Grog Soaked Blade, Healing Reduction - The middle ground

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redscare

02-02-2010

Seeing the arguments involved with healing reduction in general, especially now with this patch and the change to parrrrley. I was wondering how people would feel about reaching a middle ground. In general, healing reduction serves a purpose. It is there to keep things under control, especially with a large amount of healing. I don't think it should go away completely. The problem I see is the amount of healing reduction involved. 50% reduction just seems higher than it needs to be, especially in early game.

I see a couple of things that could be done to reduce the impact without completely negating the value of healing reduction

1. A flat decrease in the amount of healing reduction on abilities and the executioners calling. Dropping it to say 30%, maybe more, maybe less...thats all in the testing.

2. A scaling system. This would work well with grog soaked blade and katarina's effect. Allowing the amount of healing reduction to scale with their level like so many other passives and abilities do would limit the impact of these abilities earlier in the game while retaining their powerful effect in the late game. If the reduction started closer to 15-20% and then scaled to 50% for late game ( or ideally more like 40%); this would cause the healing reduction to scale with the build up of health regen and healing that players will have. It would prevent either healing reduction or health regen/healing from being negated or being OP throughout the game.

Under the system the executioners calling would seem to be the odd man out, I am not aware of items that scale based on the characters level. Only ones that build up with kills, which in this situation does not seem to apply. Even under this system it seems that a flat reduction to the exec calling would be best. Again perhaps to 30%, making it useful but not better than a champion ability, adding more value to that ability the champion has.

3. My last thought is an approach where in the healing reduction effect is stacked. With this Grog Soaked blade and the executioners calling (I'll address Kat after) would have a flat amount of reduction that stacks per hit, somewhere in the 5-10% area. This would mean that an effect such as parrrley would require that the player actually follow up with some melee to really see the full effect, and that is what the pirate should be doing anyway. Similarly making the execs calling effect stack would limit its effectiveness early while remaining more powerful later as carries stack their AP. The caveats would be that it would of course cap at 40-50% total effect, and the differing effects would not stack together (the pirate would not gain stacks faster for having his grog soaked blade and an execs calling) .

As for Kat, her effect applies to only one attack and is limited by cooldowns as opposed to autoattacks. I think a scaled approach based on level is much more applicable in this case still.

These are just my thoughts on the subject. I do not touch on whether parrrley and grog soaked blade should work together as I see that as more of a symptom of a larger issue than an inherent problem. Please post your own thoughts on how to perhaps add more balance to healing reduction.

Morzas

02-02-2010

I've suggested numerous times that healing reduction debuffs should require multiple strikes before applying their full effect, just like the item Malady. Malady potentially gives your entire teal a Pickaxe and half a Long Sword against a target, but you have to hit them six times first. Executioner's Calling and similar healing reduction debuffs should operate similarly, as they are now you just fire them and forget.

looney

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2010

I am not sure, but I remember few patches ago when the healing reduction was 40% and everybody was way saying it is low, and no one was buying executioner cause was the greatest **** ever, now it's 50% not so big deal.

True Bandito

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2010

Reduction is fine as is. If it gets any lower, then low-mid level games will suffer from un-killable Yi, Mundo, Trynd, Twitch etc...