Malzahar Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Walrus Whisperer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2011

So I've been looking on sites like Leaguecraft and Mobafire for Malzahar builds and the ones I've found are ridiculously useless or outdated (zhonya's ring lulz).

This is the build I use on him that consistently nets me a positive KD and wins most games I play with him. It is pretty standard for ap casters in general but let me know what you think.

(It should be noted that 99% of the time, Malzahar should be the champ going mid. He is an amazing pusher and an extremely strong 1v1 champ if played well, and his abilities would almost certainly be wasted anywhere but mid)

Take Ghost and Ignite for summoner abilities (flash works well too for getting in range for your W+R combo but I prefer the higher mobility Ghost allows)

9/0/21 Masteries for magic pen, improved ghost, move speed, and gold per second. The rest can be whatever really

Runes: Magic Pen Marks, Scaling Mana per 5 Seals, Flat Cooldown Glyphs, and Move Speed Quints (I REALLY like mobility if you couldn't tell. When weighted against the AP quints you could get, it is either an extra 12 damage on your E and Q skills which I find insignificant, or 4.5% increased move speed for extra gankability and lane traveling.)

Skill order for the first 6 goes E,Q,E,Q,W,R. This allows you to pull off your W+R kill combo asap. From there, prioritize like so: R,E,Q,W.

And finally items:
Two options to start with. Either a Meki Pendant along with two HP pots to start towards Tears, OR Doran's Ring and wait for the extra 35 gold to get one HP pot then rush to mid with all that extra move speed. YES I know you are thinking "Lol newby newb stupid newb stupid stupid newb stupid" BUT here is the logic behind it. That one HP pot is 200 extra points of survivability. Every time I have done this, the enemy mid has not yet pushed to the tower and only one of their minions has been killed. Malzahar, being one of the best pushers in the game, will be able to retrieve that lost ground in mere seconds. All you really lost for that health pot is one minion kill worth of xp or potential gold. It is worth it, trust me.

From there, Sorcerer's boots, build or finish Archangel's, then grab Rylai's scepter for more survivability, ap, and a GLORIOUS CC aside from your ulti (hehe, Rylai's with malefic. Just think about it)

Now you have to make a decision. Next item is either Void staff or Rabadon's. I've done the math behind this so just trust me on this next bit. If they have some really beefy tanks on their team with tons of life and resist (Fed Cho'Gath, Mundo, Mordekaiser etc.) and your team needs a tank cracker, you want void staff. The 40% reduction on this trumps the flat power Rabadon's can give you against tanks. If they have a relatively squishy team, go for Rabadon's because with your runes, masteries, and sorc boots, you are most likely already negating all their mag resistance.

And there you have your base build for a MAXIMUM of 11135 gold. It's cheap and powerful. what more can you want.

After this you can grab whatever, preferably more ap. Will of the ancients gives your some more survivability, while Deathfire is just plain silly fun with the amount of damage you already do.

(Some of you will argue "BUH WHAY NO MAGAIS SOLSTEEL?!?!" and my answer is this. For majai's to be efficient, you need 6 stacks on it, and if you manage to get 6 stacks on it, you are likely to have won anyways. Majai's does you jack squat if your team isn't already dominating, my build can easily help you turn a game around. In addition, when people see you getting stacks on the majai's, who do you think is going to get focused down first in a team fight?)

And tada, thats my build. Lemme know what you think, or troll me, or whatever it is you kids do these days.

AntennasToHeaven

02-15-2011

I take Flash/Ignite. I start with Doran's Ring. Skill order is QEEWER for first 6. I cast Q 3 times before leaving Summoner's Platform. Stay back, focus on last hitting until level 2. At 2, you have a Voidling and Malefic Visions, which means you farm the next creep wave extremely fast. You should quickly have the lane advantage now. On your first time back, try to get one or two health potions and Ionian Boots of Lucidity. Next, get preferably a Needlessly Large Rod, or a Blasting Wand for a Rabadon's Deathcap. Finish the Deathcap, then build an Archangel's Staff if you're doing well. If you haven't gotten many kills, or you're not doing well, build a Rylai's Crystal Scepter (this path forgoes the Archangel's Staff completely, for sake of using less money and more survivability quicker). If you built the Archangel's Staff, the next item is Rylai's. If you built the Rylai's the next item is Abyssal Scepter. Finish your build with either Abyssal Scepter or Rylai's depending on what you got the last time. I like to leave a space for utility/situational items, such as defensive items, like Thornmail. You can add a Deathfire's Grasp, but I don't really like using it.

Walrus Whisperer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-15-2011

By the way, it is Usually good Manners to reply with a Post.

(I am so freaking clever)