How to build Katarina?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Haruhiist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2011

Not really sure. Haven't found a good solid way yet. Do I have to build Mejai's? Is a Gunblade rush good? Or Rylai's? Deathcap or Rylai's first? Flat MPen or early Void Staff?

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2011

Personal Opinions incoming:

Never buy Mejais, even if you're steamrolling. Getting items that don't depend on you staying alive will server you better.

Rylais if you need survivability and desire a slow to make chasing easier, or keeping people in your Ult a tad longer.

Void Staff is terrible early game and not worth it lategame. The targets you care about don't have enough MR to make Void Staff matter.

Gunblade is a personal choice, and mine is no. It's not terrible, but there are other items you need. Luxury at best.

Haruhiist

02-24-2011

So... Doran's Shield - Sorceror Shoes - Guise - Rylais - Deathcap - Abyssal?

HungryChainChomp

02-24-2011

I prefer to buy a Heart of Gold early, since it helps with early-game squishy-ness. By the time you're selling it, you've probably earned enough extra gold to make up the difference. Also, I usually buy boots to suit the individual game. Sorcerer's is great for offense, but if you're being stunned/slowed/etc a lot, Mercury's Treads can be a good choice.

Kamirga

02-24-2011

My opinions

Kat is all about damage early game, if you buy survivability you're really gimping her incredible early game ability

That being said I do start with a doran's shield, its an incredible laning tool and helps me survive a lot after that i build boots 1, then hextech revolver, sorc shoes, gunblade

Gunblade adds more damage for its gold than any other item, the spell vamp+life steal are incredible for extended team fights

I generally get rylais next for the slow+health

then either defensive or offensive depending on the game itself

Skeleton Jáck

02-25-2011

Rylai's will be the best first item (outside of Sorc boots) you can get. People wanna knock it for the survivability factor, but the fact is that you will do *FAR* more damage with your Ult with a Rylai's over any other item because they will be in range longer.

After that you have 3 things to look at:

1) Hextech Revolver: HP sustainability (spell vamp/life steal)
-Solid item, but it slows down your initial burst/dmg capacity.

2) Deathcap: Pure damage WTF ownage
-Best bang for your buck for pure damage once you start down the AP path, but lacks and survivability if you are being focused all of the time.

3) Haunting Guise: More Magic Pen/Survivability
-HP, Magic Pen, and AP. It's one of the most under valued AP items around. And it's flat out one of the best per gold purchases you can make. But getting it does slow down your Deathcap.

Ideally I'd think something like this would be optimal, not counting team comps, specific game, etc...

Doran's Shield
Boots 1
Rylai's
Sorc Boots
Deathcap
Haunting Guise or Banshee's Veil (depending on how much you are being focused)

After that personal preference kicks in. Gunblades for hybrids who want solid attack damage or Rageblades are solid too. Or just more pure AP ownage. Lichbane is often overlooked but still solid. Some extra MR and movespeed is nothing to mock.