Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Gragas item builds?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DÓA

03-11-2010

Whoever says Gragas isnt good as tank/support is just plain not good with him.

As stated above, auras/tanky/CD's is the way to build him.

Couple of main things I have noticed with him:

AP does not work end game, many toons will do it much better
Damage is for lolz, and doesnt work well... again, many toons do it much better.

If you go tank/auras with a mix of cooldowns, you can essentially hang in the lane forever. You are a tank with good escapability and disruption. Everything past midgame should be you walking with carry/nukers and giving them your auras while you use barrels to bring in the kills and help you guys easily escape ganks.

A small carry group with Gragas is very hard to gank if grag is doing well. The barrel toss can easily free the carry's to run, while you can body smash to slow down pursuit. When they focus on you, you can take quite a pounding, and you can hilariously escape much of the time by going through the forest, or jumping shore in the river with Body Smash. Its one of the best aspects of Grag.

Grag is tough to play. High kills means you are playing nubs. A good Grag should be more like 4/4/12+. Figure some sacrifices to save your carries from time to time, a few kill steals in the heat of battle, but some serious pushing going on.

You are a support. Feed your carries. Share the beer and the lolz.

Ferg

03-11-2010

Gragas can be played in 3 ways.

1) Most successfully you'll want to go AP. I hear a lot of people pushing the same old item builds you'd see on someone like Veigar or Annie and this is a huge mistake.

Gragas is a hybrid champ and you need to play him like a hybrid. He has very solid physical damage without items and very respectable AP nuke damage.

If you're a low level Summoner and have few if any runes you'll want to get Nashers Tooth twice. With 110 AP and 50% CD you can spam well and will have a very strong attack speed to match. This isn't the ideal build but I personally think Gragas is a champ which really shines with high level Summoners but isn't so great with low level ones.

If you've got plenty of CD from runes and masteries get it once (it's still amazing for gragas) and up your AP and around item 3-4 get lichbane. Gragas can have very strong burst damage but you need to item build for it.

People may be able to do late game AP burst damage better but if you can survive those hits you can often beat them down using your very strong normal attacks and Body slam to seal the deal.

2) Physical DPS Gragas does work but you almost completely ignore one of your skills "Barrel Roll" Giving 100% priority to Drunken Rage and body slam you can manage 200+ damage a hit before almost any other champ in the game (Yi/Jax included but Sion can match you).

Use your Explosive Cask as a CC to separate weak champs and then dish out serious pain with Body Slam to a Sheen'd punch. Mostly get normal DPS items (Last Whisper, Infinity and for Gragas Sheen) and you'll dish out comparable damage to DPS Carries.

HOWEVER you have a very small bag of tricks and you can't take on people 1 on 1 like dedicated DPS carries can. In a group with some more obvious targets you really shine as people tend to not consider you a DPS threat. This allows you to get some very serious damage out and survive when most other DPS carries die.

All and all DPS Gragas should be doing no less then 250+ physical damage a hit (infinity and level 18 is all you need for that) and have an attack speed around 1.4/1.5. That's not incredible but that's a very conservative estimate. When I use it I generally have closer to 330 damage + Sheen and a 250% crit hit.

Klouth

03-12-2010

9/21/0 masteries
Mag pen reds, Mana regen yellows, CDR blues, move quints
evenly level q/w with 1 point in e at 5

Mana Manip to start
Boots 1
Leviathan
Merc Treads/Ninja Tabi
Spirit Visage
Soul Shroud

usually if the games still going I build a rod of ages, who cares if it doesnt get full potential, you're hardcore either way.

HOLYCOWBATMAN

03-12-2010

Quote:
Ferg:

1) Most successfully you'll want to go AP. I hear a lot of people pushing the same old item builds you'd see on someone like Veigar or Annie and this is a huge mistake.

Gragas is a hybrid champ and you need to play him like a hybrid. He has very solid physical damage without items and very respectable AP nuke damage.

If you're a low level Summoner and have few if any runes you'll want to get Nashers Tooth twice. With 110 AP and 50% CD

i stopped reading there........ you sir fail. I will not even state the obvious....

nicosharp

03-12-2010

haha, the gragas item build debate is funny, because the best way to play him is to honestly pick another champion at this point. He is fun and viable for fun non-tryhard games going any of the 3 standard builds AP,AD,Tank/CD. I will say though, depending on team comp, Tank/CD tends to be the best, with AD a close second. AP is if you are just f'in around and rather not play a squishy mage.

Klouth

03-12-2010

Quote:
nicosharp:
haha, the gragas item build debate is funny, because the best way to play him is to honestly pick another champion at this point. He is fun and viable for fun non-tryhard games going any of the 3 standard builds AP,AD,Tank/CD. I will say though, depending on team comp, Tank/CD tends to be the best, with AD a close second. AP is if you are just f'in around and rather not play a squishy mage.

If you're so try-hard that you only pick the champion that the tier listers call the best carry/tank/support or whatever, you definitely don't belong in this thread, but you also don't belong in my matches, so I'm happy with that. I only play champs/builds that are outside of the box, and this (paired with my mediocre skill) keeps me at an elo where any champion is viable. I love it. I hope I never climb out of this ****hole. Cheers

Ferg

03-13-2010

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg (https://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=813779#post813779)

If you're a low level Summoner and have few if any runes you'll want to get Nashers Tooth twice. With 110 AP and 50% CD

i stopped reading there........ you sir fail. I will not even state the obvious....

I fail do I? Well my 2:1 win ratio (and moving towards 3:1 but I don't do decimals) speaks differently. Perhaps you just don't know what you're doing eh?

HOLYCOWBATMAN

03-13-2010

Quote:
Ferg:
I fail do I? Well my 2:1 win ratio (and moving towards 3:1 but I don't do decimals) speaks differently. Perhaps you just don't know what you're doing eh?

Ok i sai di wouldnt state the obvious.... but it seems like i will have to, you are so clueless that you dont even know its impossible to have 50% cd reduction........

p.s.
AP gragas is useless.

the60ftatomicman

03-13-2010

My Item Build: The Spell Pen Build
1)Haunting Mask
2)Sorcerer's Shoes
3)Soulstealer
4)Void Staff
5)Soul Shroud
6) ** pick Depending on situation** Guardian / Banshees / Crystal Scepter

Sheapy

03-13-2010

AP Gragas is useless? Look at your own AD build and tell me that. He has no skills that scale into late game with AD not to mention the lack of AoE. 66% damage + regular AD. Even if you're horribly farmed with 300 AD you're still looking at around 500 damage, not reduced by armor, not split between creeps. Don't give me the bull**** that you can always land your slow on one hero in a team battle.

CDR/AP. 4.8 second Barrel roll as well as a spammeable (relative to other ults in the game) ult.