Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Did you find this helpful?

Yes! 2 50%
No :( 1 25%
Somewhat o.O 1 25%
Voters 4 .

Guide for new and/or Struggling players!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akedomo

01-30-2010

I'm reposting this thread here simply because it is the right spot for it, My laptop would not allow me on this thread yesterday, kept having problems loading. So enjoy!

*Edit* Seeing as this is my first guide for LoL I wanted to if anyone got any help from it, There is a poll at the top that you can vote at!

1st thing is first, DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT! get the recommended items for hero's from the shop page. Some of them are truly a best choice, but your items are completely game dependent, some games you'll be getting a lichbane, and others you'll be getting a second or even third warmogs. I suggest you look at, and take into account some of the guide's on this forum for hero's and suggested items, once you've played enough games, gearing your hero's for each game will become as natural as getting dressed in the morning.

Some people say that auto-attacking in this game is a bad thing, and some could care less. I want to give you the facts here. Denying is a big part in games like this, and LoL efectively does not have this option in-game. So an alternative to denying by killing minions yourself(as this is how it is traditionally done), is to let their tower kill the minions for them, this way they cannot last hit the minion and get gold for it, this will effectively reduce their income and can be seen as a way of denying. Another alternative is to harass Which is a bit more risky, but it involves annoyingly attacking and attacking of their hero. They will stop coming in to last hit these minions and this also reduces their income. So it really is game dependent, if you're playing a ranged hero i would suggest harassing their hero's, if you're playing a good pushing hero, I would suggest pushing to their tower and letting the tower steal kills from the hero's.

Key things to keep in mind when fighting anything to be honest, Stop building your hero's with dps only items, Another 1k health could quite possibly be the best money you've ever spent on that carry. What good is another 100 damage going to do you when you take a beating like a wet paper bag?

Second, start playing some CC hero's and controlling the game, Learn to save your CC for that pesky twitch when he's out of stealth so he can't sit there spamming crossbow bolts in your teams back. Try to get that hero disabled before they can kill someone.

How often do you play a game where everyone picks a dps hero? a nuker? and you end up with no tank, no CC's, this is why games are lost, this is what separates people from Low ELO games to the High ELO games.

So take sometime to think about your hero next time you pick it. Getting a tank on a team increases your chance to win by a hugely significant amount, Getting a tank and disables/CC, and learning how to play them effectively will bring you to the top of your game. And you won't end up having minuscule problems like losing to an all dps team.

BE MAP/MINIMAP AWARE.. Does this need any further explanation?

And last but not least, Play smart, and play defensively, It is better to back away if you're unsure about something not working out, to get out of the fight before your whole team is wiped, You should try to play each hero at least 3-4 times so you know exactly what they have going for them and so you kinda know the range of their spells, and how best to avoid them.

Oh yeah, and please stop whining about tower diving when you're sitting there with low health... you're the one taunting them to come at you.

Riots had enough posts and new threads about op hero's to last a lifetime already, while some are completely legit, others are simply there because people died from not paying attention, lack of knowledge about the game and certain mechanics or hero's in it. So please take the time to learn the game before you decide to post anything on the forums about nerfing or buffing hero's

CC - Crowd Control stun/disable to keep hero's from attacking or running.
DPS - High damage output hero's, normally able to kill another hero in a few seconds.
ELO - I refer you to this forum, http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=12029
Nerf - To change hero's move's/stats and generally make them weaker done through patches and hot fixes
Buff - To change a hero's move's/stats and generally make them stronger done through patches and hot fixes

I hope this helps players get started, or gives them the advantage in-game!

And remember.. Always

When someone on the internet says they're a girl, G I R L = Guy In Real Life

or MMORPG = Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

Akedomo

01-30-2010

bump

Akedomo

01-31-2010

bump! So many new threads -.-

Granrok

01-31-2010

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=47523

scrubout

01-31-2010

Quote:
Akedomo:
BE MAP/MINIMAP AWARE.. Does this need any further explanation?

i'm looking at the map and all i see are a bunch of red and green dots

Akedomo

01-31-2010

Quote:
scrubout:
i'm looking at the map and all i see are a bunch of red and green dots

Obviously trying to be a smartass. And if you're not, red = enemy, green = team...

Watch out for missing hero's, that is all.