Fact and Fiction - League of Legends vs. Heroes of Newerth

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FellowerOfOdin

01-31-2010

Greetings fellow forumers,

No other topic causes more trouble and emotional responses than the everlasting comparison of League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth. Most of the time, posts made about that topic are heavily biased and the discussion itself is filled with anger and hatred towards the "other" party - naturally, at the League of Legends boards, most posts are made by fanboys thus have no relevant content and are useless for everyone. In my opinion, a comparison of those games can be really useful as a comparison can possible show up mistakes and as a consequence, those mistakes might be fixed or, at least, worked on in the future to get a better game in the end.

"Fact and Fiction" aims to be a thread that is at objective as possible, leaving as much emotion aside as possible to simply show up facts and misconceptions. Of course, it's impossible to get a 100% objective thread as everyone is biased in any way, and so am I, but I'd consider myself being fairly objective as I am a retired DotA veteran ( six years playtime), an active Heroes of Newerth player and a former active LoL player (started playing in spring last year and stopped a while ago due to several critical flaws that Riot seems to be unwilling / unable to fix).

Anyway, just let me put my flame-proof cloak on and let's dive right in the adventure. It's "Fact and Fiction" time, girls and boys!

Quote:
Fact : Both League of Legends are AoS-based games, sharing the same genre (I do not like the term MOBA as it is far too broad).

Fiction : Both games are the same game, just looking different.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends is centered around teamplay and ganks.

Fiction : Teamplay and ganking is useless in Heroes of Newerth.
Quote:
Fact : Laning is a lot more important in Heroes of Newerth.

Fiction : Laning is completely useless in League of Legends.
Quote:
Fact : Laning in League of Legends is ineffective and no alternative to ganks.

Fiction : Letting a carry freefarm in League of Legends is a huge problem.
Quote:
Fact : Individual skill matters a lot more in Heroes of Newerth than it does in League of Legends.

Fiction : Successful teams in Heroes of Newerth consist of 5 solo players.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends is heavily reliant on hero skills.

Fiction : Heroes of Newerth is based on items alone.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends is a free game and Riot is a new producer thus Riot does not have the resources S2 game has.

Fiction : Having less resources is an excuse for fixing exploits so slow.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends is an original game that tries to push the whole genre from start on.

Fiction : League of Legends is 100% original.
Quote:
Fact : The biggest part of Heroes of Newerth's current content is a direct copy of DotA with different cosmetics.

Fiction : Heroes of Newerth is a plain 100% copy and does not implement original content and changes.
Quote:
Fact : Both games' metagame is completely different, League of Legends is based on ganks whereas Heroes of Newerth encourages laning.

Fiction : One metagame is better than the other.
Quote:
Fact : Manual matchmaking in Heroes of Newerth works better than automatic matchmaking in League of Legends.

Fiction : Heroes of Newerth's matchmaker will be perfect from start on.
Quote:
Fact : Heroes of Newerth has the better graphics, both in a visual and in a technical sense.

Fiction : League of Legends has bad graphics.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends is not in a competitive state right now due to, for example, way too late reactions to exploits and critical imbalances not getting fixed.

Fiction : League of Legends will never be a competitive worthy game.
Quote:
Fact : Heroes of Newerth is better balanced than League of Legends.

Fiction : This has nothing to do with the balance being based on a game that has been balanced for so many years now.
Quote:
Fact : Riot Games is a very motivated and close-to-community game company that really sees their customers and players as important voices to be considered.

Fiction : S2 Games does not care for their community at all.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends has the better average community.

Fiction : League of Legends will never get to the state where the Heroes of Newerth / Defense of the Ancients community is now.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends was released too early.

Fiction : Riot Games does not work hard to keep up.
Quote:
Fact : Heroes of Newerth has more depth than League of Legends .

Fiction : Both games have the same target audience.
Quote:
Fact : Heroes of Newerth is crowded by elitists.

Fiction : This will never happen in League of Legends.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends' business model disadvantages casual players.

Fiction : It is impossible to win against a higher tier team (both rune and level wise) in League of Legends.
Quote:
Fact : Matchmaking works in League of Legends after 150+ games are played.

Fiction : ELO is an appropriate way to measure one's skill.
Quote:
Fact : There is no reason against viewable ELO.

Fiction : Having public ELO will yield to less elitism.
Quote:
Fact : Heroes of Newerth has about 30k-40k players online at the same time and the bigger community overall.

Fiction : This has nothing to do with having a huge part of the Defense of the Ancients community playing Heroes of Newerth.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends still lacks mandatory features such as a banlist, a votekick and an anti-idle function although people asked for a very long time.

Fiction : Having those functions will make the game worse.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends has Larias, ihatehumanz and pandamine.

Fiction : Losing community idols will not make the community worse.
Quote:
Fact : Exploits must be fixed immediately.

Fiction : Relying on the player's sense of sportsmanship is a good way to handle exploits.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends' current developing process is too slow.

Fiction : This will always be the case.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends has way too many meglings, yordles , etc.

Fiction : Variety of characters is a worthless factor.
Quote:
Fact : Heroes of Newerth is the better game for players without a regular team to play with.

Fiction : You can make it to the top alone.
Quote:
Fact : League of Legends loses a lot top tier players.

Fiction : This has nothing to do with balance.
Quote:
Fact : Larias' next podcast on League of Legends vs. Heroes of Newerth will most likely be biased towards League of Legends.

Fiction : This makes him less of a cool guy.
Quote:
Fact : This thread will most likely end in another flamewar with very few constructive posts.

Fiction : Any thread will ever be possible to change people's minds.

CptChris

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2010

OK NOW DO ONE COMPARING LoL TO DotA!!!

Kriminalx

01-31-2010

i like your post... its objective and.. well some of the faccts yeah it hurts to see but they are sadly true

FellowerOfOdin

01-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptChris View Post
OK NOW DO ONE COMPARING LoL TO DotA!!!
I thought about including DotA, but then again, HoN is so similar to DotA and, in my eyes, will replace DotA in the long run.

NinjaBoyLao

01-31-2010

I agree on most part but this.

Quote:
Fact : Heroes of Newerth has the better graphics, both in a visual and in a technical sense.
Superiority on who is aestheticaly pleasing cannot be stablished as facts, it is all opinion. I agree that S2 has superior technical people though.

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

01-31-2010

I disagree the business model disadvantages casual players. The rune and mastery systems give a slight advantage to people who play more often for a short time until the casual player catches up, but the matchmaker helps to counteract it until then

YummyCheese

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

01-31-2010

They're not all FACTS. Some of these are opinions. For example the manual vs. automatic matchmaking fact? That is TOTALLY opinion. If you want to make a thread like this, at least make it FACTS, and not opinions. Sorry.

YummyCheese

Adjudicator

01-31-2010

Serioulsy, just finished reading. Who are you to judge balance? Who are you to judge depth? These are NOT facts, and you are misleading people who have not played HoN.

Look - HoN has many strengths, and is better in LoL than many ways - I concede that so you don't call me a fanboy. But MANY of your 'facts' are blatantly just your opinions: FACTS ARE THINGS YOU HAVE PROOF FOR.

T-Ding your thread, sorry.

Tarion

01-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyCheese View Post
They're not all FACTS. Some of these are opinions. For example the manual vs. automatic matchmaking fact? That is TOTALLY opinion. If you want to make a thread like this, at least make it FACTS, and not opinions. Sorry.
Agreed. I gave up about half way through after bumping into too many opinions masquerading as facts.

CptChris

01-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowerOfOdin View Post
I thought about including DotA, but then again, HoN is so similar to DotA and, in my eyes, will replace DotA in the long run.
except you dont have to pay for DotA and you can get battle chest for $20 some places and get the nifty WC3 game and .bnet with it. its hard to want to pay $30 for HoN when you dont get as much as you would for $20. i think DotA could possibly move to SC2 when [eventually] it comes out and that concept excites me so much.