Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Anivia How-to: Getting a perfect KDA whilst being a teamplayer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

taconight

01-29-2010

i've really taken a liking to the bird.

Anivia is viable in the op's setup i don't think item builds matter as much with anivia because she's a great support dps. R,e, q, e, is amazing in teamfights when you have a great initiator.

she's my favorite champ and have been playing exclusively with her. i build her with dorans ring first +hp pot. I go exhaust+ignite, ghost+ignite, rally+ignite , i really find her summoner abilities not game breaking.

i build to roa usually , and boots depend entirely on what im facing.

some games i build almost solely mr + ap items, or w/e. Great thing about anivia is she can be incredibly strong and useful with many different item builds.

in a , im going to destroy build. i go:

doran's+hp
sorc shoes+blasting , second trip
Depending on flow catalyst or wait till i have roa ready. it really depends on the flow of the game.
void staff typically after that.
start stacking blasting wands whenever i go back just grabbing ap.

Heavy cc, team etc.
boots+hp
merc treads first trip back
if they got alot of magic or are owning me i build to aegis or another defensive item. heavy magic build i grab mr+ap items etc.

i guess from what i've seen, is seeing how i fair mid game really determines what i do late game. these guides show alot of "BEST ITEM BUILD" but in reality you should be seeing what's on your team and what's on the enemy team and build around that.

the only item i really think can be standard for me is ROA.

skill progression should not be standardized with her as well, sometimes taking crystallize earlier is much more important. i think overall the guide is great. nice work. i followed this when i first started anivia.

XGDragon

Recruiter

01-31-2010

You should should read what I stated on page 2 regarding Void Staff and why it's a better idea to get it at endgame.

Why would you ever go for supportive items that champions like Janna and Soraka take? If your being defensive, don't take Anivia. Three of four abilities are pretty useless if you only have defensive items. If they're owning you, your doing it wrong. You can't counter ownage with defense. The best defense is a great offense.

Also, I never stated my build is the best item build. It is very good if your trying to accomplish what my guide wishes for you to accomplish. I'm following my own guide's build, and I'm getting what I should be getting according to the guide.

Zohariel

01-31-2010

So I tried out your build the other day after reading the negative feedback about my thoughts and I have reformed my opinions:

Boots + 2 health pots is a good option when dual laning, where you have a (hopefully) tankier lanemate to keep nasties at bay. The distance you need to cover to get back to your tower is also greater, increasing the worth of your boots. However, without the extra HP you're not only much more vulnerable, but you appear much more vulnerable. Any enemy with a reliable distance closing move is much more capable - and willing - to harrass Anivia with boots, so a greater measure of caution is required. Flash is therefore better in these situations - if you're out of range of a tower, the two enemy champs are alive and you egg, most of the time you're as good as dead anyway.

However, if I were solo laning, I'd almost always go with Ruby Crystal. 300 movement speed is slow, but not completely unworkable, and in the solo lane your tower is much closer and therefore more accessible. In a solo lane you are also the only important target and your lane opponent is almost certainly a ranged attacker, meaning that (most likely) getting in range to harass them will likewise put yourself in their range. Getting hit solo mid is much more likely and Ruby Crystal not only makes you appear more intimidating but makes you much harder to kill when you're the only target. My other reason for picking Ruby Crystal when solo mid is Catalyst. By definition, you won't always have the luxury of getting a teammate to watch mid for you while you head back to buy and recharge, so regen and survivability take priority over maneuvrability IMO.

Also, w/ regard to masteries, I still think any build considering Improved Clarity and Greed should at the very least put those points into Utility Mastery. Golem buff is a thing of beauty on Anivia, especially Anivia with no mana regen from items.

So yeah, my opinions. Also, I'm sorry for the tone of my previous post, I think I came across as a bit of a prat and I apologise. We live and learn.

XGDragon

Recruiter

01-31-2010

Quote:
Zohariel:
However, if I were solo laning, I'd almost always go with Ruby Crystal. 300 movement speed is slow, but not completely unworkable, and in the solo lane your tower is much closer and therefore more accessible. In a solo lane you are also the only important target and your lane opponent is almost certainly a ranged attacker, meaning that (most likely) getting in range to harass them will likewise put yourself in their range. Getting hit solo mid is much more likely and Ruby Crystal not only makes you appear more intimidating but makes you much harder to kill when you're the only target. My other reason for picking Ruby Crystal when solo mid is Catalyst. By definition, you won't always have the luxury of getting a teammate to watch mid for you while you head back to buy and recharge, so regen and survivability take priority over maneuvrability IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree with your post. I will edit around my solo part after I have tried this when going mid. It sounds logical.

I didn't take any offense from your previous post, I enjoy criticism as it gives me more points of view. I try to defend my statements unless posted points are valid. It's basic discussion, one can be overly engaged in they're arguments but I only find this to be the beauty of any discussion.

taconight

01-31-2010

btw i wasnt trying to bash your guide there are very few anivia players and she's an amazing champ. Your guide is successful for you and it worked for me when i started i just changed alot of things up. Seriously a great guide though.

i would say i rarely go defensive ever, but when you have 14 kills 0 deaths you become the main target. banshee's , aegis etc allow you to still be useful to your team when your being FF'd

take rylai's scepter first and cast e on something let me know the results.

Draykeh

01-31-2010

ok so I know everyone is debating btwn merc/sorc boots but I have a rather dramaticly different item build.

Take a deep breath for all you purists.

Regrowth pendant
giant's belt+ruby (depending on cash)
then complete Warmog's Armor
boots of mobility
rod (this is around the 25min mark assuming your utilizing farming and have gotten kills)
Archangel's Staff
game should be over by then

Now this by far doesn't max your dps/burst but your survivability is that par or above most tanks. The fact that you're the best farmer for creeps lets you fully utilize warmogs. This also lets you play more aggressive.

LongMiao

01-31-2010

Anivia doesn't really need Clarity at all unless you're going to be mostly a supportive fighter/ganker/burst DPS-er.

It's all about MP management and ensuring your skills connect. I go Flash + Ignite and still do good. Most times I can even draw first blood or hurt the enemy enough to guarantee them BPing especially when dual laning.

Don't look down on a solo lane Anivia as well. If played right you can pretty much control the lane against most carry characters and deny them precious gold and EXP. The Ruby Crystal as a first item is definitely a good choice overall whether you're solo laning or dual laning( you can shoot for a Doran's Ring first but I find going for a Ruby Crystal -> Catalyst > RoA much better) if you have good MP management or you're packing Clarity.

A good attack combo is W , R , E , Q followed up by E again. The wall placement is the most vital part of the attack since it forces enemies to stay longer in the GS when they have to walk around it.

And boots...I go for Sorc boots all the way. Nothing more satisfying than watching enemies squeal in pain as they eat a Frostbite nuke when caught in a 1v1 or a team fight.

As for items , I go for Rod of Ages , Mejai, Archangel's (more MP means longer GS later in the game) and any HP/Defense item depending on what's on the enemy team. 6th item is definitely Zhonya's Ring assuming the game gets that far.

Klouth

02-01-2010

Great stuff in this guide, used it to up my ratios by quite a lot. Got a point or two to hit you and your critics with.

3 quints of avarice become better than 3 quints of hitpoints at approximately 15 minutes into the game. You should never die on the frosty chicken before 15 minutes anyways, so your hitpoint quints are bested by my avarice. The greed mastery becomes better than any other possible point it could be reallocated to around 10 minutes max I believe.

Clarity will always be useful, when facing down a team at their turret late game, toss up your ultimate right behind their turret, preventing them from hugging it to protect the thing, and wearing out minions as they pass it by. No matter what config you use, this will drain you in a long standoff, having clarity lets you surprise them if they weren't paying much attention and think you're now drained and vulnerable. For a spell that benefits 90% of your possible teammates, and works so well with your frosty mana bleed, I don't get why people are so adamant in calling it a poor choice.

Fallen 62

02-01-2010

I'm looking at buying Anivia, and I saw this guide on leaguecraft. I'm looking forward to trying this guide Ganna try it on the TR tonight and decide from there whether I want to buy her or not Thanks for taking the time to write this.

MBirk

02-01-2010

Quote:
XGDragon:
Sorry for double posting. You state you play Anivia aggressively. Why are you taking defensive items? Ninja tabi? Merc? These won't increase your nuke. You'll just be a very weak tank.

You may need to elaborate Berserker Greaves, why would you ever increase your physical damage?

I feel your build is heavily flawed, unless it's an extreme circumstance. I assume you accidentally missed out boots, but as I stated in the guide, Archangel gives a saddening increase in ability power opposed to Zhonya's, in addition to making your Clarity close to useless. I already countered the Lich Bane idea in my guide, please tell me what you think. If you follow your build, getting Void Staff this early in the game (assuming you went Rod of Ages > Mejai > Void Staff instead of Zhonya's) is kind of a waste of the passive 40% magic penetration. Unless they all seemed to buff up on magical resistance, which is quite rare, they generally have about ~50 resist. I have +20 magic penetration (and even +10 more with my runes, but that's to be ignored). That's 30 resist. Minus 40%. Sums up to 18 resist. Or 12 magic penetration. Let's compare Void Staff with Zhonya's using these averages. ..what the hell, let's also assume you have ~5 stacks of Mejai (50 ability power).

Void Staff
50 ability power
250 mana
12-20 magic penetration

Zhonya's Ring
100 ability power
500 mana
+25% ability power (= with 15 minute Rod of Ages (80 AP), 5 stacks of Mejai and 100 ability power would come down to ~58 ability power)

I find 108 more ability power and 250 more mana greater than what Void Staff brings.
I know Zhonya's costs ~1000 gold more. A blasting wand is worth 860. I strongly feel Zhonya's to be better, and gets even better the most kills/assists you make.

You misunderstood what I was saying about berserkers vs sorc. I wasn't saying get berserkers for anivia ever. I was saying, dps champs, like trist have beserkers as a valid dps option. it increases their dps effective. Sorc boot is a casters only real dps option for boots, and its not nearly as good as zerkers is for phys dps. Since you are only going to be getting 1 boot. its pretty much always more desirable to get merc, mobility or even ninja tabai over sorc boots, imo. specifically for anivia, anyway. The greater def they provide giving aiding in my more aggressive behavior is a semantic one. Becuase I am faster, or can take a hit better, I can let myself hang out in danger longer.
I can get magic pen from runes, imp exhaust, and the arcane mastery possibly. Personlly I am 9/21 off/utilty, so I don't. but still I could.

The item order. I did forget to mention boots.
Let me try to clarify that.

sapph 2 pots.
t1 boots, catalyst. :2pots, cata, t1 boot
rod of ages. :2 pots, rod, t1 boot
choose which boots to upgrade. :2pots, rod, t2 boots
Choose tear, or mejais depending on how the game is going.
finish archangels or get tear after having gotten mejais first.
finish archangels. :2pots, rod, t2 boots, mejais, archangels.
Game is probably over at this point, but if its still going.
choose void if the other team is stacking resist, choose lichbane if we arent blowing down towers fast enough.
Game still not over?
Get the other one of void or lichbane. note, this requires using all 6 slots for items, with no pots.

Liberal selection of wards and oracles as needed.

Zhonyas is powerful and alot of potential ap. no doubt. But its also expensive. And won't help you kill towers, or help you kill people that have resists. void will make what ap you already have more powerful. And lichbane will make you kill towers faster.
You don't really need more help killing players if you have rod, mejais, and archangel already.

Also, you mentioned clarity. I don't really use clarity on Anivia. yes she loves mana. But it does fade in usefullness late game. ghost is great for her, I love clairvoyance, heal, imp rally, imp ignite is great, imp exhaust, and teleport are all good.