Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Since Riot Can't Do Math - How to Fix IP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Atreties

02-17-2011

The average game length on LoL is 35 Minutes. This is fairly well known. If you don't believe me, check LoLbase.net (this may change with the new 20 min surrender, but the post still applies.)

Anyway, with that baseline average gametime, apply the average win and loss IP amounts. I believe this was pretty close to 105 for a win and 75 for a loss, right?

Anyway, make every game a simple algebraic equasion based on those 2 sets of numbers. Dont understand what i mean? Here's the formula and an example afterwards:

X/35 = Y/105, Where X = minutes played in the game, and Y will be the IP earned for that game.

Let's say you have a 70 minute game.

70m/35 = 210IP/105

That way, you get lots of IP for winning a long, drawn out game. LOTS of it. Big number. Everyone happy.

By the same token, lets say you have a 20-min surrender

m/35 = 60IP/105

You get much less IP for the quick, easy win.

Also, the same equation can be used for the losses

But guess what? The total amount of IP given out doesn't change! So Riot can make their fans happy while still making the same amount of profit!

Math. It helps to learn it and use it.

Quote:
Tryndamere:
Things should NOT be worse. If they are, then we will tweak values.

Have some patience and just keep giving us feedback to help us find the right place. The goal was NOT to reduce gains, so you guys have nothing to fear - if they ARE less, then we will increase them, it's simple

I don't care what things SHOULD be. I care how things ARE. And they are LOWER than before. Just look around.
Quote:
I lost a 35 minute game and got 54 IP. Disappointing.
Quote:
I just won an 80 minute game and got 95 IP.
Quote:
Hey! I just won a 33 minute game and got 90 IP!
A 33 minute game in the past (close to average. May be the new average given the 20m surrender now) should have been around 100-110 IP
a 35 minute loss should have gotten 70-80 IP.

Also, if you are averaging the losses around 40 minutes, Which you have stated here: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=6288359#post6288359 then your goal, by definition IS TO LOWER THE TOTAL IP GAINED. Why? Because the average IS NOT 40.

Once again. Pull out a 10-year-old's math textbook and learn something.

-----------------------------
Check out my League of Legends Blog!

http://atreties.blogspot.com/

Quizard Raderack

02-17-2011

The problem is any of riot actually "see" this.
It appears that they want to lost players,due to this ip issue..

DrDragun

02-17-2011

Your equation is strange. Just multiply both sides by 35 so it's less overwrought.

X=Y/3 is the same as X/35=Y/105. Stop trying to sound extra smart by padding your equation with more junk.

You can also make it scale non-linearly or at least add a base 15-20 IP as a foundation for time spent in the queue. Also Riot has people from MIT and top engineering schools... I'm sure anything they do is deliberate when it comes to math.

Endoscopy

Recruiter

02-17-2011

This makes sense. Unfortunately, Riot Games Inc. fail to see any bit of sense the community has to offer. If it helps, I love the hell out of you IP system. It's fair and balanced and working.

Malduk

02-17-2011

Sorry, but my IP gains were HIGHER than that too, AND my average games were SHORTER than 35 minutes. 40+ minutes games were rare, not because of players, but because of RIOTs matchmaking system. Stomps + custom games are a huge part of IP gain for an average Joe.

emptyopen

02-17-2011

I wonder if it was careless or deliberate. It would be the difference between whether Riot will survive or not. Riot got where they are today by being good people who made a game for fans. If greed gets its roots in too deeply, consequences will never be the same.

DrDragun

02-17-2011

I think IP should be non-linear with time because a team who has a guaranteed win will have an incentive to just let the game linger so they can spend more minutes at a "winning IP rate per minute" before finishing up the game. This gives the losing team incentive to surrender out of spite and force everyone to get a lower IP gain.

Tayroq

02-17-2011

Quote:
emptyopen:
I wonder if it was careless or deliberate. It would be the difference between whether Riot will survive or not. Riot got where they are today by being good people who made a game for fans. If greed gets its roots in too deeply, consequences will never be the same.

agree

Atreties

02-17-2011

Quote:
DrDragun:
Your equation is strange. Just multiply both sides by 35 so it's less overwrought.

X=Y/3 is the same as X/35=Y/105. Stop trying to sound extra smart by padding your equation with more junk.

You can also make it scale non-linearly or at least add a base 15-20 IP as a foundation for time spent in the queue. Also Riot has people from MIT and top engineering schools... I'm sure anything they do is deliberate when it comes to math.

The point is that the equation would work for any average of game time and any average of IP gained on the winning or losing side.

Tryndamere

President / Co-Founder

Follow MarcMerrill on Twitter

02-17-2011

Things should NOT be worse. If they are, then we will tweak values.

Have some patience and just keep giving us feedback to help us find the right place. The goal was NOT to reduce gains, so you guys have nothing to fear - if they ARE less, then we will increase them, it's simple