Philosopher's Stone VS Catalsyt of the Protector: Which is best to rush?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nnyone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2011

when you blue pill if you don't have the money for your uber item, I find some of the gold items are worth getting (more on a support like janna cause you are supposed to be letting your lane partner farm anyway).

HoG and Avarice blade both build into decent items for some champions, philos stone I find is nice for spamming support or harrass abilties early and not having to blue pill/die to the gank that comes 2 minutes later.

Catalyst is also nice but strangely enough I can't recall a single time the level up effect did anything for me (and if I'm doing good I usually go straight to BV/RoD, if I'm doing bad I can't afford it in the first place).

I do wish the Shurelya's Reverie was a little better, if I'm goign to get caster/support CDR items its definitely not that one I'm getting, I kind of wish they combine it and soul shroud into one item so its good for a support and has the aura thats semi decent as well.

Hiranatis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2011

I actually used the Philosopher's Stone last night on Kayle in some games as opposed to my typical build of Meki Pendant into Tear, even though Kayle is a pretty mana intensive champion. The results were overall very positive - the 22.5 HP5 allowed me to spend my mana on RF and Reckoning as opposed to heals to keep me in the lane and overall and didn't so much allow me to stay in the lane more as it allowed me to be more proactive in harassment and last hitting, which is great as Kayle's early game is not her strong suit. In this scenario, Catalyst wouldn't have been able to provide me with that kind of lane presence.

I do feel like rushing a catalyst is better for some champions, like Annie or Nunu, where mana isn't so much of a concern and the ability to avoid harassment (Annie's range) or absorb the damage well w/o regeneration (Nunu's Consume) provides more options for early game item alternatives. Getting RoA on these champions early definitely benefits them more too, which is also a plus.

Shurelya's is an interesting item... I feel like it's a tad expensive mostly because i think the Kindlegem itself is too expensive. You pay 375 gold for 20 HP and 10% CDR, which just isn't really worth it. Compare it to the Stinger, where you get 10% CDR and 10% Attack Speed for only 300 gold as the combine - a much better deal.

Surelya's itself is actually rather good - being able to provide a mini-ghost for your entire team in chases is something I feel is undervalued, but the price sets it firmly in the late laning/early mid game, where things like regeneration begin to take a back seat as people are in team fights more and lanes less - this makes the item conflicted in purpose.

Gunflame

03-01-2011

Hiranatis: Maybe it has something to do with Meki pendant into tear being bad start for Kayle? Just maybe? Also catalyst is pretty bad early game

Carados: I play Flash/teleport Chogath, how do you think PS hold for this champion? I tend to teleport port at min 4 to buy PS or at min 6 to buy PS+boots

Cenerae

03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunflame View Post
Hiranatis: Maybe it has something to do with Meki pendant into tear being bad start for Kayle? Just maybe? Also catalyst is pretty bad early game

Carados: I play Flash/teleport Chogath, how do you think PS hold for this champion? I tend to teleport port at min 4 to buy PS or at min 6 to buy PS+boots
Catalyst is at it's best early game, since you're levelling quicker = more use of the on-level regen.

Cho'gath's passive lets him recover mana and health for lasthitting properly. With that, and mana regen runes/masteries you shouldn't really be having problems on either hp or mp. Not enough to need to buy a regen item on him anyway.