how to tell if an attack is magic or physical?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arlando

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2010

i was wondering if there is a guide or some way to tell if a champions spell does magic or physical. is there a guide or table that breaks it down for each? or at least just for twisted fates abilities.

maybe it seems obvious to most but this is why im confused. the only champion i have ever really played is gangplank. his parley has all the attributes of a physical attack, can be dodged, procs melee bonuses, crits, however, it does magical dmg. i realize this is a unique spell, but because of it and the fact that ive played him and only him for so long, it causes confusion with other champions now. magic penetration is a big thing to me when playing gangplank to push out major parley dmg. my friend has just started playing twisted fate and i was suggesting that mpen items might be beneficial if his attacks were magic like my parley, but i dont know if they are. thanks in advance.

Captain Scro

01-26-2010

If you press q,w,e or r to do damage then 99.9% of the time its magical damage.

If its auto-attack, then its physical.

Parrrrrrley is magical damage even tho it seems physical

lionheart5656

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2010

Use the force. Watching Space Balls will help you with this.

Arlando

01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scro View Post
If you press q,w,e or r to do damage then 99.9% of the time its magical damage.

If its auto-attack, then its physical.

Parrrrrrley is magical damage even tho it seems physical
not quite sure you read the post. i said parrrrley was magical. its not that it "seems" physical, its because it can be dodged and can crit, things other spells dont do. think about your answer. if theres an exception to the rule (which saying 99.9% suggests), then any ability could be that exception, which completely defeats what i was asking, what i was asking how do i know what the exceptions to the rules are, which i found answered elsewhere. separating the abilities into certain groups allow you to specify 100% which are magical and which are physical. there are actually no exceptions to the rules. i do appreciate your response.

i havent tested the results and dont plan on it. the posts seemed to be accepted widely so i will verify them as i need to. sorry if this post contains inaccuracies, if you find any let me know and ill change them.

what i found out. there are alot of gray areas with abilities. as expected, any ability, such as mundos ult, that buff your character do not change your autoattack to magical. however, abilities that modify attacks such as ashes frost arrow and sivirs ricochet do not create magical damage. some people said that if ap effects the ability then than means its magical, however, this wasnt always the case as some abilities dmg is completely based on the physical dmg of a champion and do not scale with ap.

in summary, if its an ability on its own (not a modification of the autoattack), and not a buff, it is a 100% chance its magical damage.

BRB FARMING TOP

01-26-2010

For Twisted Fate I would assume it's ability power..although his two out of his three pick-a-cards are dodgeable, one in fact is not. For my TF I always just stack ability power anyway, and I would assume magical damage goes hand-in-hand with AP

Milskidasith

01-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlando View Post
in summary, if its an ability on its own (not a modification of the autoattack), and not a buff, it is a 100% chance its magical damage.
Wrong. Cho'gath's Feast is True Damage, blocked by neither armor nor magic resist. Bow before Cho'gath, your one true god. Also, I'm pretty sure Corki's gatling gun is physical damage, as well, because IIRC it lowers armor, and again IIRC it dealt more damage as it went on, so it had to be physical.

In short: You are wrong.