Not enough good heroes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MEMEME670

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avloren View Post
Not that I disagree, but I'm curious - what does Karthus bring to a team that makes him viable? The benefits of Annie's burst and aoe stun, or Fiddle/Anivia's excellent aoe damage and CC/support abilities are obvious. Seems like Karthus' CC is terrible compared to any of the other three, and even if his damage is respectable, the others put out great damage too and burst better, the only unique advantage Karthus seems to have is the ult - and I'd rather count on Anivia/Fiddle's ability to CC and destroy an enemy team outright than Karthus' ability to finish off runners with low hp. What makes Karthus at all comparable?
Defile, great laner, and his wall of slow.

Wall of slow is huge for teamfights.

Avloren

01-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMEME670 View Post
Defile, great laner, and his wall of slow.

Wall of slow is huge for teamfights.
Yeah, it just doesn't seem half as good as glacial storm+ice wall. Not to say that Karthus isn't useful, I just can't see what he does that Anivia (for example) can't do better.

ChocoKitten

01-30-2010

Wall of slow has an argument to be slightly better than glacial storm in a team fight.

glacial storm = slow and aoe dmg with a massive sustained mana cost

wall of slow = one time cost and allows your team to destroy anyone who got caught

Essentially since anivia's is useful for raw defense, raw offense, and aoe team fight support hers wins out

Karthus wall of slow only truly shines in a team fight where you can hit 2+ of the the baddies.

choco

Grake

01-30-2010

Anivia is a ladybird. Nuff said.

That, and a great caster. And one of the few mages i find is viable for 1v1, as the cooldowns are respectably low, all things considered, and the combination of slows and stuns can keep them off of you while you lure them into a second round of burst damage.

zoau

01-30-2010

karthus ability to cast after death makes him great for team fights. sometimes the caster gets focused and cant get his burst off, karthus always can. adn his wall of slow, as well as veigars event horizon has often times saved my behind (and its sivirs good behind i talk about). annie and fiddle might burst and kill better but there is no escaping the karthus

TheTruhan

01-30-2010

As because this thread originally started with Veigar, I would start with him. Compare to Annie, Veigar does more in a long run (say 40+ minute game). While Annie has a possible limit to her AP increase, Veigar does not. He can snowball, even without a mejaj due to his ult and Baneful Strike or whatever it is (the Q skill). Veigar has a more reliable stun, yet it only will possibly be casted once in a teamfight but mine you the range is huge and is very good to use for defending, pushing, attacking, ganking. Compared to Annie which has two possibly AoE stuns but in a teamfight, she would only probably use the stun once in a teamfight, and that is usually most of the time for initiating. Veigar can instead reserve his stun for a later use and let another initiate. In terms of initiating, Annie does it better, in terms of team control I would say Veigar does it better.

Well I am literally only comparing Veigar with Annie, coz you mentioned her in your original post. But for one thing, Veigar snowballs...and he snowballs it hard when successful. His snowballing prowess, I think is unmatched to other casters.

Now on to Karthus. What makes Karthus viable, compared to Annivia, Fiddles etc. is that for one thing his ult is unavoidable, except Morgana's shield and Banshee's Veil. What's more people still miscalculate how much AoE damage Karthus actually brings from his Defile. Never have I wanted to let Karthus move around untouched while activating Defile, give him 5 seconds and you'll soon find yourself in the 'grey' world. Also, in terms of constant pushing Karthus does it better than most casters. Possible exeception would be Veigar and Annivia (I can only think fo them when it comes to Karthus's pushing prowess). His Defile Active component and Passive+his spammable 1 second Q skill makes a great pushing method.