Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Gragas item builds?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SoopaTomato

Recruiter

05-26-2010

start with red crystal
then phage
boots
aegis
finish boots (usually merc treads)
get cd of some kind (frozen heart works pretty well)
last whisper or ghostblade
frozen mallet

went 5/3/17 today with that build and had a doublekill before 10 minutes

Angus Hamershok

06-24-2010

I've been playing a lot of Gragas lately and I've experimented between AD builds, AP builds, tank builds, and I've settled currently on a hybrid AP/Tank/DPS build that I believe was discussed somewhere earlier.
Gragas is a GREAT farmer. Body Slam in particular if outstanding for last-hitting early game. Jungling is a breeze. With all that being said, you should have a nice pocket full of cash to buy stuff. I usually start off with Amplifying Tome, this buffs both Body Slam and Barrel Roll, although I don't usually take Barrels until lvl 3.
Next is boots ('zerker or merc usually) and Fiendish Codex [gives nice damage and bascially makes it so you don't have to worry about mana). Use the Codex to finish Nashor's as soon as possible. I have about 9% CD reduction from runes, so Nashor's gives me all I need to keep Drunken Rage active 100% of the time (HUGE). Nashor's is the perfect item for Gragas: it supports CD Reduct, DPS (thru attack speed), AP, and Mana; it is by far the best overall item for Gragas with any build IMHO.
After Nashor's, I grab Rylai's for great health, AP and sweet passive. At this point, the game has typically been decided, but it is up to you where to go from here.
I have found that I have MUCH more survivability than people think I do, and I hit pretty darn hard too. The AoE damage from Barrel Roll in group fights is not to be underestimated.
Well, I hope that this was of some use, have fun!

Psychotik

06-24-2010

Quote:
Angus Hamershok:
I've been playing a lot of Gragas lately and I've experimented between AD builds, AP builds, tank builds, and I've settled currently on a hybrid AP/Tank/DPS build that I believe was discussed somewhere earlier.
Gragas is a GREAT farmer. Body Slam in particular if outstanding for last-hitting early game. Jungling is a breeze. With all that being said, you should have a nice pocket full of cash to buy stuff. I usually start off with Amplifying Tome, this buffs both Body Slam and Barrel Roll, although I don't usually take Barrels until lvl 3.
Next is boots ('zerker or merc usually) and Fiendish Codex [gives nice damage and bascially makes it so you don't have to worry about mana). Use the Codex to finish Nashor's as soon as possible. I have about 9% CD reduction from runes, so Nashor's gives me all I need to keep Drunken Rage active 100% of the time (HUGE). Nashor's is the perfect item for Gragas: it supports CD Reduct, DPS (thru attack speed), AP, and Mana; it is by far the best overall item for Gragas with any build IMHO.
After Nashor's, I grab Rylai's for great health, AP and sweet passive. At this point, the game has typically been decided, but it is up to you where to go from here.
I have found that I have MUCH more survivability than people think I do, and I hit pretty darn hard too. The AoE damage from Barrel Roll in group fights is not to be underestimated.
Well, I hope that this was of some use, have fun!

I stopped reading after hybrid.

Jodediah

08-05-2010

Item to consider:
Brutalizer
Soul Shroud
Frozen Heart
Trinity Force
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Mejai's Soulstealer (Seen this a lot, not sure about it.)

Don't level up barrel roll until you are level 13.
Become a master of slows and maximize CD (3.6 seconds on your rush)
0/0/35 = win

Destabilizator

Recruiter

08-05-2010

wonders of AP:
Meki's Pendant + 2 mana pots (health is from your passive)
Chalice Of Harmony (MR + manaregen, barrel spam ftw)
Mercury's Threads (MR!)
Mejai's Soulstealer (very easy to get stacks in fight and to keep them thx to Drunken Rage redux and escape ability)
Nashor's Tooth (CDR, atkspd comes handy when you slam into someone and need to melt them, Drunken Rage provides the AD)
Rylai's Scepter (all your moves slowing now, bigger slow on Body Slam)
Whatever you fancy, Zhonya's or Abyssal :]

Krosan

08-05-2010

I start with a Health crystal (extra HP for laning, helps his early game by boosting his max health for his passive's regen), then rush Stinger. Gragas deals pretty decent damage with Drunken Rage up, and the 40% attack speed lets him farm pretty effectively.

Start with body slam, get Drunken Rage. I usually go for two or three levels of Body Slam before maxing Drunken Rage.

Abuse the hell out of Body Slam. It's an amazing escape tool, it's an amazing chase tool, and it's decent for farming too. If you catch an enemy hero off by themselves, by all means fatslam them, because Body Slam deals pretty tremendous damage if there's nobody around to split it to.

After Stinger, you want to build for CDR and toughness. At max CDR you can keep Drunken Rage up constantly and Body Slam's CD is almost as low as Nidalee's Pounce.

Exploding Cask is insanely hard to use, but incredibly rewarding once you get it down. Learn to aim it, and be patient; if you rush it you're liable to launch an enemy to freedom instead of straight into a Body Slam. Bodyslam can be used to position the Cask, as well-it can give you a surprising hit of extra range.

What's that? Barrel roll? Meh. Some people like AP Gragas, building the AP it takes to turn this into a viable nuke. I don't, not especially; the AP ratios on Body Slam and Barrel Roll aren't that great (Roll only has a .6 ratio), and his best AP ratio, the Cask, is poorly suited for use as a nuke because, again, you risk saving enemies with it. I usually only use it for harass and Veil-popping once I have Drunken Rage and Body Slam maxed.

peyo

08-06-2010

Quote:
Krosan:

Exploding Cask is insanely hard to use, but incredibly rewarding once you get it down. Learn to aim it, and be patient; if you rush it you're liable to launch an enemy to freedom instead of straight into a Body Slam. Bodyslam can be used to position the Cask, as well-it can give you a surprising hit of extra range.

Exploding Cask is insanely lagging in the first place...

SickSkillZ

08-10-2010

I 'v been playing gragas for a while and i 'v tried a lot of different builds. The one that helped me the most was :
Sorceres shoes
Mejais Soulstealer
Spirit Visage
Nashors Tooth
Rylais

Zoolo

08-10-2010

Been using Gragas (skuba power) as a main lately and use him as a tank only.
Ignoring barrel roll till late game and going drunken rage and body slam.
For mastery┬┤s i recommend going 0-21-10 with improved cleanse and teleport as spells. I use magic penetration (will be replaced soon), dodge, cd reduction, and dodge quints for my runes.

Key item for lategame tanking is the leviathan, you get crazy assists with your ultimate and if you manage to get 20 stacks.... the leviathan gives 15% + 26% (drunken rage) + 4% defence mastery = 45% dmg reduction. With a nice health buffer you will almost always be the last one standing or you have soaked allot of nukes which is good as well.

Apart from leviathan i use different tanking items depending on my opponent. Basically armor + health or magic resist + health

My item build for AP opponents:
Health Crystal + Pot
-> leviathan + boots
-> Aegis of the Legion (if noone else has it yet)
-> Mercury Boots
-> Banshee's veil
-> Guardian Angel or Force of nature

My item build for AD opponents:
Health Crystal + Pot
-> leviathan + boots
-> Randuin's Omen (practically made for this hero use it often!!)
-> Ninja Tabi
-> Sunfire's Cape
-> Guardian Angel

Gragas shines if he has another intitiator with him, i love to play with Ashe or Amumu to lock your target so you can aim your ulti better. Veigar's stun works wonders aswell with his ulti.

Gragriel

11-20-2010

EDIT: I totally forgot that a lot of the reasoning behind some of these items has already been discussed. However, I think I'll leave this as is just so I can keep the continuous narrative. It's nice to give a complete, thorough explanation for why I build Gragas the way I do.

I've only recently started playing Gragas seriously, but I've become fond of doing a hybrid tank/spamming-cc build. The final build varies, because I only keep 4 core items consistent between games, but in general I've focused on health, cooldowns, and mana regen. Armor, MR, hp regen, and AP are thrown in for good measure.

Core Build:
1. Ruby Crystal => Heart of Gold
2. Meki Pendant
3. Boots 1 (I prefer meki 1st if I have to choose, but if not enough gold then boots 1st)
4. Meki => Chalice of Harmony (if I can also finish this before buying boots 1, I will)
5. Boots => Merc's Treads (or Tabi for heavy-DPS teams, or +3 for plain speed)
6. Rylai's Crystal Scepter
7. HoG => Randuin's Omen

The Chalice is enough regen that you can basically cast as much as you want, barring cooldown time (Against bots your mana runs out, but they're bots). CDR is obtained from Randuin, CDR/lvl glyphs, and sometimes one of your extra items. As a result of all this mp regen and CDR, your passive gets activated a lot, since it's activated pretty much whenever you use an ability. This is why I have a *slight* preference towards health for the tanky items: The passive heals you for 2% of your max HP, so the more HP you have, the more you heal. I realize this is a passive we are talking about, so it's not THAT important to maximize. However, It does feel nice to be putting all your skills to good use.

Speaking of skills, that's what the Rylai's is for. Sure, the HP is nice, and the AP, while not the core focus of this build, does help you draw attention as a tank should. However, it's the slow effect that really makes things fun by adding to the rest of your cc effects. Thus body slam does extra slow, barrel roll slows both AS and move speed, and the cask knocks people around AND slows them. Basically you get to lumber/jump around and throw around large amounts of soft cc. Oh, and don't forget to use Randuin's active. Lord knows I hardly ever remember it, could be doing so much better.

As for extra items, I tend to follow the same priorities listed at top. Just 1 more CDR item is nice, so I can drunken rage all the time. This is also where I might get an aura item like Aegis or Soul Shroud, just to boost the team. GA can be nice, provided you can keep the enemy team from killing all your teammates first, then just killing you 1.4 times. I generally stay away from BV, bcs the mana doesn't help me a whole lot and I generally get cc'd either a lot or not at all. In either case, the spell shield doesn't contribute much to my survival like it does for someone who's cc'd about once per 30 seconds.

I can't say whether this build works out perfectly. I'm not that great of a player, so a lot of my losses are best attributed to me screwing up. But MAN it is fun to play with these items!

TL,DR: my core items are Chalice, Merc's (or other), Rylai's, and Randuin, finished in that order. Randuin gets started first for the gold.