***Most Efficient Way to Gain IP with New System***

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crippletastic

02-18-2011

The most important thing to know about how to approach the new IP system is that no matter whether you win or lose, short games are the most efficient for gaining IP; the shorter your games, the more IP you will gain over time, so you should attempt to win quickly or lose quickly. (This strategy is different if you have an IP boost *based on wins* active: See “Important Note 2.”) In the rest of the post below, I will explain the mathematical reason why this is the best strategy (feel free to skip this if you trust me), and I will then discuss 4 approaches to this strategy: Three of these depend on how your specific game is progressing, and the fourth describes why 3v3 games are more efficient for gaining IP than are 5v5 games.

IMPORTANT NOTE: With everything I am about to say, I am not talking about what gains you the most in a single game. I am talking about what gains you the most over time, over multiple games (and in fact, even over only two games). Long games may inarguably be best for single-game IP gains, but over time, short games are best for IP gains (whether you win or lose) because you end up with more IP relative to your time spent playing. More will be explained in the rest of the post below.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: If you have an active IP boost that is specifically *based on wins*, you SHOULD NOT follow the main strategy presented in this post, as your single-round gains are doubled and therefore are more important than your time efficiency for IP. If you have an IP boost for wins active, you should always LENGTHEN THE GAME as much as possible. If possible, make that win take at least 55 minutes, which is when the earned IP maxes out, effectively maxing out the amount of IP that is doubled. This also means that you should play 5v5 matches rather than 3v3 matches if you have an IP boost for wins active, as 5v5 matches will inherently last much longer. If you have an IP boost that is *based on days*, time efficiency is clearly more important, so you SHOULD use the main strategy presented in this post of MAKING YOUR GAMES SHORTER (including playing 3v3 matches rather than 5v5 matches).

Alright, now on to the meat of my post.

If you want the mathematical explanation, read this paragraph. Otherwise, you can skip this entire paragraph. I won't list all the multiplication examples I've done (this post is already long enough), but take a look at this graph for reference: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...1&d=1297989515 (posted by Tamat, the Lead Community Manager, in the “XP/IP Change FAQ “ thread on the Announcements forum). Keep in mind that we are always looking at the lighter-colored bars (the new system), not the darker-colored bars (the old system). On both the win graph and the loss graph (look at one at a time), take the IP gained for a 25-minute round and multiply times 2, and compare that to the IP gained for one 50-minute round. For both the win and loss graphs, the IP gained for two 25-minute rounds is clearly larger than the IP gained for one 50-minute game; in fact, for the loss graph, the IP gained for two 25-minute games would rise above this entire graph, just above 100, whereas one 50-minute game yields somewhere around 86-88 IP. (For the win graph: 150-ish IP for two 25-minute rounds compared to 135-ish IP for one 50-minute round.) If you’re good with math (or if you have a calculator), you can even try more complicated calculations by multiplying other numbers of minutes times 1.5. For example, 1.5 rounds of 35 minutes is equivalent to one round of 52.5 minutes (make it 53 for the sake of argument). The 1.5 rounds of 35 minutes would yield about 97.5 for a loss and just under 150 for a win, whereas one round of 53 minutes would yield just over 90 for a loss and 140 for a win. (It is possible that these differences do not seem huge to you, in which case I will point out that over multiple rounds over and over again, the IP differences will snowball, and the difference will become much, much greater.) One last and very quick example: Three 25-minute games (75 minutes) versus one 25-minute game plus one 50-minute game (75 minutes). If all games are losses: 153-ish versus 137-ish. If all games are wins: 234-ish versus 135-ish (A difference of 100 IP!!). Overall, all of these calculations and every single calculation that you can do demonstrate the following: Playing multiple short games is better than playing longer games that take the same overall amount of time to play.

In summary, this means that if you want to gain the most IP *over time*:

1. When playing a game that you know you are going to lose: You should surrender as soon as possible (or if your teammates won't agree to a surrender vote, purposely do not defend / purposely feed kills to your opponent so that you lose the game as soon as possible; I understand that this may not be popular to a lot of people—and I myself would feel bad about doing this—but I’m simply stating the most efficient strategy). You will gain less IP for that specific match than if you lengthened the game, but over multiple matches (even two), this will give you significantly more IP relative to your time spent on the games.

2. When playing a game that you know you are going to win: Win the game as soon as possible. You will gain less IP for that specific match than if you lengthened the game, but over multiple matches (even two), this will give you significantly more IP relative to your time spent on the games.

3. When playing a game in which you are not sure whether you will win or lose: The win will give you significantly more IP than if you lose, so you should go for the win if you believe you have a good chance. But if it eventually gets to a point at which you believe you will lose—and that winning is no longer likely—you should surrender as soon as possible (or if your teammates won't agree to a surrender vote, purposely do not defend / purposely feed kills to your opponent so that you lose the game as soon as possible; I understand that this may not be popular to a lot of people—and I myself would feel bad about doing this—but I’m simply stating the most efficient strategy). You will gain less IP for that specific match than if you lengthened the game, but over multiple matches (even two), this will give you significantly more IP relative to your time spent on the games.

4. The shortest games are always 3v3 rather than 5v5. 3v3 matches will therefore yield the most IP over time. In addition, if you're not convinced, playing a 3v3 will also keep you away from reaching the 55-minute mark, which is when IP gain maxes out. (Note: The 22% penalty that there used to be for playing the 3v3 map no longer exists. The 3v3 map is now equivalent to the 5v5 map, except in terms of how long the match takes. If this penalty had still existed, it no longer would have been advantageous to play 3v3 matches for IP.)

Hope this helps! And thank you for actually reading all (or most) of this post. Seriously, you should gain 500 IP just for doing that.

Crippletastic

02-18-2011

bump (i'm surprised this is not more popular!)

Pigoil

02-18-2011

too much writing thats why

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-18-2011

Per-win IP boosts give 141 every time. It's still more efficient to play more games quicker than stretch them out.

Also, I find your suggestions of purposely ruining games to farm IP faster despicable. If you need IP that badly, by some ****ing RP. Don't ruin the game for everyone else.

Sybil Cut

02-18-2011

But.. with the old system.. you gained more IP for short games

So even though short games are the most efficient way to gain IP overall on an IP/minute basis, the old system was just overall so much more efficient.

TheAmygdaloid

02-18-2011

Good detailed post even though a lot of it is common sense. +1

HunterHagen

02-18-2011

It's unfortunate that with this new change getting to your full build will be very unlikely. And that's fun.

Zinthros

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-18-2011

Right, feed if losing to maximize personal IP gain.

Naucitos

02-18-2011

You seem to forget that if you are winning a game handily, you ARE NOT GUARANTEED to win your next game as well, so it may in fact be in your best interest to be a jerk and drag out wins to make sure you get the most possible out of it.and people like you suggesting feeding when you think you're going to lose is why solo queue sucks so much.

Heathenl

02-18-2011

TLDR - Afk Teemo mid.