Do you think the ELO ranked matchmaking needs to be changed?

I think the system is fine as it is. 57 21.51%
I think it does need a change, but not in the way you've suggested it. 98 36.98%
I think the MVP system would be a good addition to ranked games. 110 41.51%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

A Solution to the ELO Hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flying936V

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by unZe View Post
Bad system which will artificially inflate ELO
Please tell me how ELO will be inflated if the only thing this system does is reduce the rating loss penalty for a player on the losing team?

Or do you believe that a loss is always 100% the entire teams fault?

Tsiphon

03-07-2011

How about the system assigns what it should be MVP without announcing it, based on assists, kills, deaths, turrets, because all of that will roughly be who is the best team player (all kills no assist = bad, insane amount of deaths bad, etc), and have each team vote it's top 2 or 3 picks for MVP based on character type, such as carry, tank, support, which are already assigned by Riot, although there would need to be some way of classifying, such as the system looking at total armor and all that.

There needs to be a way to get out of ELO hell. 3 solid wins followed by trolls and ragers puts you unfairly back at the bottom through no fault of your own. Perhaps penalize lost ELO less on a scale based on previous game reports for an individual and the system looks at their current game (especially if time spent idle is excessive or if they left, but also if they have insane deaths), tallies this up, and scales the lost ELO accordingly. That way, ragers, idlers, and feeders will stay at the bottom, and the others will albeit slowly ascend. Maybe even have said terrible team player take up a portion of the lost ELO.

yes, this does mean someone who sucks or has a bad game loses more ELO, but by having the system judge previous statistics it would better determine if they deserve their current ELO or not. Maybe even reset 100 ELO ranks up (capping at say, 1300) after a week or something in playing in the pubs, as a sort of incentive to get better, but not required.

Adreanlin

03-08-2011

Every one that is out of ELO hell was in ELO hell. They got out of it by being a good player. If you are not out of ELO hell, you don't deserve to be. People love to believe they are more important or better than they really are in all aspects of life. This is not an exception.

Trickbaby

03-08-2011

I think it should be based on how well you played your ROLE. Tanks should be measured on assists, damage received vs. # of deaths, etc... carries will rely on kills, towers, minions...

I think something that rewards players for excelling at their role, will inevitably help with working as a team. Right now, all anyone cares about is how many kills they get. If you are playing a support class and dont get enough kills, you are N00b... that is broken, IMO.

jaMx

03-09-2011

sad to say that MVP system would turn into who has the highest KD, but this is a team game and without the supports/tanks/stuns that Ashe critical striking for 8 million damage would have been useless

shiÑe

03-09-2011

Good idea! I'm in like 800 Elo and I'm by far the best player on my team always.. It just sucks that it's usually 5v3/4

Cataphract

03-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickbaby View Post
I think it should be based on how well you played your ROLE. Tanks should be measured on assists, damage received vs. # of deaths, etc... carries will rely on kills, towers, minions...

I think something that rewards players for excelling at their role, will inevitably help with working as a team. Right now, all anyone cares about is how many kills they get. If you are playing a support class and dont get enough kills, you are N00b... that is broken, IMO.
And what if you were a bit creative and play a champion extremely well outside the traditional role? Or if your champion doesn't have a strictly defined role, or if you have a different opinion from your current bracket of players as to how your champ should be played?

Elo system makes perfect sense. If you win you rise up, if you lose you fall down. You just need a larger sample size due to this being a team game rather than 1v1.

eabe

03-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofear View Post
noob Q. i kno "ELO" is the ranking system like. your rating match's..

but what exactly does ELO stand for.

its not "electric light orchestra" i know that much! .haha
Hmmmm. Elo doesn't stand for anything it is named Elo after its inventor Professor Arpad Elo.

@MiCrowAvEz:

That's some crazy logic. I'm glad you can do math however your only thinking about chance. And what about the opposite. That would mean 40% of bad players have that much of a chance to be carried. I guess you like that idea.

Elo is a system made to rank players based off 1v1 matches and has sense been used to rank teams. There is no real way to rank an individual person on a team using ELO. When people cry about ELO hurting them it probable is, however it can also help bad players look good.

This system probable works great for 5v5 and 3v3 pre-made. However it is not that great for 5v5 solo. Riot probable just hasn't come up with a better system for rating individuals in a team game. It is kind of hard to do. There are just way to many variables in this game. I agree it needs to change for 5v5 solo to what... I don't know. an MVP system based on states + ELO maybe. The system was never meant for this kind of ranking.

The problem is only the very top players in 5v5 solo are ranked fairly. To get there is based off 40% luck according too MiCrowAvEz.

Edit: This not going to make Riot lots of money to fix. Meaning it probable won't get fixed. They make more money by adding a new Champ then they doing fixing a system that is somewhat broken. It's the reason why they only have 2 maps. It's all about the money. Sure the game is free but they got to eat. They do make money.

crysanthium

03-11-2011

The problem with 5 vs 5 solo que is you are 1/5 of your team. Even if you play far superior the chance of your team being the one stuck with the feeders/ rage quitters etc almost nullifies you little contribution into mostly a coin toss. The obvious correction is forget 5 vs 5 solo ... make 3 vs 3 solo que. Why haven't they done this yet. In a 3 vs 3 team it is much easier to help newb teammates since you can watch both your team mates and comment. I know from playing normal 3 vs 3 games this is true. The odd game you get a weaker player can be offset by the fact the map is smaller, you are closer, you can watch them, its easier to group everyone, etc. The random factor would diminish greatly allowing better players to move up. The truth is I ve gone as low as 900 in 5 vs 5 up to 1400 and now hover around 1200. I can clearly see when teammates lose my games and when they dont and it is almost always the deciding factor.

Vote for a 3 vs 3 solo que

KidConfucius

03-14-2011

there should be more to the elo system then just wins and losses for how it matches you. for instance someone who has played 150+ games and is still only around 8-900 elo shouldnt be considered a comparable match to someone who has only played 20 games and is on the same rank. because unless your extremely lucky with the match making all it takes is a couple close losses and then 90% of the time you will be matched with people who truly deserve to be in lower elo and you are dragged down with them. because it doesnt matter how well you get fed , nobody can carry a team of 3 or 4 complete idiots . and its also very HARD to get fed in the first place when say your mid and within 5-10 minutes top and bot lanes have given up 3-5+ deaths a lane and thus completly lost control of their lanes. which means the rest of the enemy team is free to run about ganking as they please. or perhaps for people say from 1100 to 800 elo could have their elos reset back to 1100 every couple weeks so they have an actual chance to progress out of it if they actually deserve it , because the way it is now , its simply sheer luck for you to get a half decent team and not a bunch of ******ed monkeys for teammates.