Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Suggestion] Make Purple & Blue team EVEN!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vogie

03-07-2011

Instead of flipping the entire screen, rotate it 45 degrees for both sides

Basically, have mid going straight across (a la Twisted Treeline), and the overall screen look like a diamond

Bad ascii illustration! Change to <-> from [/], where the line in the middle is the middle lane.

Aurx

03-07-2011

Unlock the camera. After you get used to it, you'll play twice as well.

I prefer purple side. I like purple. And my custom melee minion skin makes them red undead.

Septiphycus

03-07-2011

I was about to make a post about this, but then I saw this post. I'm with you guys on this one. The zoom out thing seems to be the best solution. For some reason I have been really unlucky lately and have been on the purple team for the last 10+ matches, and I've won maybe two of them. Riot really needs to address this problem.

Droxalis

03-08-2011

I guess what people are trying to say is that there's only a disadvantage because the camera is locked... other than that there really isn't a difference between an unlocked blue vs. an unlocked purple. I do agree, however, that this needs to be addressed if it's causing this much distress for a seemingly large group of players. Rotating the map so that mid lane is horizontal seems to be the best solution.

Chief Spankaho

03-08-2011

I definitely agree with this post. I have more trouble lining up skill shots and even moving the unlocked camera around when playing on the purple side.

Moonbreaker

03-08-2011

Thank Christ I'm not the only one who noticed this glaring disadvantage. This is probably the second biggest problem in general with LoL next to leavers and the matchmaking system in general.

And yeah, unlocking the camera is not a permanent solution.

Kenfrot

03-08-2011

I definitely agree. I've noticed this many many times. I hate being purple. I also hate that my view is limited, I wish i could zoom out more. Along the lines of side positioning. Dragon is also basically unaccessible by blue. If blue goes to kill dragon, they cant run without running into purple one way or another (mid or bot), but purple can run back toward blue and escape (30% of the time). In the same way, its harder for purple to retreat from barron if needbe (not that your soloing barron or anything). physical barriers matter because not everybody runs flash.

salihe

03-08-2011

Quote:
WWWilliam:
Well you seem to have a difference of opinion from the majority of reply's in this thread so I would really like to hear your opinion in more detail because hey gotta hear from both sides some people have gotta want to keep it this way for some reason?
For example I would like to hear why you think having the camera locked is such a disadvantage?

In my opinion unlocking camera's Pros are you can see further in one direction by limiting other direction view but In most cases you don't need to see further because most things you do(casting spells,placing wards etc) can all be done within a locked camera view and any further everything is in Fog. If it's to see way across map to see other fights etc? There are many ways to do that without unlocking camera I click drag mini map to see across map or anywhere while walking or doing nothing important.
Also while having it unlocked you have to control it which is anther thing to control which isn't a good thing in it self(less things you have to control and still have same outcome the better). So I don't really see much of a advantage to having it unlocked that would warrant having it locked been a Huge! disadvantage beside some long range attacks.

I was originally going to reply in-depth, but then I saw this...\

Quote:
Droxalis:
There is a huge advantage to unlocking the camera. You can position your champion in one corner of the screen and see twice as far in any direction while still keeping your champion on screen and visible. You also are able to click the minimap when someone pings and have it jump and stay there so you can investigate why they are pinging. There's nothing wrong with playing with a locked camera, but to me I believe it helps tremendously when you have free control of it. To me it sounds like you're just starting out. Is this true? If so just give yourself some time to get used to controlling your champion and then you can slowly work your way up to getting that camera unlocked and looking around the map at everything! :]

It just seems like a no-brainer for people since the original incarnation of LoL in the form of DoTA was in an RTS game where you were forced to play with the camera unlocked. So it's actually weird for them to have the camera locked after having it be under their control for so long.

But even with the unlocked camera there is a slight disadvantage to seeing south while on the purple team. However, with a little bit of practice it can be overcome quite easily. Just keep at it!

...and decided I didn't need to rehash what he already said. Basically, having the camera unlocked provides a level of control over your visibility, which the needs for are constantly shifting, which you can't otherwise get with the camera locked in place. I don't hold it against anyone if that's how they want to play; I can only speak my own perspective, and my perspective is that I'll occasionally hold down the space bar to lock onto my champ, just for convenience sake, say, to get back to my champ if I was viewing elsewhere on the map, but I can't imagine being restricted to that PoV the majority of the match. That would seriously cramp my playing style, and I'm so used to scrolling the camera, it's not really so much something else to control as an integral part of every game I play. Meaning, I'm so accustomed to scrolling manually with the camera, I can't imagine not doing it, so, once an activity reaches a point like that, it ceases being a distracting action and more like an instinct.

Anyway, that's just me, and if I'm guilty of being solipsistic, well, then that's my prerogative

In any case, after all that, since I haven't played with a locked camera, I can't attest to their being an advantage or disadvantage, however if one exists...and, judging from the replies in this thread, it does, then it's my hope that Riot fixes it ASAP. No team needs a strike against it before they even start, simply from RnG.

MrNinJaa

03-09-2011

Unlock the camera, problem solved

Vuliev

03-09-2011

Quote:
Droxalis:
There is a huge advantage to unlocking the camera. You can position your champion in one corner of the screen and see twice as far in any direction while still keeping your champion on screen and visible. You also are able to click the minimap when someone pings and have it jump and stay there so you can investigate why they are pinging. There's nothing wrong with playing with a locked camera, but to me I believe it helps tremendously when you have free control of it. To me it sounds like you're just starting out. Is this true? If so just give yourself some time to get used to controlling your champion and then you can slowly work your way up to getting that camera unlocked and looking around the map at everything! :]

It just seems like a no-brainer for people since the original incarnation of LoL in the form of DoTA was in an RTS game where you were forced to play with the camera unlocked. So it's actually weird for them to have the camera locked after having it be under their control for so long.

But even with the unlocked camera there is a slight disadvantage to seeing south while on the purple team. However, with a little bit of practice it can be overcome quite easily. Just keep at it!

I never played DoTA, but I've played quite a bit of RTS, and the first thing I did in my first LoL game was unlock the camera. I've never had an issue with camera control, and I firmly believe that it's the better option. The ability to watch another part of the map while I'm just walking somewhere, to have sight over the entirety of my lane without standing in the middle of minions, and accurately target long-range ultimates far outstrips the convenience of having the camera always centered on my champ.

True, I've actually lost myself in a team fight several times as Kennen, but those occurrences are rare and I deal with them as they happen (spacebar helps quite a bit. :P)