New Health Bars

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS13fe9a22574251

08-20-2009

I think I like them, Just played my first game in a while. But I didn't notice anything I didn't like. Actually didn't notice the new hero health bars (Which means at least from my perspective they were done right). Only noticed the creeps new hp bars and I really liked them.

Again, that is just my opinion. I feel as if many people really do not like them.

bdschuss

08-20-2009

Ya the black border needs to go... it makes them look way too bold. And Scrolling Combat Text size needs to be reduced.

JoonKimDDS

08-20-2009

It is wayyyy too thick. It's almost impossible to play the game like this.

What's even worse is the naming. We don't need name of player's name on each champions, this is something super stupid in gaming history.

Look at the picture here. How am I supposed to know what's going on because of unnecessary names on top of each champions.

Lick

08-21-2009

Playing on a small screen, these bars are terrible and hurt gameplay. I'm not sure if this was the case before, but it seems now that clicking on the health bar targets its respective unit. I never had any problems before, but now I consistently miss last hits and targeted spells because my attack hits a unit next to the one I'm targeting. It was mentioned that these healthbars are actually smaller than before, but they feel alot bigger and more cluttering. This can be very frustrating when trying to play with heroes like Veigar where it is important not to waste baleful strike. Also, this may be just a bug I'm experiencing, but when you hit Shift+L to go to mouseover mode, are enemy minons healthbars supposed to appear on mouseover? it only works on heroes and buildings for me.

Rev

Adjudicator

08-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volibar View Post
What don't you guys like about them? The intent was to make them more compact to create less visual clutter. We will tweak these going forward based on feedback, so let us know what you think and be specific if you can.
For creeps: The borders of the bars are too thick. The borders of the bar seem just as thick as the bar itself. They're just wasting space. I don't think the borders need to be any thicker than the champ outlines, just make them a color that contrasts with the playfield.

For champions: Is there a reason we need those vertical hash marks? It's an easy health difference distiguisher early-game, but by midgame there's no way people are counting hashes to tell how much health a champ has, they'll just target them. Plus, when a champ gets a ton of health late-game (looking at you, Cho'gath) the entire bar just turnes black with vertical hash marks so you can't read it anyway. Why can't the bar just be a solid meter like the creep bars?

KonaKona

08-21-2009

agreed that the contrast and colour of the bars are undesirable and that the size and border of minion bars are too large

wickeR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2009

i liked the old bars...

just my 2 cents

spielkind

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2009

mobs need even smaller bars and the champion ones have too think borders and too many vertical stripes

Pandemic Smiles

08-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
For champions: Is there a reason we need those vertical hash marks? It's an easy health difference distiguisher early-game, but by midgame there's no way people are counting hashes to tell how much health a champ has, they'll just target them. Plus, when a champ gets a ton of health late-game (looking at you, Cho'gath) the entire bar just turnes black with vertical hash marks so you can't read it anyway. Why can't the bar just be a solid meter like the creep bars?
Solid meter with some (small!) text somewhere to give us A NUMBER. 1 health point is the difference between us killing them or not, and that's something you can't tell with the hash marks there.

See: WoW's interface. Mouseover the health bar of your character in the top-left, and text shows up which is just large enough it's the same height as the bar (and thus, doesn't spill out of it in any way).
It obscures the middle 50% or so of the bar though, and while I don't see this as a problem (since the number which the bar represents is right there), others might.

My opinion on bars in general: this is my only problem with them, I really don't care about the rest. I just want to see numbers.

Drfuzzykins

08-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonKimDDS View Post
It's almost impossible to play the game like this.
This is really overdoing it. Exaggerating won't get the changes you want.

The bars may be too thick, but they are an improvement over the previous patch. They're much cleaner, and champion bars especially are much less clumsy and in-the-way. Personally, I prefer the newer bars and I have yet to have any issues in gameplay because of them. On the contrary, I find it easier to see what's going on without the ridiculous champion bars of the previous patch.

+1 for shrinking the borders on bars, though. These new bars are improved, but they're not perfect.