Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is jungling useful?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XrBob

01-30-2010

I'm always nervous when someone starts off jungling. To me it just means someone has to solo a lane against two, most likely getting their tower pushed very early. They will have more levels, but probably less kills and more deaths. It seems like those who jungle don't pay enough attention to what's going on in the game and are just in their own little pve world, oblivious to team needs. The golem and lizard buffs are extremely powerful and useful, it's just that people who jungle from the start kind of seem iffy to me. Usually I feel like if you want the golem/lizard buff then you should just go in, get it, and get out back in lane. What do you guys think?

Siky

01-30-2010

Jungling is only useful IF you trust your team. If you're solo-queuing, most likely the jungler sucks and the 2 lane is going to get run over against any decent 2 players, since it's very difficult for anybody to hold off a dual lane by themselves if the Jungler isn't keeping the opposing team modest.

Most junglers right now in the game just want to jungle and farm and their rebuttal will always be bad. You jungle to help your team. Someone can hold a lane until level 5 or 6, but past that, if you're not ganking as a jungler, it's going to be your fault when your team starts to lose. You gank, push tower, change lanes, rince and repeat.

Vidal

01-30-2010

Jungling is very useful the problem you are having is the people you play with are noobs and just jungle for no reason. When i jungle as fiddlesticks I start with golem then work my way to liz then before i get my next golem i check mid and top lanes to check if an enemy is low on heath if so you have an easy gank if not just keep farming, immediatly when I hit lvl 6 I ask the team if someone needs my ult for a gank , even if they say no I usualy try to get a gank in then I spend the rest of the game ganking/pushing/getting golem.

To have a jungler you need someone who is good vs 2 in a lane like blitzcrank or chogath, depending on the enemy team's composition top and bottom might have to switch.

Or you have someone solo like nasus who can actualy keep the other team at their tower while facing 2 (with his aoe)

Wu Thuong

01-30-2010

Jungling can be usefull for your team in some cases.

Lets say your team looks like this:
Ashe
Tristana
Udyr
Chogath
Karthus

Now the Udyr player says that he is going to jungle. Luckily Karthus picked Teleport as a summoner skill.
Means that Ashe can just take the middle lane. Tristana and Chogath are both able to take a lane against 2 enemy heroes in general. Now we let the Chogath take the bot lane alone, because you might need a strong tank later on due to the rest of the team being rather squishy.
So Tristana and Karthus are at top lane.

If everything goes well you will have a big advantage midgame, because your udyr might be able to pull off some nice ganks, and remember that Ashe in mid might be able to aid these gangs with her ultimate.

But lets say your Chogath is matched up against a sion (stun skill) and a Alistar/ Singed (Knockback skill). Cho wont have a real chance to solo them alone.
In this case Karthus needs to use his teleport to aid Chogath instead of Tristana.

Tarion

01-30-2010

I'm not sure if I've been paired with newbs recently, but I'm having a lot of luck 1v2ing as Singed. So much that I'm convincing a lane mate of mine to jungle. People always push for the kill, leading to Poison -> Ghost -> Double Kill. Its working so well for me, its insane.

If you've got a bad lane though, or are a bad character for it, a jungler can ruin your day.

So, generally, solo queue jungling = Risky. Premade = Risky, because they'll know to gank you early (And bring along Clair)

Grovel

01-30-2010

Only if another one of your teammates can hold a lane 2v1 and you have good communication to organize ganks.

In an unorganized, solo queued, average pub team it's a bad idea.
Just because random Fiddle/Nunu/Warwick/Udry read a guide and "can" jungle doesn't mean it's a good idea. Jungling is for improving your team and getting a level advantage for multiple players. If Mr. Jungle is only doing it for himself, he's likely crippling his team.

CarlSagansCosmos

01-30-2010

so, is jungling not used for gold but to get buffs to help ganks?

h3w0

01-30-2010

I've seen many total noobs love to jungle because they feel safer out of the lane and its usually the only way they ever can reliably get creep kills. This is not how you jungle.

They only way jungle is actually useful is if its a shaco/fiddle/udyr who pops out to break the game on people all over the map between getting their creep buffs.

Grovel

01-30-2010

Quote:
Dark Brandon:
so, is jungling not used for gold but to get buffs to help ganks?

Ideally jungling is for 3 champs to basically have a solo lane worth of exp and income. If 2 champs can solo a lane and the jungler is efficient, all three out level and out earn their respective opponents.

Every champ built to jungle at level 1 relies on mana for their abilities, so they absolutely need the golem buff to regen their mana pool to keep killing neutrals and not need to pill. So Golem is the first kill.

The lizard buff is mostly for killing the dragon as soon as possible, but it's great for early ganks as well. Although it helps speed up the killing the other neutrals, most of them (besides lizard, golem, and dragon) don't put up much of a fight after level 3 or so.

A champ who jungles at level 1 usually runs a loop until level 6, killing both the Golems to keep their mana regen constant. After that they usually pill/lizard buff (not necessarily that order) and then go gank.

Once the laning phase is over, the phrase jungling can refer to just about any carry farming for the lizard or golem buffs.

PrawnWonton

01-30-2010

Like a lot of what other people said:

Jungling is useful IF:

- Your teammate can handle a 2v1
- Jungler can do a decent job and level relatively normally
- Jungler doesn't have his head buried in his ass; this includes:
- comes out and ganks
- participates in team fights
- doesn't let teammates/towers die while being 10 feet away killing doggies/wraiths in the jungle

(Note: this is VERY rare. At least 98% of all junglers I've had the misfortune of being teamed with would rather kill a couple wraiths than help with anything)

When a jungler knows what he is doing, and the team can handle being a man down in a lane, it can be effective. Otherwise, it will lead to your team losing towers really early, as well as being repeatedly ganked because you'll pretty much always be a man down at least in every encounter.