Pando Media Booster; Uncool.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ludek

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2011

This is good to know, thanks.

lolangeles

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Settraxi View Post
You really think so? Come on man, you don't think you didn't agree to this via the EULA? You really think tencent is going to lose? Find me a lawyer that wants to waste his time with international litigation versus american and chinese companies...see you in 10 years. Tl;dr: leagur players are so dumb sometimes
The OP already said he verified there is nothing in the EULA that mentions the spyware. Also look up the case of the man who sues every company that sends him spam mail and makes a living doing it. Litigation doesn't go on for 10yrs. That costs the companies too much and they always settle out of court for a nominal amount.

If this was already mentioned in the EULA then worthless pursuit but if the OP is correct than it has merrit.

Akaiko

02-17-2011

So is it ok to uninstall that ****ty thing and still be able to play?

(Sorry if I missed it in the earlier pages)

Dobry Den

02-17-2011

Uh, run a sniffer on PMB before you make a thread.

I've played almost a dozen games this morning.

Total network transfer from PMB: 2 megabytes.

If that's what you call excessive, sounds like Australians need to start a revolution rather than complain about 2mb after a dozen games.

I3ig B

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2011

bump

Not a Cobra

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolangeles View Post
I smell a potential lawsuit. Any lawyers here?

A case could be made to recoup expenses from Australian users for bandwidth theft.

for example. $100/mo 10gb bandwidth cap. Riot stealthly stole 4gb. That's $40 to refund the Australian person. now times that by 200,000 Australians is 8million dollars Riot owes.

I can bet you there are some lawyers who would pursue this for a cut of that.

edit: this also falls under copyright laws I just googled and it's illegal
Well, I'm not sure how viable this will be.
I'm sure they'll find some way of saying "You agreed to use our methods to download information" and it's true that pando media booster CAN be used to download, but they're just saying that to cover themselves.
They never mentioned the gigabytes a week it's uploading, nor how sneaky and well hidden it is, nor how it will never prompt you, nor warn you of it's activities.
If somebody could get me the exact ToS and EULA I'd appreciate it, I want to take a long sprall through and see if I can find anything mentioning Pando at all, and if not, I'm gunna start sending emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Settraxi View Post
You really think so? Come on man, you don't think you didn't agree to this via the EULA? You really think tencent is going to lose? Find me a lawyer that wants to waste his time with international litigation versus american and chinese companies...see you in 10 years. Tl;dr: leagur players are so dumb sometimes
Please, find me the part of the EULA that mentions pando media booster, or even just a generic reference to a background constant upload poor security p2p software.
As for 10 year law cases....
You do realise the cost to Riot to have a 10 year law suit will be markedly higher than a settlement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrad View Post
PMB does help with the patches. Without it, it takes ages for a patch to run through my crappy net.

I don't think it's bad, but it does randomly use up resources.
Well, that's the thing.
It's not exactly malware, I'm not saying it's an evil program. That's not my problem with it.
My problem is the fact that it's so invasive, underhanded and sneaks in below the radar to begin constant uploads makes it a real problem for people like Australians, or people who don't want background software running constantly without even showing up in the task manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
Uh, run a sniffer on PMB before you make a thread.

I've played almost a dozen games this morning.

Total network transfer from PMB: 2 megabytes.

If that's what you call excessive, sounds like Australians need to start a revolution rather than complain about 2mb after a dozen games.
Run a sniffer before you make a thread?
you act as though I'm some looney who didn't put any thought into this.
Trust me, I spent more than half an hour keeping track of it's average network uploads.
I also checked my daily downloads and uploads from my ISP for the duration of it's activity.

It was downloading at (on average) 20KB/S with frequent spikes of between 80 and 100 KB/s.
Over the 3 days I know it was running, over 4.5GB of my bandwidth was used, checking my ISP confirmed a usage of about 1.3-1.4Gigabytes extra in uploads everyday than the values I had seen prior and post Pando Media booster.

I'm not sure why your sniffer gives you results so low, however when it's my ISP that's charging me, it's their word I'm going to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaiko View Post
So is it ok to uninstall that ****ty thing and still be able to play?

(Sorry if I missed it in the earlier pages)
Yes, Uninstalling has no effect on gameplay.
And nobody I've talked to has said it has any impact on patch installation.
However, I believe "Cyrad" said it helps him download patches as his net is less than desireable, but I have no way to verify this.

From mine and others experience I've never had any problems since uninstalling it.

EFG

02-17-2011

o red would touch this thread with a 10 foot pole sadly. They'll never acknowledge that they are pulling a stunt like this on their players

Not a Cobra

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFG View Post
o red would touch this thread with a 10 foot pole sadly. They'll never acknowledge that they are pulling a stunt like this on their players
Well that's just the thing isn't it?

You can sort of get an idea how underhanded this is when the people in charge would rather post jokes in "so and so is OP" threads than address a real issue costing real people real money.

Riot, I am displeased.

Not a Cobra

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ig B View Post
bump
^-- that.

DeadRamza

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Cobra View Post
^-- that.
(2)