Philosopher's Stone VS Catalsyt of the Protector: Which is best to rush?

123456 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swolegantor

02-18-2011

Cat builds into a banshees veil which is good on literally every single character in the game.

Raklor

02-18-2011

Cata gives you straight forward health and mana and its passive makes up for the lack of regen every level up.

Cenerae

02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTech View Post
And also, no Max HP isnt really better.
Simply because people arent gonna tower dive you when they KNOW you still have that amount of health.
They'll just harass you until you have a little less.
See, sure if they had tower diveded you at that exact point of the game you may would've survived with more max HP. BUT they wouldnt have dived anyway if you had more health. They would've tried at another time where you had a little less HP.
People tower dive you when they think they can kill you. It doesn't matter if you have regen or not, because if they think they can kill you from 100% to 0 under your tower, they're gonna do it. And a philo stone won't do squat in that situation.

IceTech

02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
People tower dive you when they think they can kill you. It doesn't matter if you have regen or not, because if they think they can kill you from 100% to 0 under your tower, they're gonna do it. And a philo stone won't do squat in that situation.
If they can kill you from 100% to 0 under your tower it must be mid-late game. And 290 health aint gonna help you that much.

Carados

02-18-2011

The other problem with PhiloStone is a more efficient source of HP regen early game exists: HP Potions.

Tychii

02-18-2011

If your buying mana regen items your wasting gold -- a lot of gold on something that you dont need
cata is far better in the early game then a philo stone == it takes 16 mins as stated before for it to pay for itself, which slows down all your items for killing people or staying alive, it basically just makes you weaker then you should be for those 16 mins, and in that time the game will have probably had a few fights where your team would wish you werent useless with your precious hp/mana regen...
philo is bad
cata is good

LCS Dyrus

02-18-2011

Philosopher stone versus catalyst. Philo stone is cheaper, but the effect from the catalyst is bigger. Unfortunately, catalyst only restores life when you level up. If you just took a philo stone early on, just to sell it, then it will pay for itself. Whatever you take, you NEED a way to restore your health while laning. Please recall that catalyst doesn't give you any regen. Just a burst restore thing for when you level up. I'd personally say both are great items, but they work better in different situations.
I prefer my philo stone just because it's cheaper and I can move on to my actual build even sooner. That's it.

Korpoga

02-19-2011

I would say that health- and mana regen can be great stat on some char early game. Sure in a fight max hp does more, but thats assuming that you are at max when the fight starts. With philo stone you get some (on some champions) great early game stats and also you get the money back for the late game when you no longer need those stats. But I think its mostly situational if i don't think i going to have need for the regen then it's of course better with a catalyst since max hp are always a good thing.

Larson McMurphy

02-19-2011

I love those kills I get when an enemy comes in for a kill against me, sure that they'll get it because of how weak I am, but I kill a minion and level up, and then kill them. Did I mention I had catalyst? It can turn deaths into kills. Philo stone can't do that.

This isn't the main reason to get catalyst over philo stone, its just another reason, but one that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Narnak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-19-2011

Most champs have no need for philo stones. Reverie is only good on a few champs and buying gold items is usually bad. You are paying for the gold bonus, and are not making money unless you hold it in your inventory for so long. Thus you are setting yourself back in the immediate for a future return. Same with snowball items. Philo stones are really only good if you can manage to farm for an extended period and absolutely need regen to stay in lane. Philo does have great regen but then again so do runes, masteries, or lots of other items.

Catalyst is Awesome with a capital A. But that's mainly because Banshee's is good on every champ. If you are planning to build Banshee at some point (if they have any good amount of CC/burst you probably should), starting catalyst on a mana user is just so nice for survivability/sustainability in lane, as well as baiting fights if you are low health but about to level up. Some champs can even buy two of these and turn one into Rod of Ages. With 2 catalysts you'll get double the bonus on level up (it's not a unique passive).

123456 ... 8