Gragas item builds?

1234567 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

McComb

02-03-2010

I go magic pen more than ap so it increase body slam damage as well.I go guise and sorc boot then Roa.

pantong

02-03-2010

i start off with the ring then +3 speed boots. the slow ap scepter z.ring and by then the game is over. but my ult will hit for 450+300 someting and if u can throw it in front of a running away team push them back into your people with a major part of there health missing = win =]

Bohicayou

02-03-2010

Enjoying Gragas way more than his spartan looking friend, whose ult takes about an hour to pull off haha. Had good success using Grag as a support going for AP,health mana regen. That barrel toss is great for controlling zones and lanes. Only use i've had so far for body slam is to finish fleeing enemies. His ult is great for messing up gang bangs though. Definitely thought he would have been more of a close up and personal sort of guy but hes got some good ranged attacks that take some time. Pulled a few vics today using
lichbane
mejai's
then rod of ages

game is normally over at this point. Want to try the relai's scepter soon with barrel toss see how that goes in game for slow effect.

mege

02-03-2010

After a few games with Gragas - I am unsure how I feel. I definately think that he needs health to be effective - but having so/so spells coupled with abysmal melee is a turn off. Throwing barrels across tree-lines is awsome though! He's kind of a PvE, push tank... him versus a wave of creeps = awsome. Him versus other heroes - meh. Without his ult, his utility (in this case - knockback) is non-existent.

I really think he needs to be a tank w/some AD/Speed in the end-game. All of his spells are fairly low base-damage, and his melee is very slow. I think he's due for a slight buff - maybe just in base stats a bit - to make him anything but very below-average.

EroticBadass

02-03-2010

I messed with a lot of builds, both AP and AD, at first I went with AD since I didn't know his AP ratio's and I gotta say that his survivability is better when going for dps, but his damage is ignorable since his 'e' damage is split amongst targets.

I need to try AP again since I now know his ratio's are good, but one item that I found that really worked well for him was Soul Shroud. It gives -CD, mana recovery, health, and a nice aura everyone would like.

Now I usually start with mana manipulator then build for Soul Shroud first, and it really works for me.

KiritoTh3Beater

02-04-2010

anyone found a good ability power item build for this guy? ive had more success giving him survivability but ability power would be fun if i could get a good item build

Veko

02-04-2010

ok seeing as this is a more appropriate thread for my item build (then the toggle guide ) i'l post it here again

what I do as gragas item build :

rod of ages
ninja boots
brutalizer
frozen mallet
random health item

works pretty good, but I'm more a body slam kinda dude with gragas.
I found that the barrel roll is pretty sucky for me because of the low dmg and cd

Fantajim

02-21-2010

My AP build:

start: Mana saphire +2 health pots

-Catalyst the Protector (to stay in lane)
-Boots
-Maja Soulstealer (to get some AP going for kills/assists)
-Sorc Boots/Swift/Merc (depends)
-Rod of Ages/Banshee (depends really)
-Rylais (Barrels work wonders with slow)
-Void Staff (to mess up some magic resis they now should have)
-Zorc Ring (final polish before gg)

Barrels do ****loads of dmg and i use Body slam for slowing/escape purposes.

Masteries:

spread in Utility and Offensive.

runes:
Spell Penetration, CDR

IS1611d82ca8b215

Adjudicator

02-25-2010

My question is: Why gragas when you have malphite?

DoomManufact

02-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPandaBear View Post
My question is: Why gragas when you have malphite?
Gragas's ult has a lot more utility than malph's. It can be used like Blitz's rocket grab, knocking back 1 (or more, if they're stupid enough to stand together) back towards your team. It's also VERY good to push their whole team away from yours when you're all running for your lives. It can even be used just to disorient their team when they try to team fight with you, and the atck spd debuff really will turn the battle in your favor, especially if you can stick one guy against a wall while blasting everyone else away.

Gragas's Drunken Rage gives a flat % reduction to incoming dmg (rank 5 gives something like 20% dmg reduction, and tied in w/ 21 defense points you can hit near 25% flat dmg reduction). It also works against tower hits, making him a decent tank. I'd still prefer an Amumu on my team to be the full tank (Amumu's ult is invaluable) while I more offtank, but Gragas can pass as a team's main tank pretty well.

As to my playstyle, I'm really surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. AP Gragas SUCKS. VERY BADLY. If you think it's good, you haven't played anything past noob pubs. His Barrel Roll does not increase in damage well AT ALL, and while it does have a ~.9 AP ratio (ult has a 1:1 AP ratio), it's base dmg is absolutely terrible and unnoticeable.
His Body Slam, however, will net you so many kills it's not even funny. It does ridiculous damage early levels, and will continue to do a 5th of the whole enemy team's health late game, and at least a quarter of a single target's hp.

Here's my skill path:
1. Body Slam
2. Drunken Rage
3. Drunken Rage
4. Barrel Roll
5. Body Slam
6. Ult
From that point on I usually go with a preference of Ult > Drunken Rage > Body Slam > Barrel Roll. Pick up a point of barrel roll around lvl 3 or 4 just because you and another char like Nid or Heimer can harass your scared, bleeding lane opponents to hell w/ Spear/Rockets + Barrel Roll. Drunken Rage will keep you in lane for a WHILE, esp. in combination with your passive.

Here's my very tentative item build. I'm still working on it, but the general idea is to get AD, CD reduction, and as much max HP as you can get w/o sacrificing dmg.
Sword 1st + HP pots -> Brutalizer
Soul Shroud
Frozen Heart
Frozen Mallet
Boots of Swiftness
Perhaps an Innervating Locket, might wanna try a Sunfire Cape, maybe an RoA

Obviously these are out of order, and probably not the most ideal build. Tbh in all my games the farthest I got was to a Frozen Heart, getting Sword/Brutalizer first, then Soul Shroud, then Frozen Heart. I got an earlier Phage in one game, planning on building it into a Frozen Mallet, and it worked really well, since you usually get 1 hit in immediately after a body slam, and usually another soon after while they're slowed.
I heard good things about an Innervating Locket. I haven't tried it, so don't give me any grief about it, just know that it's an option to think about. You do end up running right along their whole team most teamfights w/ ur belly slam, so I would imagine a Sunfire Cape would be good on him. RoA just b/c Barrel Roll does have a good AP ratio, and Barrel Roll does get pretty useful later on in teamfights when they start running away.

TL;DR: Barrel Roll does not scale well at all in base dmg, AD Gragas is a million times better. Prioritize CD Reduction, AD, and max health. Body Slam your way to victory, and be drunk. All the time.

1234567 ... 10