Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Would you want to be able to save multiple mastery builds?

Yes 471 96.12%
No 9 1.84%
Other (explain) 10 2.04%
Voters 490 .

Multiple Mastery pages please.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Upuaut

03-28-2011

This will hopefully not read as a double post. I think this is a very important concern that all of my fellow players have voiced at some point or another. I'm very pleased with the Mastery numbers display and the mouse-overs on the Rune page dropdown. Some additional information on Masteries mouse-over would be helpful. As for this thread. . .I would like to see Rune pages and Masteries merged in some way on the selection screen. This might be best achieved by granting an option to associate your current mastery selections to a Rune page in the Rune Page editing screen. A check box that says something like: [ ] Save my current Masteries to this page. New summoners retain ease of use while advanced players have an additional tool to speed up the selection process.

Cozarkian

03-28-2011

I even support this as an RP-purchase only option. I'm a new player (haven't bought a single champion yet) and buying a mastery page (maybe $3 or 2 for $5) is something I would do today.

New players don't have runes, so they won't buy extra rune pages. The option to buy mastery pages would make some money off new players who just want to be able to take advantage of the free champions more easily while they decide which champions to purchase (with RP or IP).

As it is now, I rush into trying to lock my "favorite champion." If someone beats me to it, I switch to my second favorite and re-do the tree quickly, which I couldn't do if I had 30 talents points. If both of my favorites are chosen, I play a character I'm not (or less) familiar with, using sub-optimal masteries, which generally leads to a less-rewarding experience. It would be really nice to be able to set a master for a character I would like to play, and still have my favorite champions set in reserve if the new champion is chosen. I can't imagine how much nicer this would be if I were level 20.

If the first page is cheap enough to compare it to a rental cost, even if I quit after two weeks I would still feel like it was a good entertainment-to-price ratio.

boourns

UI Designer

03-28-2011

@upuaut if we do masteries pages we will likely not link them to rune pages. I think it is too limiting since your selection of masteries is far more open than runes (because you probably only purchase a subset of available runes, but can access all combinations of masteries at lvl 30).

@all I see a significant portion of players tweak masteries per champion, this suggests that we would need to allow enough mastery pages to support something of that scale or to at least cover your main champs and possibly jungle variations.

AeonMax

03-28-2011

Quote:
boourns:
Take heart, there are many people here at all levels of the company that would like to see this happen. We all see how much sense it makes. Don't know when it will happen, but I know it is a regular annoyance for me.

Let me ask you folks, how do you decide what masteries you take for a champion?

Do you have a common set of masteries that you find yourself re-using between champions or do you tweak your masteries for each champion?

In the absence of mastery pages, a big improvement would be if the entire page didn't have to be cleared. That is, the ability to edit at any time (or optionally clear) and save again.

Lumiare

Recruiter

03-28-2011

Quote:
AeonMax:
In the absence of mastery pages, a big improvement would be if the entire page didn't have to be cleared. That is, the ability to edit at any time (or optionally clear) and save again.

That's actually been around for quite a few patches.

You have to satisfy point requirements obviously, which typically means starting at the top, but you can easily change from something like 9/0/21 to 0/9/21 without touching the utility tree, or shift a point from exhaust to smite by removing the point in Arcane Knowledge and putting it back, etc.

I actually only found this out myself a few patches ago, but my friends tell me it's been around for a while.

Eridrus

03-28-2011

Pendragon is a fan of asking if Riot should stop all development to work on whatever feature we want, and tbh, they should stop all development to work on this and fixing pvp.net.

Anyway, while everyone would like to have as many pages as possible, I think we'd settle for 10. Most of the time you're running some 21/9 build, and there are only 6 ways to put 21 points in 1 tree and 9 in another, and then you can have some others for champion specific pages like my 0/15/15 singed setup.

Since most mastery choices are some slight variation on some standard 21/9 build, even if we couldn't save them all, redoing 3 mastery points is easier than redoing 30.

The Kimera

03-28-2011

Completely agree! I have a very different characters and I use them thinking on the team needs. So, I always have to lose time changing my masteries between spell casters, tanks and dps in each game u_u is very annoying. So I completly agree whith this.

Sorry for my bad English!

Mitch The Mighty

03-28-2011

I really don't see the point in this, it takes like 10 seconds to change masteries.

Upuaut

03-29-2011

Quote:
Mitch The Mighty:
I really don't see the point in this, it takes like 10 seconds to change masteries.

Several gamers such as yourself may not require a change to the present Mastery system for an ability to recall the details of its key summoner ability buffs/attribute modifications.

I like to think of myself as speaking for the pejorative "lazy masses." A casual player. For many of my friends and myself, the call to arms is meet with frequent breaks to the restroom, refrigerator, or counter of the local LAN center.

Sometimes I am brow-beaten by my peers to make a last second change to tank or physical melee which I do not often play. In such cases it would be nice to have a quick click alternative.

RadSavage

03-29-2011

I like the attention that such an important issue is getting from Riot. All-in-all these forums have more developer involvement than most.

Asskissing aside, I adjust masteries differently per hero. A few set mastery choices would be helpful and it seems that will happen at some point, and that's awesome. What would really be awesome is being able to subtract a mastery point or two. Sometimes I switch my summoner spell and just want to switch the mastery buff for it, or whatnot.