A Poppy Guide - Abuse the OP Champ!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EnderA

02-01-2010

Since someone else posted a request for a guide for Poppy, I made this. (See https://www.leagueoflegends.com/boar...ad.php?t=54228)

Summary:

Right now, Poppy is very overpowered. Her passive and her Devastating Blow are unbelievable. Her other abilities are just icing on the cake.

The most important item you can get on her is a Sheen. This makes her Devastating Blow even better. I like to get maximum cooldown reduction to maximize the abuse of her Devastating Blow.

My Summoner Skills:

Flash: This has innumerable uses. It allows you to position yourself for a great stun. It allows you to flash out of a tower's range after you tower-dive with invulnerability. It gives you an escape. It gives you increased chasing capability. It allows you to instantly Heroic Charge in a surprising direction. Invaluable.
Exhaust: This is extremely powerful. It shuts down AND snares a champion AND amplifies damage against them for 3.5 seconds! It will often get you first blood, prevent you from being first blood, and just generally wreck the opposing team. A few notes: Yi's ultimate makes him immune to exhaust, invulnerability makes players immune to exhaust, players can cleanse out of it, and players can use it on you.

You're welcome to use whatever works best for you. I play a very aggressive Poppy, because she's skilled as a very aggressive champion, and particularly because she's overpowered.

Items:

-Start: Rejuvenation Bead, 4 HP pots, 2 mana pots
-Then, Boots of Speed, Sapphire Crystal, Amplifying Tome -> Sheen, and a few more pots in some order of my choosing.
-Then, finish my Haunting Guise. This is nice because it gives regeneration, helping her stay out on the field longer. It also reduces her cooldowns, which is *very* nice, and will flow into later items. It also gives her magic penetration, giving her about 17% or so increased damage on her Devastating Blow and her Heroic Charge early-mid game, and 10-15% increased damage on them late game. Considering Devastating Blow and Heroic Charge are the source of the vast majority of her damage,this is great!
-Then, I get a Stinger. Attack speed, mana regeneration, and cooldown reduction are all very nice.
-(Either now or earlier on I upgrade my boots. Usually I upgrade it to a Mercury's Treads or a Ninja Tabi, depending on the opposing team's composition.)
-Then, I finish my Nashor's Tooth. This gives me maximum cooldown reduction. (35% from items, 5% from runes/masteries.)
-Then, I finish my Trinity Force.
-After that... whatever I want.
-Again, at any point I feel like, I grab a couple potions, sometimes even an Elixer of Fortitude if the moment merits it.

This build can vary greatly if the enemy team has a particular weakness, say if they use mostly magic damage. In that case, I would get a lot of magic resistance - such as a Spirit Visage and a Chalice of Harmony for regeneration, cooldown reduction and lots of magic resistance instead of a Haunting Guise.

The point of this build is to capitalize on the overpowered Devastating Blow. 40% Cooldown reduction reduces it to a 2.4 second cooldown. Given how huge each blow is, that gives you massive DPS. The decreased cooldown on your other skills are a significant bonus as well.

Early Game:

I never solo as Poppy. She doesn't have the ability to harass at a range nor immunity to ranged harassment, either/both of which are essential to the typical mid lane solo, and she's most deadly with the terrain of a side-lane and combined with an ally.

Other than that, my playstyle depends. If I'm up against melee champions, I harass with Devastating Blow. If I'm up against ranged champions, I try to last hit until I get an opportunity to hurt or kill them. I also rely on the support and advantages that my lane partner offers. My role is to dish out the damage, combined with the tactical ability to push enemies in a direction.

Mid-Late game:

Gank, farm, grab neutrals. Push with the team if they need you. Take advantage of the gank/chase advantage if the other team is pushing. Know that you can take almost anyone in 1v1 for almost the entire game, the main exception sometimes being the enemy team's solo. Play aggressively, taking advantage of her ultimate.

Your devastating blow annihilates neutrals. You can take Golem, Lizard, and Dragon more quickly, easily and earlier than most other champions.

Remember that teamwork and coordination wins games. Be aware of the map, and where the enemies possibly are, probably are, and definitely are.

Teamfights:

Some people have trouble in teamfights. That makes sense. Poppy is not as straightforward in teamfights, the same as most melee characters.

Generally, you want to focus on a single target and take them down. If you're in danger, you use your ultimate. Almost always, you use it on someone you are NOT going to kill, at least not within the next 6 seconds. This gives you maximum invulnerability. Be careful of casting it on someone with Morgana's shield, Kayle's invulnerability, another Poppy that's invulnerable to you, Sivir with her shield up, or someone with a Banshee's Veil up. It will nullify the effect of your ultimate.

Usually you try to stun someone with your Heroic Charge, but it's not required, the most important part being that you get up close and smash them ASAP. As a melee character, you have to choose when to commit. Usually this is following the tank's and your team's lead, but sometimes you have to lead the charge, hoping your allies will back you up.

In late game teamfights, it gets extremely chaotic. Everyone's doing massive damage to everyone, spells are flying all over the place, people are fleeing, chasing, blinking, invulning, snaring, nuking, whatever. Just do the best you can, at that point there's no way you can keep track of it all.

General rules: focus the disables on the carries and damage on the squishies first. Focus fire with your allies. Use everything you have ASAP, unless you have a reason not to. Don't start the fight unless you either think you will win (come out ahead) or you have no choice.

Updated as of Feb 1, 2010.

Zombie Irwin

02-01-2010

is she still op'ed after the db nerf?

AmyOverlord

02-01-2010

She will be OP until they remove her passive and put a new one, or reduce the % to 10%.

Jimmyjames

02-02-2010

tried this out a bit. hits like a beast. but its really kinda weak. and VS Yi,. you still lose =( But on a side note. you cna chase down Ashe if shes only got M2 boots with the nimbleness + Nija boots =)

Klazzix

02-02-2010

Few more mins until the patch and nerf to Poppy. However, I still do see this build working but there's something I'd like to ask, what's the AP/Mpen for? Wouldn't Poppy be better with just damage items and auto attacks? And would Devastating Blow crit? If so, wouldn't a critical build be more of a spike than AP?

EnderA

02-02-2010

That nerf has been a long time coming. I've pretty much exclusively played Poppy after I gathered enough IP to buy her after I realized she is OP.

I'm not sure if she'll still be OP after the nerf. Maybe she just won't be an auto-pick for each team. The nerf may change the effectiveness of this build, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazzix View Post
Few more mins until the patch and nerf to Poppy. However, I still do see this build working but there's something I'd like to ask, what's the AP/Mpen for? Wouldn't Poppy be better with just damage items and auto attacks? And would Devastating Blow crit? If so, wouldn't a critical build be more of a spike than AP?
The ability power is a decent bonus to both of her nukes. While the scaling isn't great, it's not bad either, and the cooldown reduction itself magnifies any bonuses gained from ability power. However, that's not the reason I get the stinger/Nashor's Tooth. There's really nothing to replace it on Poppy when going for max CD reduction.

The Haunting Guise gives magic penetration. Devastating Blow attacks do magic damage. (Don't use them on wards or rally flags, they don't do anything.) I believe you can crit on Devastating Blows, but they only crit the underlying physical damage. You don't get 2x Devastating Blow's bonus damage.

My build is certainly not the only possible build, nor is it necessarily the best. It's just what I've settled into, and it works. I think the Haunting Guise and Sheen are amazing for any build, though.

Melonyan

02-08-2010

Are you 100% sure devestating blow deals magic damage??

Edit: Sorry but, I just read this in another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
100% Phys.

I just tested it.

hit a creep for 514, bought sorc shoes, hit for 514, bought Brutalizer and hit for 546.
So basically youre buying all that magic pen and it's only helping out with your heroic charge..

Klazzix

02-08-2010

^ Brutalizer adds damage, doesn't it?

Melonyan

02-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazzix View Post
^ Brutalizer adds damage, doesn't it?
Yeah, but thats not the point. The point is that magic pen didn't change anything. Also brutalizer only adds 25 damage, and the devestating blow increase this player observed was greater than 25. Though I don't know if it was as high as id expect if its pure physical with 15 armor pen.

But then he stated that he tested against creeps.. most creeps have 0 magic resist right? So maybe this test was worthless after all..

I'm gonna stop being lazy and go test it myself, since nobody seems to have an answer except the other guy I quoted, and it may be invalid because of his testing procedure.

Edit: Tested it with a friend just now, I had magic pen runes he didn't. My dev blow did do more dmg than his by about 30 at level 2 devestating blow. Also the dev blow damage seems to go down as your enemies health drops, even though it says the 8% is based on MAX health which is weird.

Melonyan

02-09-2010

Think it's about time to change the title of this thread. Post-nerf poppy is a joke.

Why does poppy suck you ask?
-Doesn't lane well
-Doesn't farm well
-Doesn't tank well
-You'll rarely ever land the stun against anyone with a brain(and subsequently sucks at chasing)
-****py burst damage after the Q nerf

I'm still trying to figure something out with her, but I've tried a ton of different builds and haven't had a lot of success. My best game was basically sheen -> infinity edge as my core but in reality you can't normally farm that much early enough for it to matter with Poppy. In other words, it's starting to feel really really futile and I wonder why I bother when theres a ton of other champs I could play and do well with..