READ ME - Patching Problems

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

02-10-2010
17 of 30 Riot Posts

The patcher can't support patches in the form of a separate executable. We would love to be able to provide separate patches, it will be a long time before we have the capability to do that.

I track the common issues players run into with the patcher very closely, and try to determine what causes the most problems. 75% of the people run into problems with the patcher because they change the files inside the League of Legends directory (even changes as little as altering the capitalization of a filename). Our patcher cannot manage those changes without returning errors, and we don't plan to actively support player customization, so I can't recommend ever changing the files in your League of Legends directory in any way (with the exception of the appropriate game.cfg and lol.properties files).

The rest of the issues with the patcher often end up being a result of the installation process. We've changed the installer so many times in the last 6 months that when a user reports an issue with the patcher it's very difficult to predict exactly what version of the game was originally installed on a user's computer, and what problems might be occurring because of a particular way the game was originally installed. The newer versions of the installer prevent future problems with the game from occurring, while at the same time, providing users with the most up-to-date version of the game (no patching after reinstall).

I know that some players still have problems every patch, and I realize how frustrating it is to have to download 500 MB and reinstall every 2 weeks to keep playing. However, the only way to track these issues is to know that everyone with problems is using the latest version of the patcher, so that we know older patching problems that we've already addressed are not interfering with any new issues that might be popping up. If you keep posting or emailing support@riotgames.com your logs, I can assure you the problem will be addressed, but it may take some patience.

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

02-10-2010
18 of 30 Riot Posts

Guerrero, what kind of connection are you using? Is there any restrictions on the network that you can turn off? Resetting your modem and router, then turning off anti-virus and firewall software is a good start.

GuerreroCaido

02-10-2010

lol ive tried going to a wired connection and turning off firewalls and antivirus b4 it doesnt do anything any other suggestions ill try again just to b sure

Tomriddle

02-10-2010

Thanks for responding to my post. I've perfectly fine in the past and have no reason to "alter" anything in my folder. Why does a new patch me we have to change something every time whether is be updating our OS or checking our firewalls, if the game worked before the patch why are the patches your releasing have new requirements than before? Please respond to my post if you have the time or fix the problem so that we all can update. Your going to have something bigger than sh*tstorm on your hands if this is not fixed by tonight, seeing as nobody is really online right now.

IS14467339c8898e

02-10-2010

got an error on update 17/19 when its gone %81 (the launcher has experienced some error. Please restart application)

i read lots of forum/help topic but none of work for me so here is my situation

my video card and others updated (today)
reinstalled several times (using ccleaner and without)
even change my dns numbers
got vista service pack 2
.net framework 3.5
my anti-virus program and firewall disabled
also i download LoL client 3 times

btw last night i played normally but when patch came this error started for me .

is there anything else to solve this problem? i really like LoL so i dont wanna quit right now

best regards

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

02-10-2010
19 of 30 Riot Posts

Kushinada and Tomriddle, are you deleting the old setup files when reinstalling? Make sure you delete the folder containing your setup files before running lolinstaller.exe.

Please attach your patcher_lib.log to a reply if you still have problems after reinstalling from new setup files, or send them to support@riotgames.com.

Gurrero, the warning in your logs is pretty uncommon. I can't think of anything about the installation or the patcher itself that would cause that error. If it's possible, you may want to try resetting your modem and router to factory defaults. You'll need to open ports 80, 8390, 8393 (this one is the part that might be causing issues), and 8375, if port forwarding applies to your particular connection.

HauntedJade

02-10-2010

[Jesse Perring]

I recently removed just a little over 1.20GBs of Data from
C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\
in that removeal was LOL.Air_p and LOL.Game_p I fergot which but sevral copys of one of the two, which appeared to be older patch data, or un-used out-of-date content. Why was such a volume of data left behinde if uneeded to continue using space and or filling up my hard drive, outside of the only logical reason to me being in-case of a roll back, not to have to redownload it twice?

Also I currently have a little over 281MBs of netlog.txt, r3dlog.txt, why are the logs being created without any known obvious option to disable the creation process, or at-least have them spawned into a seperate directory even if only for the sake of a clean game directory? It is my understanding and or rumored beliefe that these logs are to be used in the future for LoL replays, But at the current time I would really appreciate not having my hard drive fragmented to hell and back and, or filled up unknowningly little by little with a spam of un-needed text files.

What are the relevence to the
C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\CFG\defaults\game.cfg
and
C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\CFG\game.cfg ?

Trial and error, as well as simple observation shows the config being read by the game, is the one outside of the defaults directory, Tho the one in the defaults directory contains a LOT more data. Yes i'm very curious, and my apologies for being a pain in the ass.

GuerreroCaido

02-10-2010

would manfest files have anything to do with my problems also if i switched to a wire connection nstead of wirless would that work?

Jesse Perring

NOC Technician

02-10-2010
20 of 30 Riot Posts

HauntedJase, there is no reason the files are left behind. We're looking into how we can safely delete older patch files to reduce the size of the game. If at all possible, leave them be for now (or be ready to reinstall after deleting).

All .log can be safely deleted anywhere in the League of Legends directory, although I don't recommend it for everyone. The largest files are the logs found in the League of Legends/Air/logs directory, and the game logs, that you mentioned, in the League of Legends/Game directory.

Basically, any log on the log explanation article can be deleted:
http://kb.leagueoflegends.com/questi...on+of+LoL+Logs

GuerreroCaido, if you've changed the manifest file in the LoL directory, you should reinstall the game. The wireless connection probably wouldn't cause the error your seeing, it would most likely just slow things down or not connect at all. I believe your issue is related to internet security/restrictions of some kind.

GuerreroCaido

02-10-2010

lol so do i but idk what it is its not firewalls my antivirus is down i hvnt played with the manifest just saw em in there havent touched any of the files i mean its my computer i know it is ive used other ppls wireless connection and no dice i just dont know what to do