Do you think the ELO ranked matchmaking needs to be changed?

I think the system is fine as it is. 57 21.51%
I think it does need a change, but not in the way you've suggested it. 98 36.98%
I think the MVP system would be a good addition to ranked games. 110 41.51%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

A Solution to the ELO Hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ruahi

04-07-2011

i played a ranked game where a person didnt connect untill everyone was level 10 or higher so we had a level 1 running around getting hunted by the enemies but to top it off we had another actually say they were going afk laugh at us for having the bad luck of being slotted with him and then leave the game. we played the game out to the inevitable end in the hopes our underleved guy would catch up (he never did) and our leaver would reconnect (he never did either). we lose (obviously) and these guys who support the current system of elo say that i should just play better and get out of elo hell... yeah right

SinfulC

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-07-2011

I see people talking here like they're big shots, thinking that this solo mathcmaking system is fine...

Honestly, you people need to try playing at a 1300 and under ELO, I can guarantee that about 70% of players will be foreigners (Brazilians, Europeans) that will be at 200+ ping all the time, will be disconnecting every 5 minutes, they don't speak english (if they do it's really bad english), they have no common sense on how to play smart (chasing, backing, defending, backdooring, etc), and they blame you for being bad when you can't do anything to save them (cooldowns, no mana, low hp, all the way on the other side of the map).

Personally, I think that if your rating keeps going down just because of the one or two teammates that feed, it's just not fair. I think rating should go off of how well you do that game, kinda like the last line of the original poster, with the automatic MVP rating.

StrangeGesture

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-09-2011

The only way to fixed ranked games is to make people take an IQ test for placement..... but to help improve the gameplay of ranked Riot could easily implement a few changes.

Firstly, REMOVE free week champions in ranked. This will remove the idiots who join the game and try a random champion they've never played before. Sure it would negatively effect some teams who would like to swap champions that the first pick may not own, but may be a free champion. In the end this would help weed out a few trolls from feeding occasionally.

Secondly, the ELO system needs to go. It is a flawed system that punishes good players who get bad teammates. I would recommend a different type of rating system that doesn't make good players lose ELO because of a DCer/AFKer/Leaver/Troll/Bad. I'm not sure what a good fix would be, but there NEEDS to be a change.

Thirdly, GET RID OF THE ILLITERATES. If you CAN NOT read simple English words, then you should NOT be doing ranked matches. Riot needs to add a "latin america" server. In 80% of games you play with Brazilians or other players who do not understand a **** word of English. This DRASTICALLY effects gameplay for those of us whom speak English and not portugese.. you know....since it is an English game...

Edit: you should NOT go up rating just because you lost and you did well in the game. You should just not LOSE rating or lose as much rating if you're at a great KDA and such. Every champion has an equal chance for a good KDA so that sounds fair to me. tanks get assists, carries get kills, support get assists.. you could add tower kills in and such as well. Riot really needs to fix ranked ASAP

Rebate

04-10-2011

Bump for good idea.

RhastaPasta

04-10-2011

This doesn't seem to be the most logical solution to ELO hell. An MVP voting system can be easily manipulated and turns the game in a a popularity contest. Not to mention, it is hard to dispute who was the actual carry of a team, for you have no prior knowledge to which enemy was warding jungle, and support characters/tanks gameplay is hard to judge accordingly making them seem more gimp in hero select for the simple fact that everyone will have even more incentive to pick a carry. People also would be given the potential to troll with their votes giving the award to the worst player on the team. Was a good idea on paper, but in game this just would not work properly.

Jello Eater

04-11-2011

I wrote a speach on this exact subject, and came to the conclusion, rating eachother is the best solution.

Ps. Even Youtube, a total troll fest, isn't exploited that bad, and the legit people's votes outweigh the troll's votes. Just saying

TheLitBull

04-13-2011

Automatic system would be fair. KDA and a few other stats.

Yngve Zephyrous

04-16-2011

Making the ELO rating based on popularity isn't going to work well. Carries will always get upvoted, and proper tanks, supports, and initiators will be ignored.

People will automatically assume K/D/A ratio is the only way to judge a person's usefulness in match, and even so, Assists will probably be ignored.

Voting for the MVP won't help, because overall, it was the team that won the match, even if one person did all the damage, or one person backdoor-ed to victory.

MrAnomaly

04-20-2011

Honestly, I never had any issue with the games I got in Warcraft. Yeah I got some bad games but normally the team composition was even and the other team had bad players too. I'll explain why I mention this in a minute.

I dont mind having to wait a bit extra for a good game if it means losing this stupid Elo system. It was developed for chess, a 1v1 game that it works perfectly for because it bases itself on individual skill, which is PRECISELY why it doesn't work in a 3v3 or 5v5. Trolls will keep you where you will be stuck. Since everyone starts at 1200 Elo, all it takes for some brand new lvl 30 dude that knows nothing about the fundamentals of the game, despite being lvl 30, is to get carried to 1300-1500 Elo by other players and he simply doesn't deserve to be there. Whereas if you are definitely a good player, starting off at 1200 Elo, and you get a completely garbage team that you can't control no matter how polite you are, or how right you are (because everyone wants to be the hero whose right), you will lose your first match and get placed in the 1100's, where it will take you over 150 games EASY to get out.

Solutions to pick snowball heroes to get above 1500 might work, but the fact is that you shouldn't be forced to do so because nobody else is capable of being a proper carry. Everyone should be able to choose any hero they want (as long as it's not a stupid choice like if you are last picking with no tanks on your team, and you pick Ashe or something) and still contribute to their team as a whole, based on their individual understanding of the game and the other heroes. People at an individual skill level should be where they belong, so that they can't be carried into an Elo where they will ruin a match for others because they were carried, and now they are not, and are forced to show their true colors. Sure it sets them back towards where they belong, but it also sets back the others on their team that had no fault in the loss whatsoever.

The reason I started this out with WC matches is because it was simply a random lobby system that allowed for variables to occur without being the fault of a "system" such as Elo. So if you got bad players, and continue to get bad players, it's not because you were stuck in a system that kept you with bad players despite you deserving better, it's because some people that just weren't good joined your lobby. Having a system like Elo will continue to fault people undeservingly for a loss due to a feeder/overextender etc., someone who actually DOES belong at low Elo, to ruin their game no matter the advice or help that individual recieved. And on top of that, Imagine you join another game and have the same person on your team that ruined your last game, something that is completely beyond your control...you can't dodge because you lose MORE Elo even though you know that that individual player will turn this into another 50 mins of a hopeless match. All around the system is completely and utterly fail for anything beyond 1v1, and I don't understand why Riot keeps it despite the CONSTANT threads to lose it providing more than sufficient evidence as to why.

They should just use the same system WCTFT used for this game. Lobby system. Get rid of Elo completely and remove the stupid 2 player cap on ranked premades, and people wouldn't have anything to ***** about other than just bad players, who they can recognize and never play with again if they so choose.

OG Naizer

10-25-2011

LOL's ELO system is broken. If there were incentives, I think people would be trying harder instead of trying to intentionally troll the other team. Maybe a "vote" for MVP isnt the best idea, because if people will troll your game, what stops the winning team from trolling the vote? No matter what it'll be abused. I do agree that Riot should split the servers up so that you don't get stuck with Brazilians or Asians that can't do anything for your team though.
Fix the ELO Riot. I've played many games where I've done incredible and have played out of my mind, but I'm still on the losing team. Offer a reward system so people will want to play better and actually want to win and actually try to learn how to play, instead of trying to do what they want. You'll see a lot more better summoners and less people trying to troll.
Ideas: Special skins for hitting a certain rank or ELO, new summoner icons, maybe even a champion? You know people would work hard for a champion... Who knows, I'm just a guy that's frustrated at the ranking system and tired of playing with people who I question their intelligence level.