Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Maokai = Tank, and why he's not anything else.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Toros

02-22-2011

Quote:
SynthusX:
So basically we should just play a small set amount of champions since they do it best and not give a **** about the other 70+ champions?

Sounds like Nazis are trying to convert LoL.

Several things wrong here.

1) This isn't about "Only should play champions who are best at their role" and entirely about "You should probably play a champion with the best build possible for them"

2) Nazis were not the first, nor the last xenophobic group in power. Nor were they the ones who killed the most people. Awful, yes. Best example, no.

3) Nazis are unrelated to my original post.

Razeluxe

02-22-2011

Yeah hes a tank that at Level 18 has < 1900 HP and 30 MR. He also has no hard CC so honestly I dont consider him a great tank.

Dont consider him a great mage/tank either because his ratios are all so low and so are his base damages. Basically I think Riot was terrified by release Galio and undershot this guy really hard..

Toros

02-22-2011

Quote:
Razeluxe:
Yeah hes a tank that at Level 18 has < 1900 HP and 30 MR. He also has no hard CC so honestly I dont consider him a great tank.

Dont consider him a great mage/tank either because his ratios are all so low and so are his base damages. Basically I think Riot was terrified by release Galio and undershot this guy really hard..

He doesn't have a stun or a silence, but a 2 second targeted root and a spammable interrupt (which is what the knockback on his Q does) is still good CC

Galio's problems were that his Q sucked, his E was too spammable, and his R won teamfights by itself.

He has no reason not to build straight tank all game, which if he had alistar scaling and tank resists would be way OP.

As far as deliberate underpowering of champs, I do think that's intentional. They rather release a slightly UP champ and buff them after a week or two of testing, which makes sense. I'd say Rene is in a pretty good place now.

My original post was mostly about the best way to build him. Other options are really bad, since his innate durability is tied to his passive, which isn't utilized by a hybrid or AP build.

McDracos

02-22-2011

Quote:
Razeluxe:

He has about 100 less hp than Amumu, the same MR, and higher defense. Amumu's only defensive ability is -10 damage from physical attack before armor. Maokai heals himself and often takes less damage from being under his ultimate. So, if your metric of what makes a good tank is toughness, Maokai is a far better tank than amumu.

Toros

02-22-2011

Quote:
McDracos:
He has about 100 less hp than Amumu, the same MR, and higher defense. Amumu's only defensive ability is -10 damage from physical attack before armor. Maokai heals himself and often tekes less damage from being under his ultimate. So, if your metric of what makes a good tank is toughness, Maokai if a far better tank than amumu.

Perfect example.

ZeeRow

02-22-2011

TLDR

But to comment on the title alone, from what I've seen.. Maokai is nothing, period.

Shampu

02-22-2011

bump for justice

Toros

02-22-2011

Quote:
ZeeRow:
TLDR

But to comment on the title alone, from what I've seen.. Maokai is nothing, period.

He's a relatively easy tank to screw up with. Misplace your ult, W into their team at a poor time, dead.

But correctly played he's much better than you give him credit for.

Saplings are great for checking bushes with your team, blocking off chokepoints while pushing so you don't get suprises.

His ult is powerful if placed correctly. 20% damage reduction for your whole team is amazing.

Vulking

02-22-2011

He is quite a tank, I build him:

0/21/9 (skip Ardor)

Heal and Clarity

Flat HP Quints
MPen Reds
Mana5/lvl Yellows
MR/lvl Blues

- Chalice
- Boots
- Spirit Visage
- Merc Treads
- Heart of Gold
- Sunfire Cape
- Frozen Heart or Banshee's Veil
- Randuin's Omen
- Swamp Chalice for Soul Shroud If the battle drag too long
- Swamp Spirit Visage for Warmong's If the battle drag too long

Works quite well.

Toros

02-22-2011

Quote:
Vulking:
He is quite a tank, I build him:

0/21/9 (skip Ardor)

Heal and Clarity

Flat HP Quints
MPen Reds
Mana5/lvl Yellows
MR/lvl Blues

- Chalice
- Boots
- Spirit Visage
- Merc Treads
- Heart of Gold
- Sunfire Cape
- Frozen Heart or Banshee's Veil
- Randuin's Omen
- Swamp Chalice for Soul Shroud If the battle drag too long
- Swamp Spirit Visage for Warmong's If the battle drag too long

Works quite well.

Definately solid, but i don't understand why Warmog's late and why you didn't grab aegis.

Aegis of the Legion is hands down the best tank item to get before the first teamfight.