deathcap
Gunblade OR Banshee
Gunblade

Banshee's viel is really for CC heavy teams. Unless you know when to hop in to do an ulti, it's good to get a viel everytime.
this is not true since the deathcap patch assuming you can max a mejais if you can't your damage will still be comparable to hybrid but you won't be a glass cannon and you have magic pen and an aoe slow
AP>all
basically if you intend to build deathcap each successive gunblade loses damage relative to items that give more AP(rylais, void staff if you include pen, zhonyas, mejais, blue elixir)

sniperfodderz

03-09-2011

Not going into the builds but here are some other tips that I've picked up.

Your passive means that a kill or assist will refresh all of your cooldowns. Early game this means that if you have circa 300 health, you can effectively tower dive if you know that their minion wave is comming to their turret. Shunpo onto that low health hero, drop bouncing blade if they survive, Shunpo out to the minions.

Killer instincts is not quite so worthless. You want one rank in it by level 6. If you're harassing with BB, then that means that you have a greater chance of doing full damage. If you're laning against Mundo or someone else who gets gimped by lowered health gain, double the good stuff. More importantly, it's effect on shunpo gives you more liberty to commit to kills. Taking 15% less damage can mean the difference between finishing off that pesky Ryze or getting burst down before you finish your lotus+bb. Also you can take 15% less damage from Karthus ult, which is cute if nothing else, saved me maybe once.

How to exploit bouncing blades + killer instincts for fun and profit:
1) ready killer instincts when the enemy is tower hugging. While the enemy is in sight and the minion wave is within BB distance
2) throw the dagger. The dagger picks targets based on what's within sight range now, this includes 2 or so minions and the enemy champ(s)
3) smile as you whittle down their health from outside turret range.
Shunpo teleports you to target. Doesn't have to be an enemy. If you're an Akali player, internalize this. There's nothing like having 4 enemy champions try to gank you, only to find you about a mile away next to the head of your minion wave as soon as they show.

Now, on a more personal note, I prefer a 21/0/9 build, especially if I know I'm going mid. The increased exp gain is worth it because you'll have your ult a little bit earlier than them which is enough time for you to shunpo over to them and introduce them to the death lotus mechanics- now with the havoc boost.

I run exhaust instead of ignite. The reason being this: The improved ignite is good for the extra 10 ap and the, some 200(?) damage of ignite being popped. Improved exhaust is (a) immediately available, doesn't require you to put an awkward number in like 10 to get spell pen and (b) it reduces their MR while slowing them. This roughly translates into them taking more damage per dagger and taking more daggers. If it's at least 3 more daggers it should roughly work out, I'm pretty sure it'll be more.

Also, summoner spells don't break channels so if you really want, for the lolz, you can rush rylais to keep them in lotus range and drop improved rally which would essentially buff both sides of the lotus (the ad and the ap component).

Lastly, in my opinion, builds aren't the most important thing for a champion. Kat gets the most benefit from damage, but I don't disagree with people who put survivability on her though, it's simply that in a balanced team, you'll be out of range while they throw abuse onto the tank, going in only when they've exhausted all of their cc. As a Karthus going against a slightly fed Kat, it was really hard to not try to silence her early to keep my damage output up.