What's wrong w/ Champion lvling?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nutmeg

08-18-2009

Hey all,

I didnt find any other thread about this so I thought I would say something.

Anyone notice that you gain more experience for killing creeps that for killing heroes? I feel like whenever you kill a hero you should get a lot of xp. But there are games when the other team isnt so good and I have like 7-9 kills and im lvl 9 w/ however many assists and someone on the other team will have like 2 kills 3 assists and be lvl 12. That just seems a little odd to me and I think it should be fixed. I should say though, that I am coming from a DOTA perspective on this.

Anyone else experiencing this as well?

Pandemic Smiles

08-18-2009

If a hero gives you 3x more experience, but takes (at least) 3x longer to kill, then overall you'd get just as much experience (or more, and more reliable too) by sticking to the creeps.

Also: considering you have no statistics to say how many creeps you've both killed, is it a possibility you were doing a terrible job of laning and lasthitting?

Nutmeg

08-18-2009

Does last hitting give you more exp?

But I also heard that this game uses diminishing returns...so what that means is that the more times you kill heroes, the less exp. you get from them. Can someone confirm if this is true or not? Please be someone who actually knows.

But usually when I get a lot of hero kills early in a game...I'm still getting around a lot of creeps. But even if one person has less creep kills but more hero kills than someone, I think it should be fairly obvious that the person w/ more hero kills should have way higher exp. Otherwise...farming would be way better ganking, more gold plus more exp if you are good at last hitting.

Edit:
Here's another example of what I'm talking about. My teammate and I, both at lvl 12, killed a lvl 18 and barely gained any exp. That's ridiculous. Should gain 1-2 lvls from that.

Bianary

08-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg View Post
Does last hitting give you more exp?
Last hitting does not influence xp earned.

kebbek

08-19-2009

There does seem to be someone odd about leveling. In DOTA when you gank 2-3 heroes early game you get around a 2 lvl advantage on them plus some good gold. However, in this game when you go to early gank and even get up to, say, 5 or 6 kills/assists, you are still even with them in levels. It has been this way for me on both sides of the ganking and getting ganked. If you can level just as fast and earn just as much gold by laning as you can ganking, that seems a bit strange.

@ Axidos: How could someone be doing a bad job laning if they are ganking up a storm?

Pandemic Smiles

08-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianary View Post
Last hitting does not influence xp earned.
On the contrary, last hitting appears to double the XP gained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebbek View Post
@ Axidos: How could someone be doing a bad job laning if they are ganking up a storm?
Laning = pushing your lane and destroying towers.
Killing heroes can influence, but does not equal, pushing your lane.
Nutmeg never said what he was doing in his lane, he just said he was killing heroes, so whether he was doing a good job of laning is still up in the air.

If it's as you say and you don't get much XP from killing heroes, then that just makes this game a bit more about laning and creeps, and means there's less of a difficulty curve and the game isn't decided from first blood (like people would often complain DotA) was and that's a world of good.
Killing enemy heroes will still give indirect benefits (they're out of commission for a little while and you can push your lane or w/e) but it won't give you massive XP on top of everything else which would effectively make life incrementally difficult your opponent and incrementally easy for you.

I wonder how much XP towers give compared to heroes and creeps?

Chiablo

08-19-2009

The major benefit to killing heroes is that you prevent them from getting experience for the time it takes them to respawn and make their way back to the creeps. So although you don't level faster, you force them to level slower, therein lies the advantage.

kebbek

08-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiablo View Post
The major benefit to killing heroes is that you prevent them from getting experience for the time it takes them to respawn and make their way back to the creeps. So although you don't level faster, you force them to level slower, therein lies the advantage.
True but not by much now with the -25% death reduction and with revive and the +11% experience gain.

Edit: I am aware that both the death reduction and the experience gain cannot be maxed at the same time.

Ca8UfM31mO9xRYRT

08-19-2009

Except that they're now giving quints (stacked with talents) along with revive that negate the death penalties.

The game is going to become stale if it devolves into last hitting and harassing for the first 15 minutes. Ideally, the skilled players would gank players and then the team pushes the lane. How else could you push lanes effectively against a coordinated team?

kebbek

08-20-2009

Can someone move this to general discussion?