More Questions for the Pros

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JedimasterDarren

02-24-2011

I would appreciate the input of the pros around here regarding the following:

1) Thornmail's passive on hit by standards attacks, returns 30% of damage taken as magic damage. Please confirm that this is unreduced. Thus if you receive 1000 damage on a autoattack by tryndamere, he will recieve 300 magic damage back. Then, the 1000 damage you received is reduced by your armor, etc.

What if you receive damage from items such as maldreds bloodrazor? Is that damage returned? Are passive's such as Teemo's toxic shot considered damage that on hit would be returned back to Teemo?

2) Does spell vamp work on a passive such as teemo's toxic shot or his shroom? Since it is not an activated ability, I would think not. Would it work on an ability that deals physical damage like Ez's Mystic shot?

Thanks

kwjnfkjsdg

02-24-2011

1. it is reduced. if tryn has 1000 crit damage, and you have 100 armor, he will hit you for 500 damage, and he will take back 30% of 500. if not, thornmail would be incredibly OP and kids all over the world would be begging for a nerf. madred's and toxic shot do not count, since they are not actually standard attacks, just on hit effects.

2. i cannot truly confirm this, but:
-i'm pretty sure toxic shot does not proc spell vamp. i have no proof for this, but i used to main teemo and i played him quite a bit. i always got hextech gunblade late game. but even with 20/20 life leech stats i never even saw any health regen numbers appear when i attacked (meaning my life leech isn't high enough for it to show up, this would not happen if i had 40% life leech). i don't think his shroom does, either. when i had hextech, i never regen'd anything when ppl ran into my shrooms...and they do 1k damage.
-ez's mystic shot is physical. spell vamp is for magic. treat mystic shot as basically a physical attack, it procs on hit effects and lifesteal. his W is spell vamp though

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2011

2. Spell vamp does not work on dots. Thus toxic shot and the like of morde's ultimate do not return life on ticks. On the other hand some of the spells have an inital damage burst and that inital damage should be vamped. Unfortunately that damage is usually under the level that the stats show and thus pretty negligible.

Subdue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2011

I read quite some time ago that Thornmail's damage returned is based on unmitigated damage.

creamfrache

02-24-2011

Quote:
I read quite some time ago that Thornmail's damage returned is based on unmitigated damage.
this

tigerllama

02-24-2011

1) It reflects unmitigated damage. That damage is then reduced by the attacker's MR. Which is why the two counters to Thornmail are Last Whisper and Magic Resist.

2) Typical rule of thumb, if it proc's Rylai's it proc's Spell Vamp.