Pando Media Booster; Uncool.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

spongeAddict

02-17-2011

doesn't appear to be running in the background, and I recall uninstalling it in previous installations of LoL. Most businesses use torrents now to share their games, it's cheaper and easier on their servers.

Aranneas

Recruiter

02-17-2011

It is definitely used by the patching software, at least by default. I can't confirm whether the software will work without it, because I also use other programs that depend upon it and I'm not going to get rid of it for the sake of an easier experience with League.

However I've never had an issue with it running in the background, unannounced or otherwise. Perhaps I ticked off some setting somewhere that makes it stop doing this; if so I don't recall.

Not a Cobra

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Fury View Post
You all agreed to the software when you created an account, downloaded and installed the game. Or did you all not actually read the Terms or Service and EULA?

You embarass human beings when you use the asinine argument "Nobody told us" when it is really "I didn't read"
Could you please link me to wear in the ToS or End User Lisence Agreement there was a paragraph that read "I give permission for my computer to be used as a bandwidth slave and continuously upload data without prompting me for further permission, nor giving me any indication that this process is occurring"
-spits out the cynicism pill-
Alternately, just link me to the bit that tells me it's downloaded at all, because I honestly didn't see it when I read through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranneas View Post
However I've never had an issue with it running in the background, unannounced or otherwise. Perhaps I ticked off some setting somewhere that makes it stop doing this; if so I don't recall.
It's too low level second by second to effect game performance much, unless you have a very poor internet connection.
However, as I've mentioned, the real problem is for those of us who pay for uploads, and while it may be unnoticeable (hell, some would say hidden) it's still a large amount over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSquared View Post
I'm not doubting this, as I've heard it before, but....

I've never attempted to remove PMB, and it's not here on my laptop. Not in the background, or when the launchpad/login screen is up, or in the pvp.net client.
It's very hard to find usually.
Check your computers services and processes from all users, it's name is usually svchost.exe in addition, in your performance monitor you can see it under the network tab.
Lastly, check your "add or remove programs" area of the control panel, if will usually show up there.

Slymerz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2011

i just deleted this bs from comp. i saw it the other day when i had to ReInstall LoL cause of there copy errors errrrrrrrrr

Phynal

02-17-2011

I usually uninstall PMB whenever it comes with a program. It is incredibly annoying to deal with.

I use Revo Uninstaller to find it and uninstall it. So much faster than digging through my files.

lolangeles

02-17-2011

I smell a potential lawsuit. Any lawyers here?

A case could be made to recoup expenses from Australian users for bandwidth theft.

for example. $100/mo 10gb bandwidth cap. Riot stealthly stole 4gb. That's $40 to refund the Australian person. now times that by 200,000 Australians is 8million dollars Riot owes.

I can bet you there are some lawyers who would pursue this for a cut of that.

edit: this also falls under copyright laws I just googled and it's illegal

Aranneas

Recruiter

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Cobra View Post
It's too low level second by second to effect game performance much, unless you have a very poor internet connection.
However, as I've mentioned, the real problem is for those of us who pay for uploads, and while it may be unnoticeable (hell, some would say hidden) it's still a large amount over time.
You misunderstand, but perhaps I was unclear. I said nothing about affecting performance. I meant that it does not run in the background for me. I'll run a program breakdown program (breakdown program) and it is not extant in any fashion. I only have it running while downloading a patch or installation.

Cyrad

02-17-2011

PMB does help with the patches. Without it, it takes ages for a patch to run through my crappy net.

I don't think it's bad, but it does randomly use up resources.

Settraxi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolangeles View Post
I smell a potential lawsuit. Any lawyers here?

A case could be made to recoup expenses from Australian users for bandwidth theft.

for example. $100/mo 10gb bandwidth cap. Riot stealthly stole 4gb. That's $40 to refund the Australian person. now times that by 200,000 Australians is 8million dollars Riot owes.

I can bet you there are some lawyers who would pursue this for a cut of that.

edit: this also falls under copyright laws I just googled and it's illegal
You really think so? Come on man, you don't think you didn't agree to this via the EULA? You really think tencent is going to lose? Find me a lawyer that wants to waste his time with international litigation versus american and chinese companies...see you in 10 years. Tl;dr: leagur players are so dumb sometimes

Nosef

02-17-2011

Thanks for the info I will be looking into this on my comp.