Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Malzahar Build Idea Suggestions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TooManyPossums

02-18-2011

With malzahar, I usually start with an Amplifying tome and one pot. I tend not to get harassed too often for fear of getting caught in my e and/or q till later on in the laning phase.

My build looks like this:
Amp Tome + health pot
Lvl 1 Boots + blasting wand/giant's belt (pending why i am back at shop)
CDR boots + finish off rylai's
Tears of the Goddess + Start Rabadon's
Finish Rabadon's and archangel if possible
Then its all match specific if the match lasts long enough for this. i.e. Void staff for more Mag Pen, Mejai's if you have high K/D/A ratio (the mejai's would be bought a little earlier than now)

I love the cdr boots on mal due to his little voidlings. They can be quite useful when enough of them are out.

Scape the Goat

02-18-2011

Zyxban nailed it on the head. The most successful build I've had with Malzahar(my main) is to start with a tome and a potion and grab solo lane.

First thing I do is upgrade the tome to a revolver, then I buy my first boots. From there I buy the two AP components of Rylai's, the rod and the tome, then I finish my sorc boots. Afterwards I grab the belt for Rylai's and finish that.

From there I usually build a Deathcap, then I upgrade the Revolver into a Will of the Ancients, and after that, build myself a Void Staff.

Anything else is situational, depending on what the other team is building.

So I end up with

Will of the Ancients
Sorc Boots
Rylai's
Deathcap
Void Staff

I'm sure you could swap out Sorc boots for CDR boots and work in another CDR item, or build yourself a BV for survivability, but I find with my playstyle, I don't generally need them.

Simply Chaotic

02-18-2011

Quote:
Mirelyght:
i'm sorry guys but i've been playing malzahar since he was released and your just gimping yourself with archangels. rushing tear of the goddess? for the love of the game why? malz has built in mana regen....add some mana per lvl per 5 yellows and with proper malefic visions management you never need to be worried.

When I rush Tear of the Goddess, with anyone, its not for the increased mana/regen. Its so I can get my mana stat increase going. The Meki typically does the job of managing mana, well enough.

However, in Malzahar's case, rushing TotG means better farming and a stronger late game. I tend to play more defensive in the early game, spamming Visions and the occasional CotV. I try to force the enemy into making a mistake, rather than force myself upon him and possibly be the one that makes a mistake. Once I get Blasting Wand or NLR (normally before clvl10) then I switch to aggressive play, and with my superior mana pool and equal DPS, I'm a bigger threat.

However, you're way works well too, I used to play that way. I'd start with Amp Tomb and last shot with Visions to keep my mana up. It generally worked out well for me. But against an aggressive laner, I didn't have the effective mana to harass+farm as well.

To each his own.

SabbathViper

02-18-2011

Quote:
Simply Chaotic:
When I rush Tear of the Goddess, with anyone, its not for the increased mana/regen. Its so I can get my mana stat increase going. The Meki typically does the job of managing mana, well enough.

However, in Malzahar's case, rushing TotG means better farming and a stronger late game. I tend to play more defensive in the early game, spamming Visions and the occasional CotV. I try to force the enemy into making a mistake, rather than force myself upon him and possibly be the one that makes a mistake. Once I get Blasting Wand or NLR (normally before clvl10) then I switch to aggressive play, and with my superior mana pool and equal DPS, I'm a bigger threat.

However, you're way works well too, I used to play that way. I'd start with Amp Tomb and last shot with Visions to keep my mana up. It generally worked out well for me. But against an aggressive laner, I didn't have the effective mana to harass+farm as well.

To each his own.

You don't need mana items with Malzahar. I don't even have mana regeneration runes on him and I never run out, mid or otherwise. Malefic Visions is simply too powerful to ride through multiple creep waves, doing ridiculous damage, farming tons of gold at a steady pace, and keeping your mana topped off.

Hell, earlier today with just a couple casts of MV, I had a mid lane mundo at half life and at his tower in mid, AFTER he'd already used his ultimate to heal up - I think I had just last hit the entire time and cast MV maybe, 5 times total?

The only people who need mana regeneration items on Malz are those who constantly throw down the hot-tub-of-death and toss voids around, doing minimal damage, blowing mana.. and not accomplishing much. With MV alone you can continually keep enemies at low health, or far enough back from the creeps (due to fear of MV) that they can't last hit anything.

Win win situation.