Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Do you think the ELO ranked matchmaking needs to be changed?

I think the system is fine as it is. 57 21.51%
I think it does need a change, but not in the way you've suggested it. 98 36.98%
I think the MVP system would be a good addition to ranked games. 110 41.51%
Voters 265 .

A Solution to the ELO Hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KidConfucius

03-14-2011

Quote:
Adreanliné:
Every one that is out of ELO hell was in ELO hell. They got out of it by being a good player. If you are not out of ELO hell, you don't deserve to be. People love to believe they are more important or better than they really are in all aspects of life. This is not an exception.

you mean they got out of it by being lucky enough to also be matched with decent players . you could random pick someone from the very top end of the elo ranks and place them in a team with 3 low elo feeders and 1 afker/rager against a team of 5 average players and they would almost certainly loose.

Dictor

03-14-2011

Quote:
Flying936V:
I've been playing ranked matches for a while now, and after 150+ matches I've started to get a little frustrated with the game. I'm not trying to say I'm a 2100+ ELO player stuck in the ~1300's bracket that never has a bad game, but there have been numerous matches where I was absolutely dominating; being a team player; placing wards everywhere; and still at least one or two people on my team manage to screw it up and lose the game by feeding or just lacking basic game knowledge.

My proposed solution to this is a MVP voting system at the end of each game where each team votes for an MVP from the opposing team. The player with the majority of votes on either team receives a small bonus that varies based on whether they were a part of the winning team or the losing team. Teams voting for the opposing team would keep it fair, and prevent team disputes from persuading votes away from deserving players; and also possibly even keep trash talking down since people most likely won't vote for you if you throw out "you're trash" after every kill you get.

The bonus for a player on the losing team would be negating the ELO loss for losing the match, or maybe even just cutting it in half; a sort of "you played well, here's your reward" to give players an incentive to try even when the match seems to be going downhill.

The bonus for a player on the winning team could be something small like a +25 or +50 IP bonus (although nothing too large since they already get a win).

Too keep votes from being too spread out you could also implement a +10 IP bonus for players that vote for the winning MVP (similar to the Tribunal voter reward system).

Overall, I see the ELO system as flawed because it doesn't focus on the players skill as much as it does the entire team as an average, which in the lower ELOs can trap alot of quality players and frustrate them beyond belief.

Let's make ELO hell a little less hellish.

Another possible solution from sibbie:

Your suggestion is ok but im sure theres a much simpler way of fixing this problem as i know all our stats our tracked and those should be added with the elo to match people more evenly.. You have all the data, stop being lazy and use it, i dont need this account suspended to because im forced to play with inepth players

feed lag repeat

03-15-2011

well since you are in elo hell

on your team, you have 4 other random players, 3 if you duo queue, and 5 players on the other team.

using simple probability, if you and your partner are not ragers/feeders/bads then statistically you have a lower chance of having these cancers on your team.

you cry about the times when you get a rager/feeder/bad, but what about the times when the other team has had them? im sure this will balance out eventually

and you also want a MVP system, what about a Worst Player award, negating the elo gained from the win, or doubling the elo loss etc? given to a noob that got carried or a noob who fed

Flying936V

03-18-2011

Well since having posted this I've gone from 1175 up to 1422 in Ranked Matchmaking. It's amazing how much easier it was to win games from ~1350+ due to cooperative and generally knowledgeable teammates compared to the matches below that level. Yes, good players will make it out of ELO hell eventually but it's a huge struggle that makes it not worth it for most players and I believe good players should be in higher ranks rather than stuck with feeders for 50+ matches before they can break free.

Aerodu

03-18-2011

Totally a good idea.

MVP systems on other games works completely fine rewarding those who actually deserves.
And this can be done by the system somehow. The actual problem is when the system is automatic is to determinate a good support player.
The maths on the graphics and numbers end-game can be totally used.
Make it less deaths/most kills/assisting ratio. This way a 25 assist Soraka might be recompensated.

The Philosogamer

03-18-2011

This is a fine idea except it could be abused, and even used the wrong way. Who's to say the winning team knows any better than the losing team? I sometimes go with a 2.0 kdr and everyone says I fed.

Xoloist

03-19-2011

Sounds interesting, yet I can see this becoming more of a problem then solution. From what I've heard, there are poor players in every elo bracket. It all depends upon how well you respond to these players, and what you do to make up for their mistakes.

Flying936V

03-20-2011

Added a section at the bottom for other solutions offered by players. If any alternative solutions are posted here and seem viable I'll put them in that section.

Lownak

03-24-2011

I think they should do it like blizzard did to WoW Arena System, setting the lowest rating to 0, so you cant drop under it, would be much better imo. Change could be done for Season II

MattV9362

03-28-2011

They should just fix the issue with new players having more drastic gains for ranked rating. This makes Elo hell extend way past the 1300s bracket where it should be ending.