Do you think the ELO ranked matchmaking needs to be changed?

I think the system is fine as it is. 57 21.51%
I think it does need a change, but not in the way you've suggested it. 98 36.98%
I think the MVP system would be a good addition to ranked games. 110 41.51%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

A Solution to the ELO Hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Failtasia

03-28-2011

Elo hell doesn't exist bro if you can't learn how to carry in 150 games. Then thats your elo sorry but that's the reality of it also just a note expect to lose 40% of your games at any rating due to leavers d/c's and baddies

Flying936V

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eL N1nja View Post
Elo hell doesn't exist bro if you can't learn how to carry in 150 games. Then thats your elo sorry but that's the reality of it also just a note expect to lose 40% of your games at any rating due to leavers d/c's and baddies
ITT: Unranked players being internet tough guys.

Also, if you lose 40% of your games due to others... then it's obviously not a measure of your rank; it's a measure of your luck.

OKAY FIDDLE NA

03-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying936V View Post

Overall, I see the ELO system as flawed because it doesn't focus on the players skill as much as it does the entire team as an average, which in the lower ELOs can trap alot of quality players and frustrate them beyond belief.
If you should be a higher Elo, you will win more games than you lose and, thus, raise in rating. The Elo system is not flawed.

Benefits

03-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewazi View Post
If you should be a higher Elo, you will win more games than you lose and, thus, raise in rating. The Elo system is not flawed.
It's not that the elo system is inherently flawed in theory. It's the fact that it's super easy to drop 400 elo from complete morons when you first start out. People get locked into a an elo that doesn't suit their true skill level and as you are rewarded less elo points for a win as you move on, it's hard to get out. If you're a good player, sure, you'll eventually make your way to your appropriate elo level. But is it really worth 100-200 games of mostly BS to claw your way to an appropriate elo when you only win 65% of the time? I'm beginning to doubt it.

OKAY FIDDLE NA

04-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benefits View Post
It's not that the elo system is inherently flawed in theory. It's the fact that it's super easy to drop 400 elo from complete morons when you first start out. People get locked into a an elo that doesn't suit their true skill level and as you are rewarded less elo points for a win as you move on, it's hard to get out. If you're a good player, sure, you'll eventually make your way to your appropriate elo level. But is it really worth 100-200 games of mostly BS to claw your way to an appropriate elo when you only win 65% of the time? I'm beginning to doubt it.
I've NEVER seen someone tank 400 elo from where they should have been playing. That would require an absolutely ridiculous amount of bad luck. I've seen some people lose over 200 rating, but I think that is due to them either getting carried slightly above where they should be playing at or because they start to rage on their teammates/change their play style for the worse.

Also, if you were to win 65% of the time, you would be moving up over 350 elo in just 100 games. That's a 1300 player moving to the top few percent of all competitive players in only 65 wins..

Flying936V

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewazi View Post
I've NEVER seen someone tank 400 elo from where they should have been playing.
I watch morecowbell.com on occassion while getting work done and I remember dorkbrains tanking about 400 rating one night and ragequitting. Proof that it can happen due to terrible luck? Yes. Funny to watch? Very yes. But it happens a lot more than you might think.

LuckSkillVictory

04-02-2011

This would gradually inflate elo throughout the season as more is added then lost.

LessQQMorePewPew

04-02-2011

this definitely promotes team play =) /end sarcasm

Dr rAndOm

04-02-2011

I have almost 1000 wins for my normal games... why dont I play ranked games more often?

Because... I am tired to get bad teams all the time.

If any of you watched my ranked match history... you will find I played overpowered champions in ranked game.

I have never ever considered that I am pro... I just think I am a good player... probably a little better than normal level players.

win ratio 33.3% ...... it's totally a sad story.. So I dont solo ranked games now.

It doenst seem that I wanna arrange a team most of the time. :/ I play this game when Im tired of work. I am not that patient and prepared for a premade ranked game hence.

Actually there are more bad teams in solo games. =_= Just image those hopeless games... awww

I will try to leave no newbie behind..... only if it's possible.

Many times they did bad... and blame me for it. ^ ^ Im really sick of this matchmaking system. lol

H2OSakana

04-04-2011

You can try the SC2 method, by having around 20 or so Practice matches where your match results wont affect your ranking at all. Yet it makes you familiar with the set up of Ranked games. And lower the default ELO value from 1200