Do you think the ELO ranked matchmaking needs to be changed?

I think the system is fine as it is. 57 21.51%
I think it does need a change, but not in the way you've suggested it. 98 36.98%
I think the MVP system would be a good addition to ranked games. 110 41.51%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

A Solution to the ELO Hell

123456 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snosauce

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2011

i think there should be a 50+ question multiple choice test that you have to pass with a 90 or better to be able to q for ranked.

Velguarder

03-03-2011

Nothing needs to be fixed. If you think you're a good player, just get one or two champions that snowball REALLY well so that you can carry your team without being fragile at the same time.

Although you may think: "well what about my more rounded off heroes?"
Trust me, they will work better when you get out of ELO hell when you can get on a team that has "better" game sense.

Solution = Pick snowball champion to get to ~1500, then pick a champion that works better with a team to get further.

Stormwake

03-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCrOwAvEz View Post
A 5v5 randomly sorted team game is always gonna be variations on a coin-flip.

Because you're 1 part of a 5 person team, you have 1/5th of the influence on the outcome. Therefore if your edge 1v1 was 70/30 on the average player on the team, your 20% edge is reduced to 4%, so now the game is 54% in your favour. Let's say you go above and beyond captaining etc. and make it 60%.

You are expected to lose 40% of the time still purely because of factors out of your control, you simply have to play your best.

No idea why people think they're entitled to more free wins than the free losses they receive.

Nothing objectively "wrong" with the system. I see my losses as a chance to improve, you see them as a chance to shift blame away from yourself, who's gonna stay the way they are and who's gonna improve?

How do you know you don't belong in the 1200-1300 bracket? Why do you deserve more than top 25%? If you play another 100 or more games and you're still at that rating, it's where you should be.
You have no idea what you're talking about. There's plenty of good players in 1300-1500 bracket, and there's plenty of TOTALLY bad players too. Does that mean these bad players and good players both deserve to be at the elo because they've played X amount of games at that elo? Think about your logic because it sucks.

Stormwake

03-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying936V View Post
@MiCrowAvEz:

I see what you're saying, and I don't expect any "free wins" as you seem to believe. I believe that if I play well and do more than my part to contribute to the team through kills, wards, etc that I should not be punished for some of my team mates playing sub-par for a ranked setting.

I'm not shifting blame from myself either, as I stated in the first part of my post, I'm not saying that I don't have bad games. Everyone has off games and I'm not different. If I performed extremely badly in a game I would expect a loss and would have been responsible for other players that did well to lose ELO.

Here's what I'm saying... I don't expect free handouts of wins to anyone. I think that if a player makes an outstanding contribution to a losing team, then that player shouldn't be punished for the shortcomings of others on his team. This wouldn't even count as a "free win", more like a blank slate for that game.

Also, since you brought up belonging in the 1200-1300 bracket. I looked up your win/loss ratio and both of ours are approximately the same. You're at 52.6% and I'm at 51.7% yet you're over 100 ELO higher than mine. Is this not obviously a flaw in the system? Where two people with similar win ratios can have such a dramatic difference in rating?
This is entirely too common, this system sucks, everyone knows it but some love to state otherwise just for the sake of argument. I dont think an MVP system alone would solve anything, and MVP should be awarded by stats always, with kills being the least important of the stats, killing towers, getting assists, tower damage done, player damage done, things like that.

Stormwake

03-03-2011

As long as the heavy weighing stats were things that legitimately helped win the game there'd be no real way to be selfish and still get mvp.

Flying936V

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormwake View Post
As long as the heavy weighing stats were things that legitimately helped win the game there'd be no real way to be selfish and still get mvp.
Actually I could see this leading to players ignoring team fights to push a lane. If you try and backdoor while your team is fighting 4v5 and they all die... chances are that the other team will be able to push towers alot faster than you alone unless you're a really good backdoor champ (yi/sivir).

There will always be ways for people to be selfish in a system that automates calculating someones contribution without the case by case judgement that players in that game could apply.

Sofear

03-06-2011

noob Q. i kno "ELO" is the ranking system like. your rating match's..

but what exactly does ELO stand for.

its not "electric light orchestra" i know that much! .haha

IKKl

Recruiter

03-06-2011

Hello

Kitemare

unZe

03-06-2011

Bad system which will artificially inflate ELO

123456 ... 7