Irelia.How should i build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asylumseeker

02-21-2011

So ive got a bit bored of my mains (malph, cass) so i thought i would try irelia. How is the best way to build her?

Most guys are saying AD which i think would be best due to only 2 of her abilities having AP ratios and one of them pretty poor.

So hotshotgg's build is boots and tri force as the core. Is this good? or should i build a bit tankier? Others ive seen start with HoG.

Miotas

02-21-2011

i play her rather tanky, and it works really well. still get enough kills and hardly ever die. i start off with a doran's shield, then cc boots (if the enemy team has no hard cc at all, get ninja tabi, att speed or fast boots, whatever fits them best, but usually merc boots are nicest.. makes you near un-cc-able), next is kindlegem, then sheen, then zeal, then finish spirit visage (earlier if you feel you lack survivability - amazing item on her), then phage + finish trinity force. next is usually a sunfire cape for me, then depending on the enemy team banshees, force of nature or thornmail. now add in some attack speed, i prefer phantom dancer, starks, or, if they get all tanky, a madreds. well, you prolly wont get that far, usually the game is over when im getting sunfire.

meanin your core build will be
spirit visage
boots (mainly cc)
trinity force
sunfire cape
+def +attspeed +lifesteal depending on enemy team

i found it best to team up with some squishy nuker. my favourite partner is akali.. i know, sounds funny, as they are so similar in playstyle somehow and should rather not befound on the same team. but still, it works amazingly well.
being this tanky, but having some decent dmg, a nice chasing tool (q+e) and some cc (e) and that awesome true damage makes you the perfect partner for asquishy.. and when there are more enemies than expected, you can cc them and usually distract them in some way from your squishy so he can get away, as your vulnerability for cc in large crowds like about zero. with cc boots and 3 enemy champs, you have 75% cc reduction.

my skill order is r>w>e>q, but starting with a point in q. more survivability, more true dmg, more cc

*e just read that topic about wits end.. this might also be an awesome item for her, combined with her true dmg it adds loads of on-hit-dmg, it gives attspeed and mres.. and mana drain in addition, though id say this is just a nice gimmick, the other stats are nice enough to get it

Atewi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2011

Tri-force is essential on irelia, merc treads are immensely helpful andI build the manamune so that way through playing my game my attacks get stronger and I never run out of mana. Heavy AD teams I build thornmail or the sunfire cape. Heavy AP means I build the Force of Nature. If I need more defense I grab the Aegis, otherwise I try and grab Guinsoo's.

R>W>E=Q

ForeverLaxx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2011

As much as I hesitate to say it because his "core" is pretty spot-on for Irelia, try not to site HotshotGG or Phreak or whoever as really anything more than a "jumping off point". Their build choices tend to reflect their personal style, preferences, and often-times their preconceived notions about what the character is supposed to be instead of what the character actually is.

Moving right along, Triforce and Boots is about all one can consider "core" for Irelia. I posted this in another thread, but generally speaking her build resembles a tank Udyr build to a degree. Triforce, boots, tanky items suited to the game, and a Bloodrazor if it's called for. This might leave one or two item slots open for personal preference, but the game doesn't typically drag on to that point to fill it.

Your skill order will depend on what you're doing. Jungling I have no experience in regarding Irelia but I'd imagine it'd be similar to skilling a 2v1 lane: maxing Hiten Style as quickly as possible, a single point in Bladesurge, and putting your spare points into Equilibrium Strike when you can (leveling your Ult whenever possible, of course). In a 2v2 lane (or if you find yourself as the 2 in a 2v1), I prefer to completely ignore Hiten Style and alternate points between Equilibrium and Bladesurge, with Equilibrium at level 1. My reasoning is that you get much more harass mileage out of leveling your two nuke spells and you'll hardly have any opportunity to "farm health" with Hiten Style if you have a partner.

Miotas

02-21-2011

lul, but hiten style does not only add healing on hit.. it also adds true dmg. and A LOT of true dmg. and you dont only use that healing for farming up, it will give you a great advantage over other melees early game, as they have to decide between dmg and life steal. you get both, as the healing doesnt stop when you use the active.

ignoring it is a waste of dmg and survivabbility

ComradeHX

02-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miotas View Post
lul, but hiten style does not only add healing on hit.. it also adds true dmg. and A LOT of true dmg. and you dont only use that healing for farming up, it will give you a great advantage over other melees early game, as they have to decide between dmg and life steal. you get both, as the healing doesnt stop when you use the active.

ignoring it is a waste of dmg and survivabbility
Hiten style is more useful late game, where everyone built up considerable amount of armor(or they are stupid and have no armor, in which case you should have won already).
Earlygame there is not enough attack speed to deal much true damage.
--------------
Bladesurge(farming) and equilibrium strike(for slow/stun upgrades, because lv1 of either is pathetic) should be use first because when you gank people...very few will stand there and let you whack them with true damage.

Of course, jungling will rely more on hiten style.

For items: Wit's End is pretty good, so is starks(you want to be in the middle of teamfight as disables do not work well when you have merc tread + passive-three enemies around you) and then all tanky items. Attack speed is very good because the more you have the more true damage you can do(late game true damage's value increases considerably especially against armor-stacking tanks).

Asylumseeker

02-21-2011

so yeh, i stated hotshotgg's build because one of the best rated guides on leaguecraft has a bunch of peoples builds and i thought his one seemed the most viable.

so basically if your 2v1 you go hiten because you will get lots of farming. If you are 1v2/2v2 or 1v1 you get bladesurge as its easier to last hit like that. Sound right?

Also with hiten does it mean you get 70 true damage + your normal damage each hit, or does your normal damage become true damage too? If so thats nuts..

Miotas

02-21-2011

true dmg + normal dmg

Legendary Jason

02-21-2011

triforce first

GCqR5Uimh9I8RaTo

02-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylumseeker View Post
so yeh, i stated hotshotgg's build because one of the best rated guides on leaguecraft has a bunch of peoples builds and i thought his one seemed the most viable.

so basically if your 2v1 you go hiten because you will get lots of farming. If you are 1v2/2v2 or 1v1 you get bladesurge as its easier to last hit like that. Sound right?

Also with hiten does it mean you get 70 true damage + your normal damage each hit, or does your normal damage become true damage too? If so thats nuts..
Dunno what guide you are talking about. But ranking W is if you plan to build tanky first and just last hit. Q/E first if you want to build damage first. Though personally I feel like every Irelia should get Q first. W won't help you much level 1 regardless. It's a great laning skill just doesn't have a lot of use unless you have other abilities to control your zone to actually be able to auto attack to get your health up (plus auto attacking pushes the lane which is often bad early). Itemwise, you need a bit of each optimally as Irelia or any other beefy dps...a good mix of offensive and defensive items. I would also say that those ranking up W first probably run attack speed runes since it is more synergistic that way. Q/E are more pure damage normally speaking.

Most agree Triforce is probably the best offensive item for Irelia due to her split ratios (Q is AD, E is AP) and necessity in kiting due to sustained damage combined with good survivability. Lifesteal such as Wriggles is also fairly popular (particularly if you jungle Irelia). Defensive items with CDR are always nice...Frozen Heart, etc. Banshee's of course is great on everyone. Throw in boots and that's a fairly well rounded killer. For more offense go whatever suits your fancy...Youmuu's...Bloodthirster...Rageblade...Ire lia can pretty much use any item as a hybrid champ. The best item depends on the situation (do you need more kiting/chasing, more defense, more burst, more lifesteal, etc.)