Balance: Melee vs Ranged

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JEMANGEDESMONDES

02-02-2010

Why again more squishie melee carries who has no escape move comes in. We have a couple that have superb range capabilities such as tristana rocket jump or corki valkyrie and yet we can't have jax use his leap to evade neither pantheon to jump out. There's more champions to it but..

does anyone else thinks this is absurd bad balance?

ta11geese3

02-02-2010

Yep, and there have been a few threads on it. But hey, no harm in discussing it more. For the most part it seems like Riot forgot to give their ranged carries weaknesses (other than ashe), despite having the ranged advantage (which lets them neglect survivability for the most part, can harass, can nuke, etc)

m0useIsTerrible

02-02-2010

Good thread on it already here.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ghlight=l0cust

Phreak

Shoutcaster

02-02-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I personally feel that Tryndamere, Jax, and Udyr all handle those issues fairly well.

Tryndamere can turn invincible with +30% crit chance for 6 seconds every battle, combined with a lifesteal item and using Bloodlust stacks, can usually spin out and heal at the proper time.

Jax can simply be built for tanking with items like Frozen Mallet and use his ultimate to contribute to most of his damage output.

Udyr has a refreshing shield as well as lifesteal and move speed to keep him fairly healthy during the battle.

I think in general the melee DPS champions naturally have more damage output as well as hit points than their ranged counterparts. To me, this allows you to itemize durability a little bit more while still keeping up in damage. No one has the single-target damage output that Yi has, who's to say you can't build him 21-point defense tree and make a Leviathan? It's worth trying at least.

Malak al Maut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
I personally feel that Tryndamere, Jax, and Udyr all handle those issues fairly well.

Tryndamere can turn invincible with +30% crit chance for 6 seconds every battle, combined with a lifesteal item and using Bloodlust stacks, can usually spin out and heal at the proper time.

Jax can simply be built for tanking with items like Frozen Mallet and use his ultimate to contribute to most of his damage output.

Udyr has a refreshing shield as well as lifesteal and move speed to keep him fairly healthy during the battle.

I think in general the melee DPS champions naturally have more damage output as well as hit points than their ranged counterparts. To me, this allows you to itemize durability a little bit more while still keeping up in damage. No one has the single-target damage output that Yi has, who's to say you can't build him 21-point defense tree and make a Leviathan? It's worth trying at least.
The question is: how often do people pick Udyr/Jax/Yi/Tryndamere over Trist/Nidalee/Corki/Twitch in High Elo/Tournament settings?

Granted, my most success with Tryndamere has been 8/21/1 so what you say does hold some merit. I don't think I've ever tried leviathan on Yi. hmm.

Phiphler

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

02-02-2010

Many melee carries are good junglers. There are also many melees who are a little to durable to simply be called DPS (Nasus, Mundo etc.) who can dish out tons of damage.

I think Jax is worst off at the moment really, others find use in all levels of the game.

Hikaratu

02-02-2010

@Philpher man mundo really does go where he pleases if he's showing up in top tier play like ever for all his flaws.

tuppes

02-03-2010

Quote:
When you build him with some Health-,Armor-,MR-Items; Dodgeitem for his Stun; Attackspeed for his Ulti and AP for his Abilites+Ulti ... his passive is completeley useless. Nice.

ExsqweezeMe

02-03-2010

Quote:
once u start investing in survival items, you're gimping into the champ's dps. granted the snowball items can be cost effective, but leviathan is no mejai's.

with a 1:1 damage return for physical weapons regardless of ranged or melee, and the current mechanics of slows (and the sheer amount of things that causes slow), imo ranged champs in the meta game can do a lot more consistent damage and with less fear of dying.

tuppes

02-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppes View Post
When you build him with some Health-,Armor-,MR-Items; Dodgeitem for his Stun; Attackspeed for his Ulti and AP for his Abilites+Ulti ... his passive is completeley useless. Nice.
Who gave me a negative rating? Please explain