AP per level runes worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TFGObi

03-01-2011

Hi all,

Been thinking of switching my caster rune build over from:

-Magic pen
-Manna regen per level
-CDR
-Flat HP

to

-magic pen
-AP per level
-AP per level
-AP per level

I think you end up with like an extra 50-60 odd AP, and for example on Lux i get CDR boots and the new tomb which has 20% CDR as well so the CDR runes are not really needed (imo). Archangels also gives me manna along with clarity.

Is this chnage going to be worth the ip sink?

Way2co0l

03-01-2011

I personally don't think it's worth the tradeoff. For starters, you become much squishier at the beginning of the game, you lose out on the cooldown reduction at the beginning of the game when cooldowns are generally the longest, and the the lack of mana regen will hurt your lane staying power pretty hard. Yea you'll get a little more kick from your abilities but since they're all per level, you won't really notice any significant gain at any one point in time and nothing that a couple of items couldn't have got you in the end.

Ultimately, not worth the extra troubles you'd be giving yourself early game.

TFGObi

03-01-2011

Yeah I see your point. I was thinking about the flat AP runes, however compared to per level they seem like a waste...

Way2co0l

03-01-2011

Well the thing about the flat AP runes is they give quite a bit of an extra kick early game and that bonus slowly fades away so that you don't even notice it anymore by mid-late game. The thing is, that early bonus can sometimes be quite considerable when no one has the items to counter it and could potentially make an early kill easier.

I still don't think it's worth replacing your current setup, but if you where going to do so then the flat AP runes are the better choice IMHO.

Addison16

03-01-2011

First off magic pen is usually better than ap/lvl, so for quints and blues i'd get that instead. If you really want ap quints then get flat ap, cause you would only get an extra 50% if you get the per/lvl ap quint and which would not be worth it since magic pen would give you more damage late round (flat ap is better than magic pen until about the 2-3 lvl of a spell. Oh, and if you are getting ap blues for a healer, then get ap/lvl blues, since they give around 3x as much.

Pieson

03-01-2011

keep yellows as mana regen for most mages. I would suggest MPEN reds, MP5/lvl yellows, flat/per level AP blues, and either flat AP or MPEN quints if you want more agressive runes. The runes you have right now are more safe, and better for learning and mastering a champ. However, once you feel like you are very good with a champ you could think about switching to a more aggressive runeset.

MaxPower2009

03-01-2011

Magic Pen

Scabadoobop

Recruiter

03-01-2011

It would depend. The thing is, if you plan on getting Deathcap, you just multiplied all those AP/lvl runes by its bonus. You can always opt for void staff, however if the enemy team doesn't stack any type of magic resist you end up gimping yourself a little more than if you had magic pen, however since they don't have all that much magic resist, they're also getting hit a little harder. The extra AP will help your farm however. Its trade offs and its all situational.

biomorph

03-01-2011

I have used AP/lvl glyphs on AP Eve because I don't find CDR as a must have on Evelynn. Even with them you rarely get to ravage twice on the same champion during a fight. Hate spike CDR does not need to be lowered more (even that it is quite funny to run around with 40% CDR and spam that like mad!)

But as I found out that AP runes only pay off early game which kinda rules out scaling ones by default. It makes perfect sense to use flat AP runes on Evelynn however because of her high ratio on Ravage which early game is better than MPen. MPen however gets better late game.

So if you want the most benefit early game go flat AP glyphs if you want the benefit late game go MPen.

My current setup is MPen marks, HP Quints, MR5 Seals, Flat AP Glyphs.

I would very much like MPen quints but I need that extra HP early game. And this I claim that what you suggest would gimp you more - especially early game - than it would do you any good.

Bandel

03-01-2011

I use the full ap/level rune page with the magic pen. Calculates to 58 ap at 18 and about 10 magic pen. Cooldown reduction is just way to easy and cheap to get with most builds. Hitting the cap is quite easy without runes. Masteries give you 9 percent already. Get some boots and an elixir and you are about capped.