How to play Ezreal?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KyranX

02-27-2011

Well I've been playing Ezreal for about a month now and yet I still don't really feel like I'm winning the way I could. For me it is really hard to carry with Ezreal. I don't really get the kills as Ezreal, just many assists. Its hard to kill someone with Ezreal. I know how to play AP. I have my build all figured out and the playing style suits me. I have a slight idea how to play AD but then it is really confusing. I've been reading a lot of posts and thread about Ezreal and the main thing that many people say is that "Ezreal isn't suppose to stand there and auto attack" even on a thread that is about AD Ezreal. I can't understand this concept as to why not auto attack? Don't you need to auto attack as AD Ezreal? Also the build for AD Ezreal is sort of weird...... You can't really go attack speed because "Ezreal isn't suppose to stand there and auto attack" and Ezreal can't really utilize a crit build. There is only a few items that is pure AD for Ezreal to fully utilize. And even if it is pure AD the Mystic shot wouldn't even do as much as a Mystic shot with lich bane. Some helps and tips would be nice.

ThanatosAUS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-QJZMH9AIQ

It's 6months old but probably still relevent. He builds AD ez and recommends spamming q.

Goldoth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-27-2011

The thing is, AP Ez will ALWAYS do less overall damage with the same amount of gold, and AP Ez sucks at farming.

AD Ez should auto attack, but that's not his primary method of killing. AD Ez is one of the best kiters there is in the game. Mystic Shot can crit, so crit is pointless. Building him like a regular AD Carry will make his Mystic Shot suck. You only want to enter teamfights after your tank goes in, and try to enter last.

AD Ez has a dps steroid, his passive. For 1v1 fights you generally want to kite your opponent till he's low then arcane shift in and auto him to death. Positioning is EVERYTHING on Ez. If you're badly positioned, you're dead. Kiting is how you play him. Abuse your Q's range. It's a fast moving skillshot that outranges most other skillshots/abilites. Use it to whittle down enemy hp then arcane shift for kills. Your auto attacks gain lethality once you buff your AD.

As for builds, I usually go:

Doran's blade
Boots 1
Wriggles lantern
Boots 2 (often mercs or swiftness)
Sheen -> Phage -> Trinity Force
Black Cleaver
Banshee's
Situational item (most of the time blood thirster) (sell dblade)
Situational (often Guardian Angel) (sell wriggles)

As you can see, I don't emphasize AS items. Your passive, fully stacked, is worth about 1.3k gold. Use it.

Ashe/MF/Kog etc. are auto attackers primarily. They auto attack you till you're dead. Ez kites, Ashe can do this to a limited extent, but she lacks mobility.

omgwtflolbbl

02-27-2011

The most important thing on Ezreal is positioning, no doubt there. A badly positioned Ezreal is either a dead Ezreal or an Ezreal hitting nobody useful.

Ezreal NEEDS to auto attack. Mystic Shot spam itself is not enough. He has a 50% attack speed steroid that lets you output great damage with your autoattacks and let's you build mostly damage instead of any attack speed. The problem is positioning yourself so that you don't get gibbed with your short auto attack range. Any AD Ezreal who chooses to forgo his auto attacks in order to spam only Mystic Shot is greatly gimping their team.

Items like Sheen/Trinity Force, Brutalizer (and Ghostblade... sort of, mostly grab a Brutalizer for early game power), Bloodthirster, Last Whisper, and Black Cleaver are all decent. It just depends on the team you're matched up against. Obviously, a fast Brutalizer will let you chunk squishies very easily. Sheen, though not all that good for your sustained damage, is great for bursts with your Q. Trinity Force just has a lot of utility tacked on as well. Life steal is particularly useful because you can fall back and poke with Mystic Shot only if ever really need be, vamp some life back, and then get back into the fray. Last Whisper is an alright item, but only if they have a lot of armor. If they have quite a few squishies, then Last Whisper really isn't that great an investment and Black Cleaver/Bloodthirster is better.

Wriggle's Lantern is also an interesting item to consider as a 1st item, and I'd recommend it if you're forced to hold a 1v2 lane, or against someone like Vlad. Getting madred's procs on your Q along with the life steal means that you can't really be forced out of lane as you just heal a lot. If you don't have a jungler or you just want to be able to invade theirs or snag dragon really fast, Wriggle's Lantern makes that easy, too. It's an all around good item with a lot of utility, but it isn't something you'd necessarily need all the time.

Something to note is that you're a lot stronger early game 1v1 than people give you credit for, especially those with skill shots. Mystic-Shift-Mystic hurts a lot.