What is kiting in LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

psikoticsilver

02-04-2010

I learned about the word Kiting from GW, where it was refered to as diagonal or zig-zag strafing meant to dodge skillshots / auto attacks.

What does it mean for this game? I ask because I've heard speak of kiting without dodgeable skills or movement involved.

Takkles

02-04-2010

Keeping your distance so that you do damage, but you don't get hit.

Edit: Forgot, another form of kiting is just keeping your distance(with slows/stuns/etc, or just outrunning them), not necessarily doing damage and leading them somewhere(your team, tower, etc)

Dearnis

02-04-2010

Ashe's a good one for it, against a melee hero. Imagine a melee hero trying to chase her down, and her running away and using Frost Arrows to keep him from ever catching up.

Kiting can be hard to pull off at times, because people can figure out when it's a bad idea to charge and won't give you an opportunity to do it - but that's generally the idea.

Captain Scro

02-04-2010

I cant come up with a decent definition so ill give an example of kiting in this game:

Ashe and Udyr are both solo mid vs one another. Ashe uses her range to keep shooting udyr in the face and then dropping back as he charges towards her (keeping out of his range). Then if she gains enough ground or he turns around/stops chasing she immediately starts shooting him again. If he comes for her then she falls back again and repeats the process.

edit: **** beat to the punch....

AmyOverlord

02-04-2010

If I'm right here, with certain champions, you're able to kite and still do damage.

Teemo - He has a short attack animation. His Blind Dart and mushrooms also allow significant kiting.

Sivir - Able to throw a Boomerang Blade and keep running. (Sort of)

Ashe - One of the best kiters in the game. She can keep you slowed with Volley/Frost Shot. You have substantially less movement speed than she does, so she can continiously attack and kite you out of range.

Just a few examples. I'm sure there are plenty more.

Cyatomorrow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2010

Kiting in MMOs refers to running away from something and shooting it, while keeping it out of range of attacking you.

Sort of like flying a kite.

Mr Scorpio

02-04-2010

Most notably, a ranged champion can kite a melee champion by running from him/her while still shooting projectiles at your opponent. This is best performed by allowing your opponent to think they might have the opportunity to catch you, which in turn keeps them chasing you. So any time you are able to run from your opponent while dealing damage to them and not taking much damage in return, you are kiting.

You can also consider some forms of kiting as bait, where you try to lure an opponent close to you so your team can swarm out of hiding and... well you get the idea. Basically any time you lure your opponent, giving them some sort of false hope to beat you up.

Varmin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2010

You don't need to be attacking it. Simply it just means having someone/something chase you, but them not being able to attack you.

Being better at kiting and normally to get them to continue chasing you means being able to attack them, but not always.

Macktimus Prime

02-04-2010

Kiting in general is when you're keeping something focused on following you, while keeping out of damageable range.

In LoL there is no kiting, it's more baiting than anything.

Mr Scorpio

02-04-2010

Quote:
In LoL there is no kiting, it's more baiting than anything.
Tell that to every person who's ever died to singed poison as they chased him