Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Anivia How-to: Getting a perfect KDA whilst being a teamplayer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XGDragon

Recruiter

01-28-2010

Quote:
Zohariel:
Do not get boots first. Anivia is slow, yes, but she also has incredible range, two slows and a stun - she shouldn't need to run far to get away and she shouldn't need to close a lot of distance.

You need to close a lot of dangerous distance to get in range for a frostbite, which is your main damage dealer. While of course there are awesome things to say about either +health or +mana, I feel the boots give you a way to frostbite things faster and getting away with it just as fast. Basically, I'm doing a Flash Frost / Frostbite combo about 40% faster than you. Avoiding damage by being faster is better than taking some and getting away (possibly thanks to +health), right?

Quote:
Anivia with Catalyst can be much more aggressive a harrasser than Anivia with boots, for the simple fact that Anivia with boots will still be slow compared to everyone else and will still die to stuns, Exhaust and other slows, where Catalyst Anivia may survive a similar situation.
Anivia without boots is a much more slower harrasser than one with Catalyst. If you harrassing, why are you taking damage? The key to harrassing is getting the damage done quickly, least of all take it. I feel Catalyst is better at level 6+ when your also using Glacial Storm, as your getting closer to the enemy than with only using Flash Frost. As Melonyan said, your faster or equally fast to most champions with Movement 1. Getting Sorc Boots fast definately gives you a movement advantage AND gives you +20 magic penetration, increasing your burst power. Catalyst does nothing for your damage or the speed at which you throw it. Instead, your exceptionally slow.

Quote:
As for your masteries, I agree in general but I disagree specifically with Imp. Flash, Imp. Clarity and Greed. Greed is just bad - 270 gold over 45 minutes is barely anything and will not help you in any significant way. Improved Clarity is also weak; clamps with high mana pools will barely notice and tend to have their own mana regen solutions, while champs with low mana pools will have theirs filled by normal Clarity anyway. Improved Flash is the only one I'd keep if I had to keep one, and I don't because I don't personally find Flash useful - you have enough escape options as it is - if you're still in trouble with stun + wall + slow, then Flash typically isn't going to save you. I would take these three points and put them in Awareness for faster leveling.
I see where your coming from, but Imp. Clarity gives quite a lot of mana in total if you think about using it with 3+ champions around you, which you should have, if your following my rule of thumb of 'staying with the team'. I find Greed to just be cute, as I stated in the guide. I know it's worthless.

I have to strongly disagree with your view on Anivia's survival based purely using her abilities. Let us sketch a situation. Your in mid, around level 7 or so and your suddenly being ganked by two opponents, of which one was the one you've been solo'ing against all this time. This happens to the best of players. Rank 1 Crystallize won't help you in this large area. The stun will only at best stun one opponent unless they came from the same direction, which is unlikely. And you'd have to hit him. If you miss, it's game over, your Glacial Storm is unlikely to hold them back for long, especially if one of them has they're own stun or slow (which is highly likely). There you are, helpless, probably stunned, Glacial Storm is disabled by it, a physical champion is hacking away at you whilst snared/stunned. To avoid all this, you'd have to be more defensive and stay at your side of the river. Or, you could have taken Flash and easily get away from probable death. Perhaps you could have survived without the Flash, but I don't like my odds. Give me Flash. With a short cooldown.

An afterthought. You may even be low on mana. Can't even use abilities!

Quote:
I also don't think Anivia is as helpless 1on1 as you say. I've had plenty of champs bearing down on me, thinking I'm a free kill - they then forget to bob and weave, meaning you get an easy FF+FB+GS+FB combo in. If they aren't dead after that then usually they're a lot more wary of chasing.
I agree that Anivia isn't the most helpless champion out of all in 1on1's, though it's best to be avoided. Any 1on1 is likely to be against a champion -looking for a 1on1-. Generally, these champions excel more in 1on1 and are more likely to defeat you. In addition, unless your heavily fed, which I don't assume you are throughout the game, (because you wouldn't need a guide to tell you how to kill opponents with 1000 health while you have 400 ability power.) who is to say this little 1on1 wouldn't end up in a 2v1? Or even a complete gank, 5v1? Why would you take these chances? Sure Anivia can hold up in a 1on1, but 1on1 are rarely truly 1on1s.

It was a fun game Evilpigeon, though I just brainfarted on that Annie has her little ultimate stun thing. One mistake can lead to dastardly results.

XGDragon

Recruiter

01-28-2010

Quote:
MBirk:
There are a number of valid ways to play Anivia.

The op's is pretty valid. I play a bit more aggressively. Typically, sapph+pots first.
Dorins ring first is also very effective. Especially mid.

the one big thing I would counter is boots. never give 1 specific boot to wear. Everyone takes boots, and which boot you take should depend on your opponents champs.
Ninja vs phsy dps, merc vs casters/hard cc, mobility if they dont have heavy CC. Honestly, I would almost never get sorc. They are not as good as beserkers is for dps.

I think zhonyas is not worth the cost either. I would get 1.rod, 2.archangels or mejais, 3. the other 4.void or lichbane 5. the other of those 2. In that order.

Sorry for double posting. You state you play Anivia aggressively. Why are you taking defensive items? Ninja tabi? Merc? These won't increase your nuke. You'll just be a very weak tank.

You may need to elaborate Berserker Greaves, why would you ever increase your physical damage?

I feel your build is heavily flawed, unless it's an extreme circumstance. I assume you accidentally missed out boots, but as I stated in the guide, Archangel gives a saddening increase in ability power opposed to Zhonya's, in addition to making your Clarity close to useless. I already countered the Lich Bane idea in my guide, please tell me what you think. If you follow your build, getting Void Staff this early in the game (assuming you went Rod of Ages > Mejai > Void Staff instead of Zhonya's) is kind of a waste of the passive 40% magic penetration. Unless they all seemed to buff up on magical resistance, which is quite rare, they generally have about ~50 resist. I have +20 magic penetration (and even +10 more with my runes, but that's to be ignored). That's 30 resist. Minus 40%. Sums up to 18 resist. Or 12 magic penetration. Let's compare Void Staff with Zhonya's using these averages. ..what the hell, let's also assume you have ~5 stacks of Mejai (50 ability power).

Void Staff
50 ability power
250 mana
12-20 magic penetration

Zhonya's Ring
100 ability power
500 mana
+25% ability power (= with 15 minute Rod of Ages (80 AP), 5 stacks of Mejai and 100 ability power would come down to ~58 ability power)

I find 108 more ability power and 250 more mana greater than what Void Staff brings.
I know Zhonya's costs ~1000 gold more. A blasting wand is worth 860. I strongly feel Zhonya's to be better, and gets even better the most kills/assists you make.

giguelingueling

01-28-2010

great guide, there just one of the mastery point that bother me. why don't you put the point on greedy in Insight, because anivia is way much stronger with the golem buff, the more it's on her the better, no ?

looloo

01-28-2010

What do you guys think of:

Boots 1 + Health Pots
Catalyst (1st trip back)
Rod (2nd trip back)
Upgrade Boots

as an item build? This seems to be a good way to get around Anivia's slowness but still give her staying power for her lane, and some survivability for early-midgame. In general, as long as you're rushing a Rod though, you should be fine.

I also agree that boots should be completely dependent on the situation (Sorc, Merc's, Tabi, or Mobility most likely though).

To add to the discussion of summoner spells, Clarity is a definite must on Anivia. I think that Anivia should only be required to take flash if she's solo'ing mid. Otherwise, the skill can be completely dependent upon team composition (fortify, clarity, rally... whatever your team lacks). Teleport can also be pretty lolsy for the "teleporting egg of doom!" >:3

Avloren

01-28-2010

Quote:
Zohariel:
Greed is just bad - 270 gold over 45 minutes is barely anything and will not help you in any significant way.

Not that it really matters, but greed is actually one of the best single points you can spend. It's true that it will not help you in any significant way, but that's true of most masteries, particularly the ones early in utility that you might get in place of it. Example; say it's 30 minutes into the game, you're at 2000 max mana, 1 point of expanded mind gives you 25 mana. This is an eighth of a sapphire crystal, worth about 50 gold. 1 point of Greed has made you 180 gold by this point..

Same goes for improved clarity actually, if once in an entire game that extra mana gives an ally enough to use the extra skill that nets a kill, it's already earned you far more than 1 point of expanded mind is worth.

In fact if I traded anything for awareness, it'd be expanded mind. I can see making a level and getting a new rank of frostbite 1 creep wave early being the difference that gets you an extra champion kill, at least more often than I can see having 1050 mana instead of 1000 making that difference. That's a matter of playstyle though, on the other hand I really don't think greed is arguable. Whatever minor benefit you get from anything in the first two tiers of utility, 180g in a 30 minute game is going to do you more good (not much good, but still more). And that extra point has to be spent in the first two tiers if not in greed, because you have everything useful past there.

XGDragon

Recruiter

01-29-2010

Quote:
looloo:
I also agree that boots should be completely dependent on the situation (Sorc, Merc's, Tabi, or Mobility most likely though).

Let's make a break down of what usefulness each of the boots gives and you tell me what's a better choice.

Sorc: Increase burst damage.
Merc: Increase survivability.
Tabi: Increase nothing. 23 armor and 11% dodge won't save you from any physical dps if your really in the thick. Your still helpless against magical damage.
Mobility: Increase speed when nothing is going on.

Most of you favor survivability over more damage, but I think this is the wrong way to go. Your no initiator. If you taking lots of damage throughout the game, it's probably because no one is afraid of you. Offense is the best defense. People won't continue the pursuit when they're at 30% life or less. If they're focusing on you, a quick Glacial Storm paired with a Frostbite will bring them to better ideas. Sorc Boots will help you with this feat.

A quick note on mobility and it's usefulness: since you should always be with your team, you'll be going faster than all of them. This is not helpful. In addition, if there is a big teamfight of some sort, you should be casting everything and anything. You don't have to be exceptionally fast at the start when you could be doing more damage throughout the fight.

XGDragon

Recruiter

01-29-2010

Quote:
giguelingueling:
great guide, there just one of the mastery point that bother me. why don't you put the point on greedy in Insight, because anivia is way much stronger with the golem buff, the more it's on her the better, no ?

Please read my guide. I said I found Greed to be cute. Go ahead and pick anything else. Though Avloren does make quite the valid point. Especially his take on improved clarity I find to be very true.

Devil May LOL

01-29-2010

I disagree with the first item. I think sapphire crystal + 2hp pot is a better way to start your game. With 3% move speed from your masteries, you have 300 move speed already. You need sapphire for your FF and FB to harass effectively. Sure, you need to come close to them for your FB, but as long as you can stun with your FF, 0.75s is enough for you to close the gap, provided that you didn't throw your FF at max range, and you start moving towards them the moment you release your FF.

Summoner spell, I recommend flash and ignite. Even though anivia does use a lot of mana, I don't think it justifies getting clarity over something offensive like ignite. Trust me, ignite will get you a lot of kills. FF + flash + FB + ignite = first blood at lvl 5. Mana gets you sustained dmg, ignite gets you more burst dmg. As a nuker, I recommend burst > sustained.
Besides, if you take sapphire as your starting item then you wouldn't have much problem with mana.

As for boots, I prefer boots of mobility, since soc boot is just too slow and takes forever for you go fly across the map. But ok, if you prefer dmg then it's fine. I rarely stay with my team, and tend to roam around the map so i need the extra move speed.

Second item, I recommend rushing catalyst instead of soc. boot and blasting wand, since it boosts your lane staying power. While clarity does give you extra mana, it does not restore your hp.

Apart from that, good guide.

looloo

01-29-2010

Quote:
XGDragon:
Let's make a break down of what usefulness each of the boots gives and you tell me what's a better choice.

Sorc: Increase burst damage.
Merc: Increase survivability.
Tabi: Increase nothing. 23 armor and 11% dodge won't save you from any physical dps if your really in the thick. Your still helpless against magical damage.
Mobility: Increase speed when nothing is going on.

Most of you favor survivability over more damage, but I think this is the wrong way to go. Your no initiator. If you taking lots of damage throughout the game, it's probably because no one is afraid of you. Offense is the best defense. People won't continue the pursuit when they're at 30% life or less. If they're focusing on you, a quick Glacial Storm paired with a Frostbite will bring them to better ideas. Sorc Boots will help you with this feat.

A quick note on mobility and it's usefulness: since you should always be with your team, you'll be going faster than all of them. This is not helpful. In addition, if there is a big teamfight of some sort, you should be casting everything and anything. You don't have to be exceptionally fast at the start when you could be doing more damage throughout the fight.
I've found mobility useful for placing crucial walls that end up getting us kills when roaming in enemy jungles, for instance.

Sorc and Merc's have their obvious uses. I really think Tabi can be worthwhile, but it depends both on your team and the enemy team. If they're heavy on physical and your team doesn't have enough meat, you can build Anivia as a semi tanks with 2 Rods and Tabi. Remember that 2.5k HP is really 5k effective on her in team-fights. Overall, Anivia isn't as squishy as you make her out to be in this guide, but I do admit that it depends on your build.

Anhi

01-29-2010

I tried your boots idea. I enjoyed what it did to my early game. I've been playing a lot of games with other champs lately and going back to my bird felt like I was in perputal temmo mushroom mode. No life, super slow.

I like the boots for mid lane because of this. With boots and my points in speed (rahter than shortened death) I can dodge my opponents harass attemps (looking at you cho'goth) and I really did notice a difference in preforming my FB. I didn't think I would, but I did. Instead of madly clicking the edge of my cast hoping to move those few more units before they did I could comfortably cast it and have a nice speed to pin them down with auto attacks as well.

Besides, anything that isn't a boot or rgn item as a starting item isn't providing you with an edge early game. Sure you get a small bonus but anything under 500 gold is an investment, not a bonus.