Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Too high to win?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aeoneth

03-04-2011

Basically I haven't won in 4 days... make that 5 now since this day has passed over at the time of this writing.

not once in my last 5 days have i won a match. Everytime Ive gotten close, we've lost because the minions crashed through the towers we weren't pushing on. Most of the times it doesn't even get to that point. Usually i just get pub stomped.

Admittedly I have started losing since i decided to start playing Sona... but i dont think that alone is the reason. I've been paying attention to where I am as well as my items and im usually positive on k/d let alone k/d/a as a whole (ie combining k and a). But i just keep losing.

The weird thing is before this i was on a hot streak... winning match after match after match. So now I have to ask is it possible if you keep winning to end up getting matched against really good opponents and ending up getting pub stomped.

Big Bang Typhoon

03-05-2011

I think using Sona might well be your problem, Sona is alright support but it isn't about HER k/d/a, it's about everyone elses.If you aren't able to translate your support abilities into kills for your team and wins in the 5v5 team fights then having a "positive" ratio is the least of your concerns.

I'm pretty new myself but as far as I can tell from the matchmaking it's pretty close to completely random for "Normal" mode (Haven't ever played ranked so can't comment). Because it's so random the odds of getting owned by the other team are about as good as the odds of you owning them, so if you're losing literally without fail, and it seems to coincide with a hero switch, it's probably you're "fault".

By fault I don't mean that you necessarily did anything wrong, but as a support hero it's just so crucial that you and your team mesh well together and in a public game with no ventrilo or communication between players it's highly unlikely that you will be able to coordinate in such a way that your support abilities actually contribute very much, even if you try really hard. Maybe you have a sweet line up for your ultimate and you can pop some abilities to great effect, but if your team charges in two seconds late the advantage has evaporated. You just can't get that level of teamwork in a public game with no real-time communication.

So really it's more their fault for not playing to the teams strength which is a well supported push with a character like sona pumping everyone up. However at the same time you have to acknowledge that in a PUG that "them's the breaks".

Dekord

03-05-2011

Too high to win?

Stop doing drugs!

In all seriousness, though, it is likely a lack of communication (what Dread Hands said), bad luck, or you may be in need of more practice with Sona.

In either of the first two cases, sending friend requests to people, forming up a premade with them, and having Ventrilo for it can be a great help.

If it is the last case (actually, in any case) I recommend the Proving Grounds: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=440060

Having a mentor is extremely helpful to learning champions and game mechanics, and its this evening as well. Try it out!

Crazyflames

03-05-2011

The more you lose the worse players you play with and agaisn't you will eventualy get a good game and get back up. Sona is probably one of the weaker support champions currently, she's either good for her heal building pure AP, or aura's, which are still mediocre and anyone can buy the aura items, I would recomend playing a champion that can carry the team (sona isn't one of them) such as master Yi so you don't have to depend on your team being good to win.

Aeoneth

03-05-2011

Ahhh i see thanks guys... i didnt think that miscommunication/ lack therof would be so crucial to winning especially with Sona. I have a couple of friends i play with but they're like 2x my summoner level so i guess they're bringing me up to their level.

I guess for random matches I'll just have to suffice with Tristana, Kayle, Singed and Ezreal (when he's free) until i get some more IP for some unlocks

Zizheng

03-05-2011

Hmm i would recommend Janna or Fiddlesticks, they are both easy to play yet extremely powerful ^^. Maybe Nasus too.

Aeoneth

03-06-2011

Hahaha funny story. I just tried to play a game... Its 2 am. My internet is in the ****ter so im stuck playing at 400+ ping.

We won!!

COMMENCING WALL OF TEXT.... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
Playing Sona (because im stubborn like that) game starts out and I say hi to my team
game freezes... so i back out and rejoin. hvent left champ select so i repick everything game goes to start again
2nd freeze.
restart AGAIN and load into the game.. I apologise about random crash number 2 and we get under way.

Its me twitch, rammus, singed and tryndamere vs kassadin, kennen, renekton, fiddlesticks, and Nunu.

game starts and twitch and rammus both go mid and i go bot. me and twitch trade at 1st minion spawn, then i rejoin twitch at bot. were up against kassadin and renekton, while rammus is now against kennen.

game goes pretty normal me and twitch manage to get a few kills, (mostly renekton) i get slain a couple times by a kassadin assasination (he looped around when we started attcking his tower). I get one really bad lag burst and see renekton at 2 bars and kassadin nowhere to be seen. I THEN see me dead kassadin on top of me and renekton at full health. ouch.

i respawn and hurry to help twitch at which point we get them both. twitch goes shopping and i divert north and help rammus get a kennen kill (hes already lost a turret). top gets hammered and as i manage to get kill kennen (thank you Q), kassadin begins to rush me. i spam e and w trying to get away but get killed right as i pass our former frontline turret.

respawn but have Aegis sheild now. our team gets kassadin and i divert to bot and try to push the tower with my minions. almost get the tower but then renek lunges out at me. i get decently away but he still kills me.

Respawn and try again. I know theres 3 mid and 2 top so i boost down there and mash that tower down.

hit b and return to catch up with my team and heal a weakened Rammus. i E him enough speed that he gets away and mash q and w to heal the rest of my teammates and start hurting a couple of them. we begin to push and hit their first mid tower. Down.. move on to second tower start hitting it and Fiddlesticks TPs in. I see kassadin and renk coming form behind the tower so i fire off my ult. stun all 3 of them and my team absolutely destroys Fiddlesticks. the turrets target (don't remember who) backs off and we continue to fire on tower bringing it down as well. we're weak so we mass retreat back. Kassadin and renek giving chase with a backup of kennen and nunu. I get back to our tower and q at kassadin. he dies. renekton then kills me but cant get out of the turrets range. hes down as well. I quickly build a glacial shroud and archangels and begin helping my team push top a bit. rammus scouts mid and we notice the enemy team cant be seen. BARON. we run there and sure enough their all there and have him at half. me and twitch are the only ones so far so he mashes on kassadin. i fire off q and my ult. brining enough time for my team to join us. we kill most of them but kassadin and kennen get away. twitch died in the onslaught

We kill Baron without twitch (at his request) and push mid again. we get the last tower down when the enemy team rushes us again. tryn continues top. we destroy the inhib but almost lose all out lives. nunu ults and i try to fire my ult to stop him but get stopped by latency. (stupid 400+ ping)

we retreat and I grab a frozen heart. as well as start working on a rabadons (if it had only gotten so far).
Tryn meanwhile smashes through all top turrets and continues to destroy the top lane inhib. we run back and i manage to save tryn from a couter attack at which point we continue to smash through their counter offensive. they all retreat and try to hold us off at their base. they make the unfortunate mistake of grouping up and i hit them with an ult. next minute their all dead and a surrender vote has gone through. 5/5 agree.

Final stats 9 kills, 5 deaths, 22 assists.

I feel awesome now. And loved the teamwork in that game

Burbinator

03-06-2011

****ing loled @ "kenneth"

+1

TriggerLily

03-06-2011

Sona in a match requires much higher CC abilities on a few team mates and good communication. The main issue being that if just one person slacks off then suddenly the whole team starts failing. The laning phase can be really easy sometimes though due to just the small heals and people turret diving when they really shouldn't :3 Once the team fights start up is when the major problems happen. Keeping at least maybe one stun and one massive slow might correct this but I haven't been able to get enough people who play those kind of champs to test it out.

If Sona doesn't work out but you still wanna play support then Janna would be a good bet. She has a shield, a heal, small global speed boost from her passive and is VERY disruptive in a team fight which can also save team mates and cause a good distraction

Aeoneth

03-06-2011

woops... fixed that thanks for pointing that out burbinator