Ezreal vs Ashe

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Booshin

02-17-2011

I've defended Ez to my friends for a long time. Most of them view him as a throw-away champ while I stubbornly continue to play him just to prove a point.

And honestly? He's not a throw-away. But he is probably the least viable carry (except maybe for Caitlyn)

I understand that there are no bad characters, only bad players. But Ez is at a bit of a disadvantage.

Since I don't play Sivir/Trist/MF etc, I feel the only fair way for me to do a comparssion is to put him against Ashe.

Q
For Ezreal: I love mystic shot. Early game, it hits like truck and continues to scale reasonably well over the course of the game with AD. Unfortunatly, it's a skil shot.
Well, I can live with that. A good player should land 60-80% right? I hit over 50% ususally so that's not the real issue.

The problem is that the first unit it hits stops it. Since I've crested lvl 20, most people I lane against know to hide behind their creeps early game, making it much harder for me to pressure them. It's great for mid-game ganking, but will often be intercepted by tanks during late game team fights.

It does, however, apply on-hit effects and the mana cost is low.

Also, landing a MS will refresh all CD's by one second, meaning an acurate Ezreal can drastically shorten his CD.

For Ashe: Jeez...basically you have red lizard buff on toggle. Not too useful early game but after laning it's one of the best chasing/kiting skills possible. Combined with boots of speed it makes Ashe almost impossible to run from.

Relatively low mana later on. And it is just an AA boost so requires no real effort to land.

ADVANTAGE Ashe

W

For Ezreal: One of the skills that was nerfed hardest by Riot...

A skillshot with an offensively short range. It does slight aoe, but only damages champions, so can not be used to farm. Provides decent ally/enemy AS buff/debuff respectively, so is useful for taking towers/team fights to a degree.

Moderatly high mana cost.

Packs no punch if Ez is built AD however...

For Ashe: Technically a skill shot but a very forgiving one. Wide cone of frozen arrows. Great early game for harrassing. Decent later game for the slow it grants in between auto-attacks. Okay damage scaling. Moderatly high mana cost early game though.

ADVANTAGE Ashe

E

For Ezreal: A built in blink+damage on a relatively low CD? Hard to hate on this skill.
Great for chasing or escaping through terrain. Useful to instantly reposistion to line up skill shots. Linked with summoner spell flash+ghost/cleanse can make Ez nigh unchasable.

The down side is that it too scales with AP instead of AD, so AD Ez (the most popular build right now) loses a lot of damage. Another issue is that the damage at end targets the nearest enemy, meaning a minion could eat the shot meant for a fleeing opponent.

For Ashe: Often over-looked, I'm actually a pretty big fan of this skill. A passive gold per kill bonus (which stacks with a TF you might have on your team) is great. The basically free clairvoyance it grants is far better, however, and has saved me from several ganks.

However, the gold per kill buff is relatively low and not as useful unless the game drags on. Moderatly high CD on hawkshot (clairvoyance) and limited range, especially early game.

ADVANTAGE Ezreal.

R

For Ezreal: Ahh...ults...here's where these two are easily comparable. The only two champs with global skillshots.

Ezreal's has a slightly wider area of impact and, unlike his Mystic Shot, travels through multiple champs and even minions. Good for farming, comparable base damage to Ashe's.

But every until hit, even minions, saps damage from the shot. Which, again, if Ezreal was built AD, will be pretty low to start with and all but neglible late game.

Low CD made even lower with CDr and by landing Mystic Shot.

For Ashe: Probably one of the best ults availabe. Similar base damage to Ezreal's ult, but it doesn't lose damage as it goes. However, it will stop at the first champion it hits and doesn't effect minions. What makes it shine, though, is that it also stuns based on range and slows other enemies near the area of impact. A perfect initiator for late game teamfights and a skilled Ashe who can land an arrow from across the map can give her allies several seconds to wreck an oppenent.

It also has a low CD, though not quite as great as Ezreal's

ADVANTAGE Ashe by far.

Passive

For Ezreal: People used to make a huge deal over rising spell force. Each skillshot landed added 15% AS for a brief time and it could stack up to 5 times, equaling periods of 75% increased AS.

But that's been changed to only 10% a stack or 50% AS increase total at max stacks.

Not bad, but not OP in any way.

For Ashe: An increased crit chance for remaining out of combat doesn't sound amazing when it can be blown by AA a minion. But Mid-Late game, when Ashe has a few seconds to build it up preparing for a gank it can be absolutely devestating, especially paired with IE.

ADVANTAGE Ashe.

CONCLUSION: It's hard to feel like a good teammate choosing Ez over Ashe. He lacks any inherent CC, and if built AD, three of his skills are self-nerfed and he putters out late game.

If built AP, however, his early game is horrible, he's mana starved, and will only do well if the game lasts a long time and he can avoid being hunted into oblivion early on.

If built hybrid, he's all around mediocre. Okay early game, decent mid-game, so-so late-game.

And this is only if you can land skillshots effectively. For a high risk champ, he is very, very low reward.

Ashe, on the other hand, is low risk, ABSURDELY HIGH REWARD. Easy to pick up, if not exactly master, her CC is top notch, damge consistantly impressive at every level of the game, and her all around utility is off the charts.

Anyway...this is all IMO.

It is also TLR.

Rawrful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2011

I think you are highly under valuing Ezreal's escape mechanism. Wait till you are a level 30 in ranked games- Ashe's utter inability to get out of bad situations and utter reliance on positioning makes her a high risk high reward champion, not a low risk high reward champion. While I agree that Ezreal is weaker over all than Ashe, a free Flash can get you out of a lot of bad situations that Ashe would just die in.

Personally, I prefer hard CC to the ability to get out when you mess up, but Ezreal is stronger than you're making him out to be.

xbombr

02-17-2011

I don't think Ezreal's passive is worse than Ashe's. Ezreal gets stronger as a fight goes on or when he ults/lands other skill shots, Ashe just has some burst at the start of a fight.

It's also easy for plain luck to replace Ashe's passive...so idk.

Ashe's other skills have different purposes and different keys. Ezreal's Q is more akin to Ashe's volley (damage skillshot), while Ezreal's W is more akin to her Q (Support debuff spell).

Comparing spell by spell doesn't really do much either. I feel like you have to look at the whole kit before making a judgement. Ezreal is way more mobile and even has higher base MS, iirc. Ashe lacks any escape besides slowing/ulting whatever is chasing her. Ezreal's R is usually used to give full stacks of passive and tack on some AoE damage, Ashe's is used for a single target stun/interrupt/initiator.

None of their skills really serve the same purpose overall in their respective kits.

I'm still a big fan of Ezreal even though Ashe does have some similarities and can do a few things better than him. I don't think she hands down outclasses him like a lot of people seem to think although she probably is better in a lot of teams in the grand scheme of things.

TL Frolo

02-17-2011

Ez is a high mobility burst carry ashe is a ranged dps

A Wild Missingno

02-17-2011

Yep, TLDR. Elementz has an article - which cites someone else's research - showing that a handful of top solo players play Ezreal. http://reignofelementz.com/?p=844

If you like Ezreal, and you are doing well with him, then keep playing him. If you are doing poorly with him, or have never given other ranged carries a good try, e.g. Tristana, Kog'Maw, Ashe, then keep an open mind. Your best route in any case is to take the high road.

NougetTime

02-17-2011

Ez passive is better then ashe

Doctor Swole

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign83 View Post
Yep, TLDR. Elementz has an article - which cites someone else's research - showing that a handful of top solo players play Ezreal. http://reignofelementz.com/?p=844

If you like Ezreal, and you are doing well with him, then keep playing him. If you are doing poorly with him, or have never given other ranged carries a good try, e.g. Tristana, Kog'Maw, Ashe, then keep an open mind. Your best route in any case is to take the high road.
top elo players play ezreal because they mained him from the golden days of ezreal godmode lizard buff carry and just never quit him. Xpecial says he plays ez because he is most comfortable with him.

me too. i'm not the best ez player but given a choice of ranged carry i'd play ezreal any day

Booshin

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NougetTime View Post
Ez passive is better then ashe
I would have agreed when it was 75%. But at only 50% after 5 full stacks I don't think so. Especially since his AA range is less than Ashe's.

As for comparing them spell for spell, I understand that it isn't a perfect system. However, I would argure that, since they are both designed to fill more or less the same roll (ranged carry) it is admissable.

Looking at it from a team stand point, it just feels like Ashe brings much more to the table. I am a fan of Ezreal's mobility, but it seems like he sacrifices a lot just to stay mobile.

Then again, I'm only lvl 27, so maybe the mobility makes up for it at high ELO?