Configuring LoL in WINE?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Veil

11-16-2009

Getting through installation and EULA using the newest wine beta on Karmic Ubuntu 9.10 was easy but I'm crashing on launcher too. I'm pretty sure the problem is AIR. I hope the MAC version is easier to get working on Linux once released unless someone can make out how to get the windows version working with wine.

Panet it Comedet

11-27-2009

just in case it will run someday:
does it support OpenGL?
if no, it would most likely unplayable even if it starts, thats what i experienced on weaker machines with Warcraft 3 but in OpenGL mode its just super fast and and the performance matches a native Windows installation easily(i can even play it on a single core and an intel video card, on highest settings! btw: im talkin about notebook hardware )

just my 2cents about the difference between directx and OpenGL support under Wine...

Yome

12-04-2009

hi everyone,

I've the same problem : i want to play on linux (especially ubuntu).

If you want to boost the wine's developper, you can vote for the bug at this adress :

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20296

currently there are only 9 votes but I hope if this number grow up very quickly, they will take the problem seriously.

TheOneRing

12-08-2009

Hi it seems to me that lol.launcher.exe is the problem because the Lol.Client.exe starts without problems but the client reports a connection error (same on windows).
So how to start the client exe without the launcher?

Avongard

12-17-2009

I got it into the actual client (no actual gameplay/fullscreen, but I could log in, update the game, manage my runes, stuff like that). I used winetricks before installing to tweak my wineprefix a bit. I believe it was the dotnet that might have done the trick, but I'm not entirely sure.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

12-18-2009
1 of 10 Riot Posts

I just want to drop by to encourage you guys: you're doing both Riot and LoL's (potential) Linux playerbase a huge service by working on this. I wish you luck on getting this running!

TarK0

12-22-2009

Avongard can u post a little how to ? thankx.

Dolittle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-23-2009

I am also interested in how you got into the client. It would be awesome to finally not have to boot into Windows for anything.

chaphal3

12-24-2009

For those who are sticking at the EULA:

I noticed on my windows ****top from 2002 (No, it doesn't actually run the game), there is a file called "launcher_options.ini"; said file isn't present in the game folder in wine. I manually created the file with the following text (stolen from the other PC):

[config]
P2PEnabled=1
RateLimitEnabled=1
RateLimitUp=25000
RateLimitDown=0
FirstEULAAccepted=1
PatchEULAAccepted=1

Now it now longer sticks at the EULA, but the launcher becomes a zombie process and does nothing. Perhaps we need to manually replicate all the files found on the windows installations that don't show up through wine... or maybe someone should just reprogram a client from scratch.

I know this is pretty useless since I didn't get the game running, but hopefully someone else will know how to move forward from here.

Loch

12-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneRing View Post
Hi it seems to me that lol.launcher.exe is the problem because the Lol.Client.exe starts without problems but the client reports a connection error (same on windows).
So how to start the client exe without the launcher?
Yes, but the launcher is what downloads the updates. It's quite possible the connection error is simply Maestro refusing to respond to an outdated client, either on purpose or because the protocol has changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avongard View Post
I got it into the actual client (no actual gameplay/fullscreen, but I could log in, update the game, manage my runes, stuff like that). I used winetricks before installing to tweak my wineprefix a bit. I believe it was the dotnet that might have done the trick, but I'm not entirely sure.
That's encouraging! Do you have any more details? I'm using that latest version of wine and winetricks and still getting the launcher crash.