Pantheon Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zanitonium

02-03-2010

Quick Guide for pantheon, he's new and there's not much info on him around here yet.

Basically pantheon is a DPS hero but is closer to Jax and katarina than Yi and Tyrnd.

Runes: if you have a page full of dodge runes, perfect, when you get some attackspeed and survivability you'll be dodging and blocking blows left and right!

No dodge? Get some crit damage runes, and if non of those basic armor pen and health quints will suffice.

Masteries:

Haven't tweeked with this very much, I run a nonconvential 9/0/21 The exhaust buff being the most important part of the tree.

Summoner spells:

Exhuast and Flash. Flash will help you chase and give you some escapabilitiy and Exhaust will net you alot of early kills as well as keep heros like twitch and teemo from wrecking you during team battles.

Skills:
Q- Spear
W-Stun/Shield Bash
E-Spear jabs/under 15% hp crit
R-Sky fall

I messed with the order of these constantly and I've found that Getting Your stun first helps with first blood -- as does the spear jab with its passive. But I find the stun to be more versitile as it'll give you some escapbility as well even if it only lasts a second. Spear is also a good first choice spell for harassment.. basically size up your lane mate, decide if you're going for first blood or if you're going to be passive and farm. Q for farm, W/E for first blood. W for more survivability.

The order after your first skill should be to put 1 point in each skill then max R->W->E->Q in that order.

The spear's added bonus damage isn't enough to warrant maxing it out at all, and the shield bash has decent damage and having a stun available every 8 seconds isn't bad.

Items:
Most succesful build, ending in the range of 12/3/11 or 17/8/5.. basically a good KDR Ratio with good damage.
Dorans Shield
Ninja Tabi
Zeal
Heart of Gold
Sheen (you can sell dorans sheild or rush Tri Force here)
Bf Sword
Giants Belt (You can sell Heart of gold if you wish)
Infinity Edge
Bf Sword (Game probably ends around here)
Triforce
Frozen Mallet/Blood thirster Whichever.

Basically the focus here is having decent surviability. You can do decent damage and run around finishing heros in teamfights, you'll have bad magic resist so either focusing casters or staying out of their way till they blow their load is the name of the game.
I've played against a number of pantheons who go all DPS and they are excellent one on one but are horrendous in team battles do to focus fire, we're trying to avoid this tactic because if you want to do major dps you might as well roll master Yi.

using your skills:

Q- Spam the hell out of this, it can't crit so it loses potential as team fights wear on where your basic attack + guaranteed crit out damages it. It's excellent during the laning phase against other physical carries such as gangplank.. Your sheild can block his parrley and he soon gives up trying to harass you as he'll be taking damage and you wont. It's good for finishing off someone who flees with flash with miniscule amounts of health or getting last hits on creeps when you're being pressured hard by the opposing lane.

W- Sheild bash is amazing, it's a very short duration stun but like jax's leap attack its a very good initator. During the lane phase you can throw a spear, leap with sheild bash, then use your spear jabs during the stun, as they try to walk away get one more auto attack in and chuck your spear one more time. It's good for interupting Kat nunu fiddle ect... basically anyone who channels and its up often enough that you can almost interupt all of them during a team fight. We max this skill out first because it does decent damage and when chasing an opponent low on health, is an excellent finisher.

E-Spear Jab. You need a point at the start to get the -15% hp crit. The skill itself is mediocre. It will score you plenty of last hits on champions in a concentrated team fight and is good for farming. It has a long cooldown so use it during the most crowded moments of the fray.

R-SkyFall. It has its problem, I'll start with them. It takes a long time to channel, you could be selecting a large radius in a team fight with 5 enemy champs inside and by the time you're falling in there the battle could have ended. It is super obvious when its about to happen, Giant Green circle even gives heimerdinger time to walk out of the center and into safety before anything hairy happens, if anyone has flash... forget it.

However, this is more of a skill shot ult than most so with that thought understand that the more you use it the more effective you will become with it. Lets look at what I've learned.

I see pantheons using this spell to teleport to creep waves to save towers all the time, its such a waste in my opinion... at level 3 it does 1000k damage to the center of the circle, thats a huge nuke on par with veigars's ult. If you must use it for mobility use it during a period of calm, where you won't be needing to save 2 heros deep in enemy territory or a team fight breaking out a barron. Be wise with it because its cooldown is quite long.

Things I do with it that I feel are effective.
1)When your team is about to iniate a teamfight blue pill to base , wait for them to being the initation and cast it directly behind the enemy, you will have enough survibility that upon arrival you cannot be focused and he keep the enemy pinned. often times if they are running away from your team they end up getting slammed by your ult, then you stun and finish.

2) when your teamates go for a gank, cast skyfall behind the enemy between them and their tower, more often than not they will run for the river instead of through your ult when they see the green circle giving you more time to finish.

3) Alongside other ults and in periods of mass confusion. If you are in a team fight when it initiates, run in there throw your weight around and then retreat, you should have around half health and all but your spear should be on cooldown, Now if nunu is casing his ult, pirate cannon balls are comming down ect, everyone is already in a panic, go ahead and skyfall right int he middle of the battle and watch as noneone has time to react to getting nuked hard.

I have to go back to work, so take this guide with a grain of salt as it was written on a half hour break.

CTHDRL

02-03-2010

Whatever happened to stacking bloodthirsters like everyone did in the test realm?

AFKray

02-03-2010

nothing. It still works, but this is an alternate build.

Also, I love using the ult to farm. level 3 is on a 75 second cooldown with just a brut+ blue rune. 75 seconds for like 300 + something gold. Pretty sweet, especially since he's so item dependent.

zanitonium

02-03-2010

Focus fire and blinds make the bloothirster tactic obsolete.

You might be awesome during ganks, but once the team fights roll around with less than 2000hp at level 18 you're easily shut down. With the build I laid out you can still hit pretty hard but the focus fire will come off of you and places it on your casters.. who should be behind you and the tank making the battle last longer and allowing your stun to proc more as well as a reiniation with skyfall.

If you can last towards the end of the teamfight, instead of getting focused and killed towards the begining you'll see where pantheon truely shines as most of your opponents will be low on health and you can chop them down.

Morbis

02-03-2010

the problem I have with this is that it is overall low damage. damage from pantheons abilities comes from item damage, and there just isnt much in this build. I would switch out sheen for phage, and probably not even bother with trinity force. get a last whisper if you really need the attack speed I think.

and isntead of the giants belt/heart of gold, I would try get a banshees veil instead

zanitonium

02-03-2010

I messed about with the last whisper and had decent success. This build needs to be taken with a grain of salt as everyone is still new with the champion and as time goes on, the character's playstyle will evolve.

Taking the heart of gold away from the build hinders his early game survivability and from what I've found lately is that the higher my ELO goes the less deaths happen in a game.

I've been in games where by the time everyone is level 12 and 13 there are only 1 or 2 kills and one team battle can decide everything. Pub stomping with high DPS items are very viable however against a competent team it doesn't matter how fast you attack or how much life steal you have if you get stun locked and focused or blinded/exhausted. This build is not a high DPS build but does very decent damage (about 500 a crit) and allows you to truck through those exhausts and disables with armor and HP. I do not use this build as an end all overpowered wrecking machine but as a central team member who has more uses than straight dps. I.E. Saving allies, pushing towers, defending against a tower against a mob of enemies alone and it doesn't come with the fear of being shutdown.

The banshee's veil is a good idea, however, as you look over my defensive items you'll notice they are all very cheap and wont get in the way of building your IE BT or FM later game. Banshee's is awesome but simply costs too much, if you find that their team is heavily caster dependant, I urge you to buy it but its too situational to add to this build.