Considering purchasing Galio - need opinions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Teganze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2011

Hey guys :]

Alistar's been a lot of fun, but I tend to lose several games in a row and for the most frustrating reasons. Sometimes, I face a team that knows how cruddy Alistar is damage-wise, and so can safely ignore him in a team fight. Even with max CD reduction, Pulverise is on a 9-second cooldown, Headbutt is too situational to be a reliable stun, Triumphant Roar doesn't make a big impact in a short team battle, and his Ult doesn't even get used sometimes if the enemy ignores him after he initiates with his stuns.

I played some Rammus and feel that he's a lot better than Alistar - his ult is even on a shorter cooldown which surprises me since it's so good and you'd think it'd be Alistar's ult which has a shorter CD since it's what makes him a tank.

I also played quite a bit of Amumu, and he's been quite solid, but I've just kinda gotten a little bored from playing him so much :P. Besides, he's a fairly popular champion and I feel like trying someone I actually haven't seen yet.

This brings me to Galio!

Based on my impressions of Alistar, do you think Galio is the champion for me? According to a guide I took a look at, Galio is similarly useless in a teamfight once his abilities are on cooldown. His Ult cooldown is also extremely long, which worries me, not to mention being comparable to Amumu's ult.

People seemed to think he was a very good Tank at one point, but now he ranks at the bottom of Elementz's Champion Tier List.

I'm not looking for an absolutely top-tier Champion, but I would like to know if Galio is at least be considered a good or solid choice and not one that would just get outright laughed at in a competitive game.

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, wrong forum! I had a couple tabs open and meant for this to go into General Discussion >_<.

Teganze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2011

Bump! Sorry, but this kinda dropped down a couple pages already :P. Threads move FAST here >_<.

MatZilla

03-05-2011

Keep looking. I've never been worried about a match facing galio. It's almost like he's a support.

Kalshazzak

03-05-2011

He's got the longest hard AoE CC in the game (great), but it can be interrupted(not so great). Imo, as a 1-3 pick he's not so hot because the other team can make sure they have the CC to stop it. He's amazing as a 4-5 pick when you know that they will not/barely have the CC to stop it. He's also good as the main tank on a mobility/kiting team.

Nahuta

03-05-2011

I have Galio, and I definitely enjoy playing him, but seeing people who play him well is about as rare as seeing a Karma, simply for the fact that he's not an easy champ to play. For a tank, he does really good damage as he gets AP equal to 50% of his magic resistance as his passive, but he's typically more effective as an anti-nuke tank... except for the two simple items of Thornmail and Frozen Heart on him. Regardless of how massively underused and misused Galio is, if you learn how to play him properly, he is a very very good tank.

EDIT: The main problem people have with him is too many players don't build right so that when he uses his ult it becomes like a death sentence for him. However, his base armor at lvl 18 is 85, add 199 from the above two items to get 284, plus if you add his AR/MR buff from lvl 5 Bulwark that totals out to 374 armor without whatever you get from your masteries and rune page.

Seelyon

03-05-2011

Galio's pretty solid, people just think he is underpowered cause he is not like he used to be. I've started playing him again in ranked as a last resort tank (rammus, malphite, shen, amumu + singed taken/banned) and was surprised how decent he still is (i did use to main him).

This Galio guide should help you play him.

Rooke

Recruiter

03-05-2011

i would suggest trying tank annie or malphite. Malphite brings good debuffs to the table, decent damage, jungling capabilities, and a good cc/interrupt utli although, it has a tendency to fail unfortunately.

Before people yell im a troll, tank annie is awesome and funny. im 2-0 (win-loss) which is not very impressive, but i use it purely for fun. Basically get catalyst, turn it into rod of ages, this will give you decent killing power, survivability, and a nice mana pool. Then you just start going tank. I think flash is gay so i refuse to use it, instead i use ghost and exhaust. Tank annie works becausse:
1. People are not smart and will focus fire you because you're annie.
2. You have an awesome aoe stun which is good for initiating and you can stun again relatively fast.
3. Your molten shield adds armor/mr and returns damage when attacked.

Kikhan

03-05-2011

Galio is mainly a anti magic tank so if their team is heavy ad he is not a good counter pick against them. His cd's are long so once you shoot your wad you kind of sit around and watch the fight as there isn't much you can do.

If they are magic heavy then he is a great tank. Unfortunately most people like to just right click so the game has an abundance of AD players and Champions.

Warrrrax

03-07-2011

NOOOOO. Don't do it!

He is freaking awful after his many many nerfs.

Nunu is extremely similar to Galio in practice. He lacks the long range poking, but is much tougher and has better skills overall.

Galio gets free AP from MR, BUT.... his AP ratios are so bad now that it hardly matters! 0.55 on his Gust? suck.
.8 on his slow grenade thing is improved but its a much worse primary than his old Gust.

His ult is fairly weak now. I mean..compare it to Nunu with a 2.5 AP ratio(!!!) and massive damage.

Galio is also a huuuge mana hog.

In any case, wait for him to be on Free week or try Nunu in the meantime.

Kelhan

03-07-2011

Malphite, Amumu, Mord.... they all overpower galio so easily