Vlad Runes/ Masteries

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phixate

03-02-2011

So I've been playing Vlad these couple days and..... I absolutely love him. Carrying my ranked games are so much fun.....
Anyways..
I don't know what runes to get for him. So far my rune book is pretty much Nidalee runes which are red magic pen, yellow, mp5/perlvl, blue cooldown reduct, quint flat HP/ flat AP
Now, people are telling me to get a full rune book of AP.... Can anyone give me a good suggestion and if you can, please back it up

Shakurin

03-02-2011

Vlad doesn't need mana, so your seals are being wasted. Glyphs are fine, Quints are fine, and Marks are fine, only suggestion I'd say is to change your seals to AP/level.

Thing about Vlad is... He really does work with any rune setup due to his skillset and cooldowns. Flat AP will benefit your early game (if you do this, I suggest keeping marks with magic pen), but will hurt your late game efficiency a little.

IMO, keeping glyphs on cooldowns are marks on magic pen are essential to any good vlad rune setup. Quints really just depend on your playstyle, but I'd suggest using flat HP since it benefits vlad greatly early game and midgame where you need that slight extra hp most (not to mention the additional AP from this). As for seals, AP/level or hp/level - I suggest AP/level.

Sacull Kinslayer

03-03-2011

^^^

I concur with the above poster on runes completely.

Masteries I would suggest trying out 9/21/0 if you haven't already. No wasted points and it maximizes Vlad's survivability and damage output.

TacoMental

03-03-2011

I run mag pen reds and AP per lvl on yellows and blues and flat ap on my quints. But I like to run a mejais on him and its my first real item. At lvl 9 when my Q is maxed I have a nice build up of AP and a mejai's to start stacking.

JohnnyThrash

03-03-2011

I use magic pen marks, health per level seals, ap per level glyphs, and flat health quints. I think cdr is pretty useless on Vlad because the only spell that is going to be affected really is your ultimate. 5.8% cdr on spells that are 2-4 seconds long are going to be a fraction of a second and I think if you are playing carefully you shouldn't need it and that extra 18ap or so is way better since that's also going to reward you with 1.8 health per level. Also the health runes are going to give you a little extra ap as well. I considered taking the cdr but honestly I don't think it outweighs the extra health/ability power.

JohnnyThrash

03-03-2011

As far as masteries, I do 9/0/21. Just be sure when you take your masteries in utility you don't take anything that has anything to do with mana or it is just wasted. I also run imp ghost/imp flash.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyThrash View Post
As far as masteries, I do 9/0/21. Just be sure when you take your masteries in utility you don't take anything that has anything to do with mana or it is just wasted. I also run imp ghost/imp flash.
You downplay the usefulness of cooldown reduction in your first post, but use the standard cooldown/summoner cooldown mastery setup in your second? There's conflict here somewhere...

MPen Marks, HP/Lvl Seals, AP/Lvl Glyphs, and Flat AP Quints are what I use. Masteries are 9/21/0. Absolutely zero wasted points in defense assuming you skip over SoS and summoner masteries for spells you don't have. Speaking of summoner spells, I run Ignite/Ghost to make getting those crucial early kills easier -- plus, Ignite helps counter any other Vlads you may run into, or anyone else who has more lifesteal than you do.

JohnnyThrash

03-03-2011

I don't really think there's a conflict, I'm not using the utility tree for just the cool down talent. As I said I use ghost and flash so going down the utility tree seems perfectly viable with my play style. And I'm not sure if the runes affect summoner spells so the last point in utility helps a lot in either escaping or chasing. And I only downplayed cdr on runes, obviously if I run 21 in utility I want some but you already get the same amount from the 3 point mastery as you would 9 glyphs and I just think ap glyphs are more useful. Which clearly most people agree with including you, anyways. So I don't understand how there is conflict.

JohnnyThrash

03-03-2011

Also, I think having flat ap quints is a better idea than flat health quints and I will be changing those out when I get the ip. Because with health you get 78 health and 1.95 ap. And with flat ap quints you get 14.85 ap and 26.73 health which is as good as taking an extra flat health quint.

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyThrash View Post
I don't really think there's a conflict, I'm not using the utility tree for just the cool down talent. As I said I use ghost and flash so going down the utility tree seems perfectly viable with my play style. And I'm not sure if the runes affect summoner spells so the last point in utility helps a lot in either escaping or chasing. And I only downplayed cdr on runes, obviously if I run 21 in utility I want some but you already get the same amount from the 3 point mastery as you would 9 glyphs and I just think ap glyphs are more useful. Which clearly most people agree with including you, anyways. So I don't understand how there is conflict.
The conflict exists wherein you use AP glyphs because the CDR glyphs don't compare, yet it's the same story in the mastery trees but you went a way there that's counter to your original reasoning. 6% CDR is what you "gain" by going that far into Utility. Movespeed is nice, summoner masteries are nice, reduced summoner cooldowns are nice... but 6% CDR is the real reason to go that low, especially for Vlad due to having zero mana.

Is 6% CDR worth giving up additional resilience, HP, and 4% FREE AP that also converts into bonus HP? All of these things you state are better than CDR, but you chose CDR in your mastery setup. That's where I see the conflict.