How to unlock champions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tryke

01-26-2010

So I'm new to LoL and I see that some champions are available temporarily but you can unlock a champion with rp/ip. I'm wondering how I should unlock these champions.

For now, I don't have riot points to spend yet. The prices for the champions in ip are
450, 1350, 3150, 6300. Do these prices correspond to general power level of these champs? I'm thinking of buying some of the 450 champs, but if they are "less power/use-ful" I don't want to waste points on them. Any suggestions on who is a good champion to unlock?

So how should I unlock them? Cheap ones first, expensive later, or save up for the good expensive ones first and just play the temporary champs for now?

Tarion

01-26-2010

Generally, cheaper champions tend to be easier to play.

That aside, I would recommend waiting until the start of the next rotation. Between now and then, try all the champions in the current rotation. After it shifts, try all the new champions. Then, if you don't like one of the champions in that rotation, by your favourite (that you can afford) from the last rotation.

Should keep you in characters you like, and avoid unnecessary IP Loss.

Devil May LOL

01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryke View Post
So I'm new to LoL and I see that some champions are available temporarily but you can unlock a champion with rp/ip. I'm wondering how I should unlock these champions.

For now, I don't have riot points to spend yet. The prices for the champions in ip are
450, 1350, 3150, 6300. Do these prices correspond to general power level of these champs? I'm thinking of buying some of the 450 champs, but if they are "less power/use-ful" I don't want to waste points on them. Any suggestions on who is a good champion to unlock?

So how should I unlock them? Cheap ones first, expensive later, or save up for the good expensive ones first and just play the temporary champs for now?
Agreed. Cheaper champs are easier to play. This however does not implies more expensive = better champ.
That being said, 6300 ip champ are very hard to master, the exception maybe with twitch only. Anivia and Karthus imo are ridiculously hard to learn, but once you get the concept they are incredibly powerful and satisfying to play.
Definitely try the champ first before you buy them, or at least see how people use that champ first to get a feel how that champ is played.

Tryke

01-26-2010

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll testdrive the champions before I buy them. I was mainly worried about buying an expensive champ to find that I don't like them. Also, for the price of a 3150 champ I could unlock seven 450 champs, etc.

IceDeh

03-25-2012

seus merdoes

IS13257f93a779f4

03-25-2012

Dunkmaster Yi is best to learn with

TheFailBus

03-25-2012

My advice would be one of two paths:

-buy a bit of RP and buy one of the big bundles (digital collectors pack being optimal)

or if you don't want to spend any RP yet:
- like/follow Riot on both Facebook and Twitter, this gives you a unique skin for Tristana and Alistair, which also unlocks both champions for free
- Buy all the 450 ip heroes
- Save for your level 21-30 runes and only buy champions you desperately want until then.

The 450ip and two free champs give you a good spread of heroes which should let you play most roles in the game. Poppy and Yi are solid top lane choices, Ryze and Annie are fantastic Mid AP choices, Ashe, Sivir and Trist are all good AD carries for bot lane, Soraka, Kayle, Nunu and Alistair give you a good spread between sustain support and aggressive support for bot lane, and Yi, Nunu and Alistair can all jungle competently.

SillyDodo

03-25-2012

Senior member? Sssssup?

Well, the first two responses really summed it up
I hope you enjoy the champs..

PhreaksWilly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2012

So why was a thread necro'd from 2010?

Thieves Forest

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-25-2012

Let's take a look at AD carries as an example to answer your question:

Here is their price range:
450: Ashe and Sivir
1350: Tristana
3150: Corki, Twitch
4800: Miss Fortune
6300: Vayne, Caitlyn, Graves, Kog'Maw

As far as winning currently, Graves, Kog, MF, Ashe and Sivir are over .500 and Twitch is right at .500

That's misleading because Caitlyn and Vayne are also strong, but they have a lot of bad people playing them as well.

But you can see that the top AD carries can come from any level.