How do you play Alistar?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

h0B0

01-30-2010

alrite so im level 21. i have been playing alistar he is my main hero. and i was wondering how you played him. i play him mostly as support/tank.

Runes my runes are split into manaregen/lvl, magic resist/lvl and armor.

skills: get all 4, max pulv first. 2nd max roar and finally end with headbutt.

as for items. i rush Locket, get some mercury threads, top it off with an aegis. after that i go with the flow of the game. most of the time the game is over before i can buy anything else. if not i usually start a thorn mail if there is alot of physical dps on the enemy team.

so. How do you play Alistar?

Giandris

01-30-2010

start with meki + pots

then rush boots of mobility (very important, greatly increases ganking ability early game)

finish chalice of harmony (if opponents have 2 or more casters) or get philosophers stone

sheen

banshees veil

level 5/6 - or whenever you get boots of mobility - start ganking lanes. At this point, no one is really fast enough to get away from you. Run in behind the enemies (the path that they will try to retreat); pulverize; headbutt back to teammates; profit. If you succeed in 1 or 2 of these before the 12 min mark, you're on the right track.

Remunial

01-30-2010

I like to mix it up every other game or so. Sometimes i will play more support/lane pushing type and others i will play as more of a gank initiator.

If i'm playing to push the lanes faster then i'll start with a mana manipulator to get Locket a bit faster.

If i'm playing to gank early then i'll get a meki to turn to chalice. Boots of mobility are beast for ganks.

Sheen is normally nice for both builds. Its nice for Alistars horrible farming. It also helps do a bit more damage during ganks and along with your Ult it will do wonders to an enemy tower. Ult then hit tower, Pulverize minions then hit tower, heal then hit tower, heal some more then hit tower, etc.

I don't get too many tank items because i feel Alistars Ult does the job just fine. Soul Shroud adds some HP to help out plus the CD redux is nice. Frozen heart is also good if you can get the gold for it later.

borshevsky

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2010

Start with the stun, then headbutt, and heal third. Meki pendant, philo stone(usually sold when buying first sunfire), whatever boots you need, then a sunfire cape or two. Alistar doesnt do much after Q and W and hes so tanky the sunfire capes really add up. They also help him farm and you already know he has trouble farming.

just call me evo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2010

I'm actually about to post a comprehensive Ali guide... I've had great success with him, and I'd love to share my ideas, and get some feedback. Check me out!

HanzGruber

01-31-2010

Nicosharp and Bait both have excellent Alistar guides. I suggest you hunt those down and decide which style works best for you. Alistar is less item dependant than most champs and makes up for that with terrible farming. But with enough practice, you'll find a comfortable item set and learn what equipment makes you tick. Personally, I tend to go:

1. meki + 2 pots
2. chalice + basic boots
3. chosen boots (merc treads/ninja tabi)
4. build aegis (start with magic resist + health or armor + health depending on enemy team)
5. build soul shroud (I usually start with the giants belt since mana isn't a big deal)
6. banshee's veil (if the game gets this far)

I put less emphasis on CDR than those guides, but make up with CDR runes. I also use mana regen marks instead of magic/armor penetration for lane durability. If I have a good lane mate, I've had plenty of times where I don't bother exiting my lane till a couple towers have gone down.

just call me evo

01-31-2010

just wanted to include my guide!
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=53903

Degini

01-31-2010

Sheen, boots, aegis

Can start with a meki or a mana manipulator as well.

Read bait's and nicosharps guides.

Ignore any build that says philostone, or any attack damage items (except maybe atmas if you want super tank).